GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #113
BSosa2492
Rally Car Champion

Drives: CW Gti mk6
nice car man, i have the injen intake too and really like it. the car looks good man i love the color and the rims

R.I.P Kareem you will be missed
BSosa2492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #114
kniteshift
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 VW GTI Autobahn
How do you like the Koni FSD? do you feel the ride comfort is better than stock on freeway and street?
kniteshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #115
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2015 Golf TDI SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSosa2492 View Post
nice car man, i have the injen intake too and really like it. the car looks good man i love the color and the rims
Thanks. Planning on changing the wheels to a dark bronze TSW Nurburgring here soon. Want lighter wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteshift View Post
How do you like the Koni FSD? do you feel the ride comfort is better than stock on freeway and street?
Better than stock? Not sure. I was stock for such a short time, I had springs and shocks done really quickly. They ride just fine I have zero issues or complaints with the H&R Sports and FSDs. It's like they were made for each other. That said I want to go lower so I'm heading for coils hopefully when I get home.

JP
jp0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #116
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

some mods coming down the pipe

So some things should be going on next month while I'm on leave...
Unibrace XB
Unibrace UB
TSW Nurburgring Bronze PC (from swfloridamk6, thanks Paul)
Hankook Ventus V12 (from swfloridamk6, thanks Paul)

Then if I can scrape together enough over the rest of my deployment I plan on getting...
SPAX RSX coils
APR Front and Rear Sways
brake upgrades (Lines, Pads, Fluid, and maybe the tyrolsport kit)

All in all that will complete my suspension and handling mods and I can move on to saving up for HPA Stage III and KO4. I may give water Meth a try though to tide me over while I save, so I can run my 100 oct tune and get some extra HP. Seems pretty cheap around $500 ish if I install it myself, nets me what like 20-25 HP running the 100 file? Plus WM will be good to have on board for use with KO4 in the future.

Also thinking about adding a Forge Twintercooler as opposed to upgrading to the APR IC since I already have an S3 IC. I think the Forge + S3 should equal APR efficiency? We'll see.

JP

Last edited by jp0319; 02-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #117
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW MK6 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
So some things should be going on next month while I'm on leave...
Unibrace XB
Unibrace UB
TSW Nurburgring Bronze PC (from swfloridamk6, thanks Paul)
Hankook Ventus V12 (from swfloridamk6, thanks Paul)

Then if I can scrape together enough over the rest of my deployment I plan on getting...
SPAX RSX coils
APR Front and Rear Sways
brake upgrades (Lines, Pads, Fluid, and maybe the tyrolsport kit)

All in all that will complete my suspension and handling mods and I can move on to saving up for HPA Stage III and KO4. I may give water Meth a try though to tide me over while I save, so I can run my 100 oct tune and get some extra HP. Seems pretty cheap around $500 ish if I install it myself, nets me what like 20-25 HP running the 100 file? Plus WM will be good to have on board for use with KO4 in the future.

Also thinking about adding a Forge Twintercooler as opposed to upgrading to the APR IC since I already have an S3 IC. I think the Forge + S3 should equal APR efficiency? We'll see.

JP
Hey JP,

All sounds awesome!

I would do the Forge+S3.

Love to see watermeth and K04.... Beast.
swfloridamk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #118
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfloridamk6 View Post
Hey JP,

All sounds awesome!

I would do the Forge+S3.

Love to see watermeth and K04.... Beast.
Thanks,
The Forge seems to me to make more sense it like $700 vs the $1k for the APR since I already have the S3.

I'm warming to the idea of water meth. I have been having discussions with Justin at USRT about it trying to get educated. I'm still a bit nervous about using it. But I'd like to get the benefits of running the 100 oct tune with meth.

JP
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #119
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

yeah, I would try it myself, but I want a cleaner engine bay and clean hatch. maybe if the bottle could be hidden in fender somehow.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #120
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Unibrace UB and XB on finally

Well I finally got both the Unibrace UB and XB installed. The UB went on without a hitch. The XB however took substantially more time and effort.

