GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old Today, 09:58 AM   #5951
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
If you're K04 there is absolutely NO reason to waste time/money/energy on the F23. If you want to go big turbo, expect to pay at least 3k for a used kit and a base tune. If you don't have either a lot of money or a lot of knowledge big turbo is not the way to go.

In my opinion, stay K04. It's reliable, it works, you don't have to mess with it. Take your 3k and buy either a Miata for the track or something with an LS motor.

I wouldn't even worry about the rods. 99% of rod failure on the TSI seem to be either fueling related on oil related.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:12 AM   #5952
ryanbmk6
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI REVO stg1
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
If you're K04 there is absolutely NO reason to waste time/money/energy on the F23. If you want to go big turbo, expect to pay at least 3k for a used kit and a base tune. If you don't have either a lot of money or a lot of knowledge big turbo is not the way to go.

In my opinion, stay K04. It's reliable, it works, you don't have to mess with it. Take your 3k and buy either a Miata for the track or something with an LS motor.

I wouldn't even worry about the rods. 99% of rod failure on the TSI seem to be either fueling related on oil related.

The gti is my second car. It is the project car.

I'm pretty knowledgeable. I've built motors before (Nissan stuff). The hardware is absolutely not a problem. The only thing I leave to the pros is the tuning. I've got enough connections with people who build real race cars I could fabricate if needed. I definitely know what I'm doing. Not my first rodeo and not your standard v-dub kid lol.

I've thought a lot about building a project car, at this stage in life I don't have anywhere to build a car from the ground up. I love this car, I don't wanna get rid of it. Just wanna make it faster.

I know it's not cheap that's why I'm talking long term. I don't have $10k laying around, if I did I probably wouldn't be fucking with a gti. But money comes with time, so cost is just restricted by time. I'm not in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryanbmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #5953
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
there's a guy selling his stage 3 kit on fb for $2500 i believe. i'd pull the trigger on that. you can make good usable power and have a lot of room to grow. i'm not a big fan of the f23t either. while the numbers are impressive, moving the power up top instead of increasing the spike down low will make more, safer, usable power and is plenty of fun.

plus you don't have to spend all the money up front. get a tune and a boost controller and you can bump it up yourself as you go (i.e. adding fueling, building motor, etc.)
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #5954
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Also, I got the head off and found my issue. All of the intake-side rockers except for one came off of the lifters. It looks like the lifter retaining clips bent and then popped off. You can see the rockers slid down the valve spring but the edge stayed on the lifters, so the cams were still were able to move the valves. you can even see how the cam oscillations made them chew into the head. One of the rockers came off completely and fell into the valley between the intake/exhaust sides. You can tell by the valves that one cylinder was running super rich since it was only getting half as much air.

The good news is without rockers, the valves don't move, so no damage to the pistons still trying to figure out next steps but will for sure need a new intake cam. Everything else looks salvageable except i need new clips for the lifters.

So here are pics of what an occasional high-rpm misfire/ticking sound looks like:

If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #5955
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

double post
Quote:
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #5956
eurocars

Drives: MKV GTI
Theres a company in south africa that's been developing a fix for failures like this. I've been in contact with them about having mine done when they move to start production but it sounds like they're still a few months out

eurocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:52 AM   #5957
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

yeah that clip is pretty flimsy. i bent it back into place with 2 fingers while messing with everything and was able to get it to hold. i guess with everything under compression it's less likely to come loose but this was my fuckup in the end
Quote:
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #5958
ryanbmk6

Drives: 2011 GTI REVO stg1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
there's a guy selling his stage 3 kit on fb for $2500 i believe. i'd pull the trigger on that. you can make good usable power and have a lot of room to grow. i'm not a big fan of the f23t either. while the numbers are impressive, moving the power up top instead of increasing the spike down low will make more, safer, usable power and is plenty of fun.

plus you don't have to spend all the money up front. get a tune and a boost controller and you can bump it up yourself as you go (i.e. adding fueling, building motor, etc.)

That's not a bad idea. If I had the cash I would. But certainly something to look out for when the time comes.

And I saw your head on FB, shits crazy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryanbmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addicted to torture, blow up ur volkswagen, breaking your trans 101, failwheeldrive anonymous, fireball lives!, james'partout