GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Luc2352
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5
Question Exhaust Comparison

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase an aftermarket cutback exhaust for my 2.5. A local garage has suggested the Borla product which seems to cost a lot less than the other options (Magnaflow, eurojet, AWE, etc). Would anyone be able to recommend the Borla exhaust and why the vast difference in price? Looking to get decent quality while staying as cost efficient as possible.

Cheers!
Luc2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Borla, best sounding one out there!! no doubt!
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
CScalzo7
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 Graphite Blue
If I were you I would look to see if there are any local shops nearby that do custom exhausts. I see you're from Toronto and so am I, you should try looking at GT Customs Exhaust. They do amazing work and they have locations in Oshawa, Pickering and Courtice. I went to the shop in Courtice and got a custom catback exhaust for my 2.5 and they did great work on my car! My golf sounds unreal and I still have my stock cat, a high flow resonator and a high flow muffler. Highly recommended especially in the GTA.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
Luc2352
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice!
Luc2352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
thumpr
Autocross Champion

Drives: '10 CW GTI, '06 Passat
I had Borla on my MKV Rabbit and it sounded phenomenal. And even after 3 years in harsh New England winters, it still looked brand new when I traded it.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
ExcelerateRep

Drives: TDI
The Borla sounds great too, and hard to beat for the money, although I am partial to the AWE systems. If you would like price on any of these feel free to shoot me a pm!
ExcelerateRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Boondock
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Mk7
I just put a Eurojet on my Mk5 last week. Motor/exhaust is identical to the Mk6 Golf.

Used my GoPro Hero 3+ Black with a Polar Pro USB Microphone attached to the license plate.

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
intanetfreak
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 Golf Wagon
Here. Scroll down to the Exhaust Section

And heres my AWE on my wagon. Its got a different tone from the regular Golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
Bro bonding time that ends with a release? Damn, you must be sore after 3 hours of that.
intanetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Not sure how much this helps but I had a borla on my mk4 vr6. It sounded awesome and I had it on for almost 6 years and never had a single problem with it. The only negative was that it droned a ton. I think the majority of that might have been from hidden turn down tips.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors

Last edited by sterkrazzy; 05-05-2015 at 06:34 PM.
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #10
ChrisW.
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Golf 6
I'm surprised you all prefer Borla over Magnaflow.

This clip alone has me ready to go 2.5" non resonated Magnaflow

http://youtu.be/bm3ED74IMNM
ChrisW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
mycrors7
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: haleyann
Send a message via AIM to mycrors7
Chris you should buy the custom catback im selling

Aurora's Build Thread | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed 25mm FSB and RSB | Vogtland Coilovers | Ed's Cherry LED Tails | Beluga Catback | Scirocco GT Steering Wheel | 17" Denvers | Sasquatchola/SasquatchSnapshots
At the end of the day, you're the one driving a turbo yaris, not me.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #12
ChrisW.
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Chris you should buy the custom catback im selling
I'm listening....
Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #13
mycrors7
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: haleyann
Send a message via AIM to mycrors7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW. View Post
I'm listening....

the audio in the last is muffled so bad, but when the engine is cold(or even cold weather) you gets lots of pops and gargles.

it's a magnaflow straight through muffler

so basically unless you are flooring it, it isn't going to be very loud

in the first video my friend is driving around and when he floors it, you can hear it open up. most of the time he is barely touching the throttle(hence the engine winding noise)

didnt attract cops
sounded great

it's not as deep as some people would like

most custom set ups sound better than name brand stuff cause it's different and wont cost as much as a name brand catback

im all for a custom set up. sounds better(imo), more unique than the norm and cheaper.

mine has oem sized piping and press bends. went the cheaper route since exhaust doesnt make a noticeable difference in performance unless you go catless/hi flow cat and do headers plus a tune

Aurora's Build Thread | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed 25mm FSB and RSB | Vogtland Coilovers | Ed's Cherry LED Tails | Beluga Catback | Scirocco GT Steering Wheel | 17" Denvers | Sasquatchola/SasquatchSnapshots
At the end of the day, you're the one driving a turbo yaris, not me.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:38 AM   #14
ChrisW.
Touring Car Champion

See i'd like mine louder than that. That's why I'm looking to do a 2.5" non resonated set up.