Some notes on the XB install:

1. The clamp holding the rear setbacks in place is a PITA. You need to remove everything from the rear of the vehicle (floor, spare tire, and foam holding tools surrounding spare) once you do thistle cover will be exposed and you can more easily pull it off. I started off wrong and snapped a piece of this cover off before I realized how to get at it. after that hurdle was done the next big issue was drilling the holes. Remember the old adage measure twice cut once. Take your time positioning and marking the holes. It was difficult after I drilled the original 1/8" pilot hole I recommend using one of those cone shaped stepped bits as the large 1/2" bit almost broke my wrist when it bit in and twisted the drill in my hand. After the first hole I took more time slowly drilling this final 1/2" hole. Be advised that the nutsert is still slightly wider than 1/2" and you will probably need a dremel or file to widen it out enough to get the nutsert in. Be very careful installing the nutsert and inserting the screw. I got one cross threaded and it took a lot of time to get it out and well I never really got it out it fell into the car and is trapped in there. Hopefully it doesn't vibrate, or Ill have to spray foam that area. Last thing, the holes on the XB are tight to the screw diameter and I found that I needed to widen them a bit with a drill to allow for the slight variance in hole placement that I experienced.

Hopefully all of that makes sense and helps you guys out.

I have not driven the car yet but I am going to here in a little while I'll report back on my findings, as I am sure you are interested in that more than the pictures, lol.

JP
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #121
hippiesrock03
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6 GTI
Looks great man

PS: I went skydiving in Raeford haha. Lots of fun
| APR Stage II | Modshack VTDA Intake | Eurojet Turboback Exhaust | Koni Coilovers | FS/DC Volk RE30s wrapped in Hankook V12 EVO K120s | OEM LED Tails | OEM Chrome Euroswitch w/auto | 3M Crystalline 35% all around| Colored Matched Side Markers | Klii Motorwerkes Vinyl | Smoked Side Mirrors |
hippiesrock03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #122
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

The GTI is gone...

Well, it's been a while since I've updated the thread between deployment and PCS move (transfer) to Illinois I haven't had the time or money to do anything. Once we got to IL my wife God bless her said she thought I should get a different car which is more suitable for the winter. Not one to argue with the wifey I set off to find a new vehicle and of course I ended up at a VW dealer. I was about to pull the trigger on a candy white 2013 Golf TDI when I asked the salesman to run the numbers on the 2013 Golf R they had in he show room and it all went down hill from there. He came back and said the R would be about $30 less than the monthly on my GTI! Well that was all I ended to hear, I'm now the happy owner of a 2013 Tornado Red 4 door Golf R. I'm not really big on 4 door golfs but it was all they had and I just went with it, I think it will grow on me. Not sure if I'm going to keep this thread alive and cover my R mods here or move to another one.

On a somber note I really miss my GTI! The salesman asked me what I had done to it the other day when I went in to pick up my Unibrace's. I asked why? He said he test drove it and when he floored it he was not expecting what happened! I had a little laugh, it was faster than the Golf R is now, but that will change as money becomes available to mod and I'll start the journey over with my new car.

JP
Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #123
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

JP's Build

Well since I got a new car I've been slow posting so here is a pic.

I hope to have it a little lower next month. Neuspeed sport springs some Koni STR.T or Yellows, not sure which. Then I guess ill get some spacers to push the wheels out a little, and start saving for more mods. This will be a slower build as I just don't have the funds I once did. I'm doing power mods further on down the line though, going to do supporting stuff like suspension, shifter, brakes, etc. then power. I'll post up my mods plan soon.

JP
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #124
swfloridamk6
Formula 2 Driver

Nice pickup!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #125
jp0319
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfloridamk6 View Post
Nice pickup!!!
Thanks man, I've still been following your build, looks awesome you have gone all out.