GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 03-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 MKVI GTI
Connecting down pipe and catback

Hello

Maybe this is a dumb question but I'm asking it anyway. I have a 3" cts down pipe that shrinks to 2.75", I believe, where it connects to my standard catback. I want to buy a catback that is 3". How do I connect the two? The reducer on the down pipe is one big piece. Do I cut the end off? Then find some way to connect the two with a long piece of pipe?

Thanks
Unitronic Stage II Tune | Black Forest Industries Motor and Transmission Mounts | 034 Billet Aluminum Dogbone Insert | SPM Pendulum Mount | CTS Downpipe with High Flow Catalytic Converter | APR Carbonio Stage 1 Cold Air Intake
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
There are companies that make reducer pipes.

Google this: 3 inch to 2.75 exhaust reducer

Anything from summit racing or somewhere like that works!
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Hey sorry msybe I wasn't very clear. My current cts down pipe reduces to 2.75" which means I can't connect it to a cat back I want to buy that is 3". So how do I modify the 2.75" end of the down pipe to fit the 3" cat back? Do I cut off the 2.75" end? Just wondering how others have got around this issue.
Unitronic Stage II Tune | Black Forest Industries Motor and Transmission Mounts | 034 Billet Aluminum Dogbone Insert | SPM Pendulum Mount | CTS Downpipe with High Flow Catalytic Converter | APR Carbonio Stage 1 Cold Air Intake
Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe View Post
Hey sorry msybe I wasn't very clear. My current cts down pipe reduces to 2.75" which means I can't connect it to a cat back I want to buy that is 3". So how do I modify the 2.75" end of the down pipe to fit the 3" cat back? Do I cut off the 2.75" end? Just wondering how others have got around this issue.
I don't know how else to explain this to you...

Use this when installing both said pieces.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41687/overview/

This eliminates having to hack anything off. Connect the 2.75" pipe to that side and the 3" to the other.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Do I cut off the 2.75" end?
That is an option too....cut it off & then get a 3" section to mate them together for a full 3" turbo back system

OR use an adapter, like mentioned above
Old 03-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Giuseppe
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
I don't know how else to explain this to you...

Use this when installing both said pieces.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-41687/overview/

This eliminates having to hack anything off. Connect the 2.75" pipe to that side and the 3" to the other.
Ohhh ok. So you're saying leave the reduced pipe size in the exhaust run. I get it. I want to remove the reduction in size so it's 3" all the way. So I guess I'll cut the down pipe and then try to find a 3" pipe to connect the two.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
Roctre
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Ohhh ok. So you're saying leave the reduced pipe size in the exhaust run. I get it. I want to remove the reduction in size so it's 3" all the way. So I guess I'll cut the down pipe and then try to find a 3" pipe to connect the two.
Just go to an exhaust shop and get a custom 3in catback made.
Roctre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
oldtype2
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 TR GTI DSG
Connecting down pipe and catback

Does your downpipe look like this?

If so, the reduced end would be 60mm or 2 3/8" to use the stock sleeve clamp.

MagnaFlow and 42 Draft Designs both make 3" cat-backs that reduce to fit the stock 60mm sleeve clamp.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro
oldtype2 is offline   Reply With Quote