GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 10-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Winter Tires - A little overwhelmed with options

I've been doing a ton of research and read countless threads and the more I read, the more overwhelming it all seems, so I figured I'd start over and start my own thread.

First winter with the GTI and I'm in need of a winter set of tires. Planning on putting the tires on my stock Detroits (they currently have all-seasons on) and then keeping them as my winter set. I'll buy a new set of wheels in the spring for my summer set.

So I need a set of 18" winter tires, it definitely snows here in Central Oregon and gets quite cold, but usually the snow comes in three or four large dumps throughout the year (so a lot of bare and wet road driving in-between too). I don't drive the GTI a ton (pretty much 15 miles round trip to work and a few other short around town drives - wife's car is the AWD so it's the primary car in winter). I'm looking for a solid tire that will be able to handle in the snow, but cost will be a factor and I don't have a need to go overboard.

Thanks all!
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #2
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
It might still be early, so maybe all the options might not be in stock yet, but the cheapest tire on TireRack is $144 + shipping right now

Whereas DiscountTireDirect.com has some for only $80/each (although not in stock right now) and free shipping:
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...interTires=on#

Any winter rated tire will/should do the job though, being way better than what you have, and you don't run them that long either...don't over think it
Old 10-09-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
If you can swing the upfront cost, getting some steelies and 16in winters will get you more effective snow tires and they'll be cheaper in the long run because they're smaller.

Blizzaks are phenomenal and sort of the name brand baseline. Either blizzak or Hakkas for the super serious. For budget, general Altimax winters are amazing and they seem to nearly sell out yearly.

I run a set of Yokohama winters that are totally fine - they were on sale when I first bought them and in the years since have been great.

In the end they'll mostly all be okay especially since it doesn't seem like you have any serious usage scenarios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
If you can swing the upfront cost, getting some steelies and 16in winters will get you more effective snow tires and they'll be cheaper in the long run because they're smaller.

Blizzaks are phenomenal and sort of the name brand baseline. Either blizzak or Hakkas for the super serious. For budget, general Altimax winters are amazing and they seem to nearly sell out yearly.

I run a set of Yokohama winters that are totally fine - they were on sale when I first bought them and in the years since have been great.

In the end they'll mostly all be okay especially since it doesn't seem like you have any serious usage scenarios.

General Altimax Artic + Steelies FTW. Been running these for years and haven't had any issues.

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Thanks guys, yeah, maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe I just need to go into a couple places and get some options. I've read countless amazing reviews on here about the General Altima Arctic, but unfortunately they don't come in 18's and I'd highly prefer to just keep my Detroits as my winter set. I've heard good reviews about discount tire, so maybe I'll check into them.

Thanks for the links, any further suggestions are definitely welcomed!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
voidopolis
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
I'm in Ohio and I ran 16" steelies with Blizzaks and my 2010 GTI was pretty good in the snow. I also ran Michelin AS/3's on Detroits and they were definitely not as well behaved... The AS3s were much better in dry than the blizzaks. but in snow the blizzaks were great. On my M3 I ran the Continental DWSs and they were pretty good overall, but I switched the blizzaks as the M3 needed snow tires being a rear wheel drive monster...

It sounds to me like you could get away with a good all season tire (possibly a dedicated winter). Something that is going to handle some snowy conditions and cold weather, but still needs to deal with the other days when there isn't 12 inches falling.

I like Tirerack's testing typically... and Tirerack likes Continental DWS's in their tests (they have rated them high for all season tires for quite a few years now).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=201

GL.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Jarred767
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
I'm in Ohio and I ran 16" steelies with Blizzaks and my 2010 GTI was pretty good in the snow. I also ran Michelin AS/3's on Detroits and they were definitely not as well behaved... The AS3s were much better in dry than the blizzaks. but in snow the blizzaks were great. On my M3 I ran the Continental DWSs and they were pretty good overall, but I switched the blizzaks as the M3 needed snow tires being a rear wheel drive monster...

It sounds to me like you could get away with a good all season tire (possibly a dedicated winter). Something that is going to handle some snowy conditions and cold weather, but still needs to deal with the other days when there isn't 12 inches falling.

