GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forgive an old man, but why so low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTiBri

I'll admit, I'm an old guy in this crowd at 43. I had a '83 GTI I owned and drove for 14 years. I love the performance and handling of my current '11 6sp GTI, and it has continued to deliver a smile each time I drive it.

Aside from the smaller wheel gap some desire, what is driving reason behind so many Dubbers wanting to put air bags or coil springs on their car to lower them to the bump stops? Doesn't it ride like a covered wagon and destroy what makes the GTI shine as a hot hatch? :yikes:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
LOL.... A++++

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I'll admit, I'm an old guy in this crowd at 43. I had a '83 GTI I owned and drove for 14 years. I love the performance and handling of my current '11 6sp GTI, and it has continued to deliver a smile each time I drive it.

Aside from the smaller wheel gap some desire, what is driving reason behind so many Dubbers wanting to put air bags or coil springs on their car to lower them to the bump stops? Doesn't it ride like a covered wagon and destroy what makes the GTI shine as a hot hatch? :yikes:

Sweet first post...

:laugh:

Just wait till you see some wheel poke and useless giant roof racks...

DummyBear

Ready to race!
"becuz racecar"

Bender1

Banned

Living in New Mexico (and an old fart too) I would smash the living shit out of the bottom of the car if it were any lower. I seriously considered a Subie just because it's more rally.

How do the cars that are lowered that much do on normal roads? Do you guys find yourself rubbing the road or the car often? Looks like that's what would happen but I've never been in one like that so I really don't know.

Ready to race!
I like this post.

I'm definatly not a fan of poke or tuck on these cars. It is a dramatic look. Granted I like to see a car slammed. I just think this is the wrong car for that.

They do it for the wow factor.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion

I like where this thread is going.....

I'm 41 and agree on the airbags and stretched tires and skateboard wheel offsets...

I've got the Driver Gear springs to make the car look right (to me) and handle a little better, but I believe more was achieved with the sway bars and my tires.

I come from the days where you don't hit the bump stops EVER, and your wheels should stay inside the fenders.

I think some GTI'ers really liked this look and went with it:

:D

GTiBri

I know, I outed myself on post#1 for being "out of touch", but I've been a lurker for almost a year and decided this would be a fun way to join the group, lol. I admit I do like to see a car set up on springs that make it look purposeful and geared towards handling (see APR's track cars). I've seen a few GTIs in person slammed, and the wheels and tires barely tucked up under the fenders. I always wondered if the wheel made contact often with those setups?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I know, I outed myself on post#1 for being "out of touch", but I've been a lurker for almost a year and decided this would be a fun way to join the group, lol. I admit I do like to see a car set up on springs that make it look purposeful and geared towards handling (see APR's track cars). I've seen a few GTIs in person slammed, and the wheels and tires barely tucked up under the fenders. I always wondered if the wheel made contact often with those setups?

You bet your ass it made contact.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

Yes it does exactly what you say.
the Automotive equivalent of sagging jeans or foot binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.