GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Thieutje
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Seat Ibiza
Light Assist

Can someone explain to me what light assist is ?

Is it something like the Dynamic Light Assist on the new touareg ?

thx in advance

Math.
Thieutje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
heartcoke
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Candy White DSG GTI
It's the Bi-Xenon's ability to tilt while you turn or accelerate.
2010 VW DSG 2 Door Candy White GTi // APR Stage II 1.2 Flash // APR Stage I Intake // USP Non-Catted Downpipe // 17" Denvers // Cloth Interior // Premium Dynaudio // Bi-Xenon Headlights // Tints: 5% Front, 15% Rear, 20% Strip on Front Window//
Bianca Build Thread (Other Mods Listed Here)
heartcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Yes it is Similar. The quote below is from VW of Canada'swebsite.

Quote:
Xenon headlights with dynamic and static cornering lights improve illumination of the area the vehicle is turning into by up to 90%.

Both the GTi and Touareg have this.
Quote:
With dynamic cornering lights, the beam of light follows the turning angle of the steering wheel above a speed of 10 km/h. Actuating motors in the headlight units swivel the headlights according to steering angle and vehicle speed in order to light up the bend as effectively as possible. To avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, the sweep of the dynamic cornering lights is restricted to 15 degrees. This system helps the driver to sooner pick out the course of the bend as well as obstacles, people or animals. The driver gains additional response time, and the risk of accidents is reduced considerably.

For this below, the Touareg has reflectors built into the headlight while the GTI can been modded to use it's foglights through vag-com.
Quote:
When the vehicle is stationary, an additional reflector with a separate halogen bulb behind the parking light reflector performs the function of the static cornering light. When the steering wheel is turned or the indicator activated, this static light illuminates the area the vehicle is turning into at an angle of about 35 degrees and several metres wide. This means that pedestrians waiting next to the vehicle can be seen by the driver sooner and better. The static cornering light's signalling effect also catches the attention of other road users.
The previous gen Touareg(pre-facelift) headlight is below. More information is here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	volkswagen_cornering_headlights_1.jpg
Views:	3249
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	4247  
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
danielj

Drives: 2013 BMW x135
Maybe it is me, but I don't find it helpful, rather I find the movement of the light pattern distracting.

APR Stage I/ Carbonio Stage I&II Intake/ H&R Super Sports & RSB/ 18" Avant Gardes/ OEM LED Tails/ Some cosmetic stuff/ Now I'm done modding - because I traded it in....
danielj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
koolgreen
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CSG 6mt detroits
Has anyone noticed that the headlight projection casts a shadow that looks like the car has a couple of bug antennae just in front of the car...
koolgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
tplociniak
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr 6spd
I love the cornering lights, when I drive another car without them I notice how much I miss it and it actually helps keep light where you need it
2010 GTI. 6 spd. 2 dr. 18" rs4. 17% tint. APR Stage 2. Blacked Out Grille. Blacked Out and Debadged Trunk. Tinted Side Markers. AWE DV Relocate. Ultimate Racing DP. AWE Boost Gauge. TPlociniak Intake. BFI Torque Mount Insert. Paint Matched Bumper Insert
tplociniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Chrop
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 Golf 6 TDI
Are you sure its this he asks about? In the golf 2011 there are something called High beam assist. Its like on Audi, turns on/off your high beam automatically?
Chrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
bubuski
El Moderador

Drives: MK6 GTI 5-door TR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrop View Post
Are you sure its this he asks about? In the golf 2011 there are something called High beam assist. Its like on Audi, turns on/off your high beam automatically?
Could be. VdubBully from Norway mentioned something about it in one of his posts, unfortunately we do not have that faancy feature in North America.
bubuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
shahabdin

Drives: 2010 BGP R-Line 1.4 TSI 160hp
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolgreen View Post
Has anyone noticed that the headlight projection casts a shadow that looks like the car has a couple of bug antennae just in front of the car...
Yeah, haven't had the chance to see yet but it's gotta be the eyelids surrounding the projector...

Another good spotting for the day. First Penrose with the pointless thread :LOL: and then you.

shahabdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #10
davesxx01
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 .:R
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolgreen View Post
HaHa! Yep!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Thieutje
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Seat Ibiza
It's the high beam assist i was talking about not the dynamic cornering of the headlights.
Thieutje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
Basil_Fawlty

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
Maybe it is me, but I don't find it helpful, rather I find the movement of the light pattern distracting.
I think Light bending rocks, and people on the road notice it too. I love it
2010 GTI MKVI :: 3DR :: DSG :: CSG :: Bi-Xenon :: Dynaudio :: VW-NAV :: Sunroof :: Autobahn-Pkg :: 18" - Detroits :: LoJack :: Tinted-Windows :: APR Stage I Flash :: APR Stage I & II Carbonio Intake :: GTI Logo Floor Mats :: Rear Trunk Tray
Basil_Fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote