GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB tuning?!

gonzo511

Ready to race!
I just moved to NJ from an inspection-free state. I haven't done the inspection myself yet, but have done some reading on what to expect. They just plug in the computer to check the emissions systems.

Unfortunately, they check for readiness of all emissions systems. Stage 2 tunes typically disable rear 02 readiness so you don't get a CEL from your downpipe.

So far I've heard of two options:

1) reinstall stock downpipe and flash back to stock

2) install rear 02 spacer and reflash to stage 1

Same here, I got some occasional -2.25 pull when it's hot out on when I was Eurodyne stage 1.

I thought the cobb stage 2 didn't clear the check engine light from a dp install. I have a spacer on mine and drove around for a while before tuning and didn't throw a code.

You can pass NJ inspection without headlights installed in your car. Pretty sure you'll be ok. They only run exhaust test if you have an engine light, no?

Yeah they just plug the car in and check codes and they might drive it over a camera? Not 100% sure.

In any case I'll just flash to stock just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
I thought the cobb stage 2 didn't clear the check engine light from a dp install. I have a spacer on mine and drove around for a while before tuning and didn't throw a code.

The COBB stage 2 flash cleared my downpipe CEL light.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
The cobb stage 2 tune definitely clears the CEL

gonzo511

Ready to race!
The cobb stage 2 tune definitely clears the CEL

The COBB stage 2 flash cleared my downpipe CEL light.

Good to know. I didn't realize since I put a spacer on and then tuned. Never had a CEL. So since it does that would I just have to flash down to stage 1 to pass my inspection?

mophisto

Ready to race!
I hit it with some MAF cleaner over the weekend. That didn't seem to help, However, I took the cover off the filter tray thing and that seems to have cleaned up the issue. Maybe. we'll see.

So removing the cover from the Filter tray seems to have cleaned up the rev hang issues, but now I'm popping codes (P0101 & P2177) and I'm seemingly having MAF reading issues. Cobb support seems to think I have a boost leak - but since I've only changed the intake (reinstalled twice now) and since I can change the behavior by changing the intake itself, I think Cobb just pooched their R&D, which is sad.

I've got a maf airflow straightener coming (recommended somewhere back in the bowels of this thread I believe) but I'm starting to think the only way to truly fix the Cobb Intake is to not buy it in the first place :(

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Good to know. I didn't realize since I put a spacer on and then tuned. Never had a CEL. So since it does that would I just have to flash down to stage 1 to pass my inspection?

theoretically yes... Make sure to flash down to stage 1 or stock then drive over 100 miles to make sure your CEL doesn't come on because if it comes on during the inspection you will fail. Keep in mind I'm in California and do not have full knowledge of Jersey inspection laws

jon570

Ready to race!
Does Cobb have any idea when they will be able to use the launch control or even a no lift shift like the subarus have in their ap?

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Does Cobb have any idea when they will be able to use the launch control or even a no lift shift like the subarus have in their ap?

I doubt you will get an answer but go to their website and contact them

gonzo511

Ready to race!
theoretically yes... Make sure to flash down to stage 1 or stock then drive over 100 miles to make sure your CEL doesn't come on because if it comes on during the inspection you will fail. Keep in mind I'm in California and do not have full knowledge of Jersey inspection laws

Ahh good point. I was just going to flash in the DMV parking lot before the inspection. Well if that works for California inspections, which I hear are a PITA then I should be able to pass NJs.

urbanevil

Ready to race!
Ahh good point. I was just going to flash in the DMV parking lot before the inspection. Well if that works for California inspections, which I hear are a PITA then I should be able to pass NJs.

Don't do this. When you flash you will reset sensors, that need to run 20-60 miles to pass readiness. Just a heads up.

SirClimax

Ready to race!

Oh that still wouldn't be enough to pass the visual inspection in California lol

jkristie44

I keep getting Codes no matter what I do. I get
P 2177 system to lean off Idol bank one and P0101 mass or air volume circ. Range performance. This is with replacing my MAF and getting a smoke test. (twice each)
My tuner seems to think its the intake. I don't know.
I'll go do a 91 octane log and see if that does anything different.

I am getting these same two codes with the stage 1+ and Cobb intake. Has anyone resolved this? I have a new maf sensor and Africa plate with catch can, so I have ruled those 2 out. Thanks in advance.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
I am getting these same two codes with the stage 1+ and Cobb intake. Has anyone resolved this? I have a new maf sensor and Africa plate with catch can, so I have ruled those 2 out. Thanks in advance.

That post was in June of 2016 lol

this opens a big door for tuning. Cobb is somewhat local. would love to get this and get a map for meth!

pick me COBB for testing! lol

I have 2 Cobb pro tunes with meth inject and absolutely love it. Not familiar with other tuners out there. Been fantastic for long trips, local commute or just having the added power for kicking a__ over those who don’t know what is under the hood. Dyno came in at 320hp