GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
devondunphy
Autocross Champion

Drives: 11' GTI MK6 DSG 5DR CW
I was rear ended today...

I was on lunch at work waiting at a parking lot exit to turn into traffic fully stopped when suddenly the GTI lurched forward, I thought I had slipped off the break petal but it turns out some chick that worked at the place bumped into me from behind somehow with her old japanese what ever it was. The impact pushed me what seemed like a good foot or so forward but props to the GTI bumper! Not even so much as a scratch! There was a small scuff from her paint near the bend at the license plate but it rubbed right off with my finger. After a few minutes of looking all around I could not find any more marks, crumples, skuffs in the clear coat, cracks or anything. So I decided to be the nice guy and just told her she could just go on her way. I know it was kind of a low speed impact but with the force she hit me I was expecting the bumper to be split or cracked. Very pleased with its resistance, saved me a huge headache.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
bmanMKVI
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 4dr DSG
Seems like you still might want to get it looked at

I don't know much about this, but have heard that internal collision handling material (such as Styrofoam or plastic) can get damaged with no visible external damage.
In this case, it would mean a future bump might not work out as well.

Just an uninformed thought!
bmanMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Veracity
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK6
German cars are like bricks
Veracity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Krazy_Z
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG 6MT
Send a message via MSN to Krazy_Z
Sucks to hear you got hit, but also good to know you don't have to go without your GTI while it is getting fixed.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
LittleJohny
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CS GTI 6MT w/ RNS-510
I would've given her her shit just to scare her into being more careful next time lol
LittleJohny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
plac

Drives:
that will only happen with the flexability of oem paint. once you repaint.. forget about that.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
john@FTC5
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI
Send a message via AIM to john@FTC5 Send a message via Yahoo to john@FTC5
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
that will only happen with the flexability of oem paint. once you repaint.. forget about that.
Do u know what u r talking about?
john@FTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@FTC5 View Post
Do u know what u r talking about?
yes, i do. been thru all that w my beamer. no aftermarket paint fix will ever equal oem factory application and quality.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
john@FTC5
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI
Send a message via AIM to john@FTC5 Send a message via Yahoo to john@FTC5
Just so U know in some case even the bumper might not show crack or damage.Your absorber can get damage sometime but is not too expensive to replace if it need.
john@FTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
mortis
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI 4-door
Damage... out of sight... out of mind.

The "I love my GTI with DSG and Don't Care if it's not faster than a Camaro SS Club" Club Member
mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
GTI_likeurmom
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: Veyron 16.4
shizer!!yeah i always have to look in my rear view mirror every time i slam on the brakes to catch a red light to see if the car behind me can stop in time. i had one close call a while ago.

take it easy dude.
I cut the tether off. When I get to the pump, I remove the cap and chuck it into the nearest bush, patch of trees, or some sort of wet lands. I pump gas. Then I spend anywhere from 5 to 165 minutes retrieving the cap. I screw it back on and drive away. I'm not letting it dangle against the paint and I don't know any better way.
GTI_likeurmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
pbm317
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 5 Door
You definitely should still get the car inspected for the padding behind the plastic covering. That's where the true "bumper" is. Once it collapses from the absorbed energy of impact, it is no longer as effective.

And plac, I've never had any issues with repainted bumpers. They have great flex additives that are added at the body shop to achieve the same paint flex as original.
pbm317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
I would be shocked if there was not structural damage to the bumper - go get her insurance info and go get it checked out.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
Basil_Fawlty
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by devondunphy View Post
I was on lunch at work waiting at a parking lot exit to turn into traffic fully stopped when suddenly the GTI lurched forward, I thought I had slipped off the break petal but it turns out some chick that worked at the place bumped into me from behind somehow with her old japanese what ever it was. The impact pushed me what seemed like a good foot or so forward but props to the GTI bumper! Not even so much as a scratch! There was a small scuff from her paint near the bend at the license plate but it rubbed right off with my finger. After a few minutes of looking all around I could not find any more marks, crumples, skuffs in the clear coat, cracks or anything. So I decided to be the nice guy and just told her she could just go on her way. I know it was kind of a low speed impact but with the force she hit me I was expecting the bumper to be split or cracked. Very pleased with its resistance, saved me a huge headache.
I'm surprised your airbag didnt pop and scare the taint out of you. You should have got her number, and milk that for all its worth...
2010 GTI MKVI :: 3DR :: DSG :: CSG :: Bi-Xenon :: Dynaudio :: VW-NAV :: Sunroof :: Autobahn-Pkg :: 18" - Detroits :: LoJack :: Tinted-Windows :: APR Stage I Flash :: APR Stage I & II Carbonio Intake :: GTI Logo Floor Mats :: Rear Trunk Tray
Basil_Fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote