GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! 2013 GLI or 2013 GTI?

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
GTI all the way, new Jetta even in GLI form feels like a dumbed down American car, I would get a CC before a Jetta if I had to have more rear seat room than a GTI.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The reasons I went with the GTI are:

1. The Jetta is just a little too anonymous for me (especially in America where everyone drives saloons). The redesign left it with somehow even less character than a Camry. The GLI Autobahn improves it somewhat, but the GTI is still a better looking car.

2. Everyone's saying space in the back is a point for the GLI, but I just don't see how. I've played this game with other cars, and lots of storage space is useless if it's height-limited and restricted by a small opening.

3. The GLI Autobahn fixes some of the cheapening done to the Jetta's interior, but some of the differences compared to the Golf are still there and they'd annoy me every time I got in.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
GTI is more fun to drive although they are a bit similar. Since you have a 2 year old, you might want to consider practicality. GLI will definitely have more space and has a close feeling of the GTI. If this will be the only car you have, for practical reasons, go with the GLI. But if you have a second car either sedan or SUV then go with the GTI. Definitely more fun to drive.

boosted27

Go Kart Champion
Id say GTI ! Id driven both.. the GTI is more for me...

WHY? Wasnt a fan of how the GLI felt... didnt like the interior as much,GTI had a nicer sound, I enjoyed the look of the GTI wheels more, the front was very plain to me... Never once thought about a GLI.

Funny enough, id take MK4 GLI over a MK4 GTI.

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an 11' GTI 2 door and a 12' jetta tdi. The driver ergonomics of the GTI are superior IMHO and something I immediately notice when I drive the Jetta. Everything in the gti can be reached with the minimalist movement from the steering wheel. In the Jetta the power windows controls are awkward as is the position of the touch screen radio. Not a big deal, but you do appreciate the GTI for such a well thought out layout. I like the rearward lane changing visibility of the jetta over the GTI, although the 4 door gti maybe closer to the jetta in this regard. Not sure if the GLI shares the gear throws with the TDI but they are much closer then that of the gti. The Jetta has a huge trunk, the cargo area in the GTI is much smaller unless the seats are folded down. So if planning family trips is in your future the Jetta would be the better choice imo. The jetta is what we drive when we all hit the road, but the 49mpg's factors in a bit :)

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I went through a similar problem. I first tried out the GLI it was nice when there was nothing to compare to. Once I got in the Autobahn GTI it was a completely different feeling. The seats were much more nicely bolstered and they used real leather. My only regret for not getting a GLI was lack of DualZone climate control but, usually I have no passengers. Another thing is it felt like the GLI had a little more road noise. Get the GTI you won't regret it.

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I test drove both the 2012 GTI and GLI and went with the GLI, primarily because it doubles as an around town car for the family (wife and two kids). I agree with most of the comments above that the GTI is a nicer looking car, but the GLI was a better blend of sportiness and practicality for my needs. I hope practicality is a word.

Either way, I think you will enjoy your VW.

smithersperrot

GTI is more enjoyable

I drove a 2012 GTI and a 2012 GLI back to back and found the GTI to be much more enjoyable to drive, no contest. The ride, the handling and the sound of the engine were completely different. Also, the materials on the GTI seemed higher end. Even though the GLI was about $2500 cheaper here in Canada, I went with the GTI for those reasons. Personally, I also like the look of the GTI better. I have 2 young kids and there is plenty of room in the 5 door GTI.

Last edited:

SABOtage

Ready to race!
GTI-Better versatility, fun to drive quotient, better quality and IMO better looking.

GLI is still a great car,but it just doesn't provide that same "specialness" Iget with the GTI. Ultimately, it comes down to how you feel about the car and if it suits your life better. Oh, and price:D

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
Personal Question.

i like the hatch: More room for bike and furnature and what not.

sedan is also nice. The sleek back and other nice fetures.

Overall I would say hatch.