I like Tirerack's testing typically... and Tirerack likes Continental DWS's in their tests (they have rated them high for all season tires for quite a few years now).
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=201

GL.
Thanks for the advice, trying to get away with the all seasons has definitely crossed my mind, multiple times, but if I try to do that (and it works) I have no real incentive to get a new set of summer wheels in the spring Having the extra safety would probably feel a little more comfortable too, especially since the tires aren't exactly brand new either.

decisions must be made, and soon. The snow is creeping down the mountains
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
NotMoneyGuy
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 GTI DSG, '16.5 CX5, '13 MX-5 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
^^^^ This.

Here is a real in-depth Finnish magazine tire test/comparison link, and the nice part is that the test size is 205/55R16. Happy reading!

As a Swede, I got all prepped for the coming Canadian winter by picking up my Russian-made Finnish tires yesterday. Production date of "1517" so nice and fresh (mid-April 2017).

These Nokian Hak R2 replaced a set of Gislaved Nord*Frost 5 that served me well through six winters and 46,505 km. Cheers.

https://tekniikanmaailma.fi/wp-conte...16_english.pdf

CSGM 2012 5-dr DSG, (W83 - leather / KESSY / sunroof), (WUS - 18" Serrons / fr door sill strips / door/dash inlays), 225/40R18 92H Pirelli P Zero Nero, Findway F518 Style 3D floor mats, flexible trunk liner 1K0061181, 35% tint, smoked s/m 10114 with GE 194NA, OEM lip spoiler and diffuser kit, Euro OEM R LED tails, Winter: 205/55R16 94R Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on OEM VW steelies with Tiguan wheel caps 5N0601169XRW, Late Fall / Early Spring: 17" OEM Denvers w ContiProContact
NotMoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #9
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Nokian Hakkas are the truth if you need serious snow tires. Apparently they just expanded their presence in NA this summer; hopefully their quality stays the same.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
ben_m
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: G35x / Mkvi GTI
Do yourself a favor and get a set of 16" steelies or some other used rims and mount winters on that. I have the Dunlop Winter Sports now, they are ok, a little more aggressive tread for dry traction but lots of road noise. I used to have the Michelin Ice-X, they are much better in snow. 5-6" was no problem, nor was getting up my driveway, ~30deg incline.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Last winter on my MK7 i ran 2 blizzak ws80's on my 18" stock wheels and was AMAZED at the traction I had.

Literally had no issues, and the car would turn on corners like I couldn't believe, where the rear end would come out on me just slightly which would just point me directly where I wanted to go FWD drift brooo. It was great, and I will likely do the same thing this year. If you aren't comfortable with sliding your car around, would def. recommend blizzak ws80's on all 4 corners, and of course the taller, narrower tire you can put on the better. as others have said, 16" recommended.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
Nice price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
It might still be early, so maybe all the options might not be in stock yet, but the cheapest tire on TireRack is $144 + shipping right now

Whereas DiscountTireDirect.com has some for only $80/each (although not in stock right now) and free shipping:
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/f...interTires=on#

Any winter rated tire will/should do the job though, being way better than what you have, and you don't run them that long either...don't over think it
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
elcid86
Go Kart Champion

Drives: BMW 330i ZHP, '12 Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
Last winter on my MK7 i ran 2 blizzak ws80's on my 18" stock wheels and was AMAZED at the traction I had.

Literally had no issues, and the car would turn on corners like I couldn't believe, where the rear end would come out on me just slightly which would just point me directly where I wanted to go FWD drift brooo. It was great, and I will likely do the same thing this year. If you aren't comfortable with sliding your car around, would def. recommend blizzak ws80's on all 4 corners, and of course the taller, narrower tire you can put on the better. as others have said, 16" recommended.

I have Blizzaks on my 04 BMW (RWD) and they are amazing. Itís a snow beast!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #14
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Those Nokians look just like my old Blizzaks. Stick with a good brand and I like tirerack.com for the quick reviews and more in depth surveys if you're interested in specific handling. I see some affordable Yokohamas but I might steer you towards some great Michelins for a little more. They should last a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote