GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #169
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn DSG 4dr Black
Thanks! It will look more awesome with a wash and some better lighting.

Been driving the new wheels around and it feels good.

I'm worried about that fender screw in compression on turns at the track. Mentioned to my racing buddy who told me it WILL scrape on some turns and best to get rid of it. I'll look into that this weekend.
> R20 LED Tails | S2T Paddles | AWE Boost | SuperbrightLEDs | PIAA Fogs
> My Build Thread
Aries Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #170
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Just got some jack pads to make my life easier:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Euro...0951/ES251835/

I'll take some pics and do a review when I get some time to play. No more putting jack stands under my WALK.

Thinking through some new items assuming I want to keep tracking the GTI a couple more years.

APR OPS V2
Stoptech 328mm ST40 BBK
APR DSG tune

I thought I was done with this car, but I'm getting to the track more and well, the cars depreciating quickly so I'm less scared to track it.

I think the DSG tune is gravy, I only had it shift on me a couple times I didn't want, so I can live with it as is.

As I am getting faster and getting into stickier tires I am worrying about oil starvation, so I think OPS might be a wise Investment.

Brakes are the weakest link now, especially with the K04 power. I can hit almost 120 on the straights at Thunderhill and was doing even more at Laguna and the braking is hard coming down from that. I can probably continue to make the stocks work by adding ducting, maybe just a rotor upgrade like SPM. It would be nice to make pads easier to swap though. Track pads are in my future.
> My Build Thread
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #171
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Life got complicated with surgery and not driving for a while, so no updates in a bit. Had to cancel all my track days and autocross for the year and lived with some problematic APR K04 3.0 software until I could FINALLY get the 3.1 fix for it.

OMG it's so much better! 3.1 fixes all the 2nd gear lameness and the car feels like a Rottweiler pulling on the leash again and not an old basset hound. Got the new plugs that APR recommends put in an well. The old ones had some miles on them, so just as well.

I also got the APR DSG tune at the same time. I have been trying out D mode for the first time in forever and... it's functional! It's much more in tune with the K04 now, not overshifting, and it will run and downshift very quickly if you get on it to squirt into traffic. Very happy with this! I haven't tried S mode much, but it seems to be a bit more aggressive version on D. It acts more like me in M mode, shifting between 3 and 4K, sometimes going higher when I get on it. I'll have to try it for real sometime.

M is definitely snappier now as well, and the 2->1 changes seem smoother. I didn't expect a lot here, and most of the changes seem to be when you're on it, it shifts very quickly. I won't be able to track the car for some time now, so I can't really give it a solid test yet.

Anyway, the car feels alive again, and I am pleased with the new APR 3.1 K04 tune and the DSG tune. I can let my wife drive in D now and not cringe at how horrible the stock DSG tune plays with the K04. Hell, I might even use D a little more around town since it shifts kind of how I shift in M mode around town anyway, now!

On the plate:

o I got 32K now, considering getting the DSG service done now, a little early, since I have tracked this car a bit.

o Shocks seem to be finally getting a little loose from the stiffening and bump roads around here, I think I might need to look into the Koni yellow upgrade I have been waiting on.
> My Build Thread
Old 12-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #172
12bluemk6
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 MKVI GTI - Stock
Awesome build man very inspiring. I could read builds for days. Wish I had 10k to blow and just go all out k04+suspension mods... Maybe next year
12bluemk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #173
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bluemk6 View Post
Awesome build man very inspiring. I could read builds for days. Wish I had 10k to blow and just go all out k04+suspension mods... Maybe next year
Thanks! Yeah I wonder as the car ages how I will feel about all the mods. This is gonna be my DD for a while, so.

I'm damn happy with it right now though!
> My Build Thread
Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #174
Druski

Drives: MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries Pope View Post
Thanks! Yeah I wonder as the car ages how I will feel about all the mods. This is gonna be my DD for a while, so.

I'm damn happy with it right now though!
Hey Aries Pope

You thread is inspiring me to mod my GTI lol.

I love your rims, I have noticed some people complaining about the paint chipping while driving etc, have you noticed any issues with this?

Cheers
Druski
Druski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #175
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druski View Post
Hey Aries Pope

You thread is inspiring me to mod my GTI lol.

I love your rims, I have noticed some people complaining about the paint chipping while driving etc, have you noticed any issues with this?

Cheers
Druski
Thanks!

The Enkei Raijins?

I haven't noticed a problem with chips, though I also don't drive in dirt ever and as I recall people with paint chipping drove it gravel? That said, I think there's one or two little small chips ones here and there near the bolts (point sticking farthest out), which might have been caused by wheel changes or a flying rock (I have a chip in my windshield from one). You do have to be careful when pulling wheels/torquing wheel bolts.

There's a little curb on them, but that's kind of par for the course after a couple years of city use. One bad rash was a valet (I was pissed), another my wife, and I managed to rub a curb myself twice trying to wedge into very night parking spots (parking around here sucks). It doesn't look THAT bad though, you gotta get up close to see it. Overall I am very happy with these wheels.

Enkei makes high-quality wheels for not that much cash (compared to say, BBS).
> My Build Thread
Old 08-22-2016, 10:42 PM   #176
Aries Pope
FIA GT Newbie

Last update was quite a while back. I've been busy with other things, including getting a 1999 Miata for track duty.

Meanwhile, a few new items on the GTI since the OEM shocks were finally starting to go at 40,000 miles, given all the stiffening and DG springs I guess. Plus my rotors were getting ugly. Decided against the BBK because I don't track this car any more, but couldn't resist the slotted rotors from Rock Auto for a deal.

o Bilstein Sport Dampers: B8
o 034 Density Strut Mounts
o 034 Sway Bar End Links F&R
o StopTech Slotted Rotors

Happy with all of it. The car feels much more planted with the Bilsteins and DG springs. Slightly less compliant than the OEM, but not too harsh. Definitely planted. I think this is a good choice for the DG springs and a DD that gets occasional autocross and track time.
> My Build Thread