GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

Old 12-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
JayJayTheJetPlane
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 CSG DSG Autobahn GTI
NYC Inspection

Hey all, so anyone having trouble passing inspection due to tints? They really are not letting any tints slide anywhere Im going...got that and my downpipe now to worry about and fix -_-
JayJayTheJetPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #2
ben_m
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
What % are your tints? My wifes G35 had tints (prior to us purchasing) they are maybe 25-30%, never had an issue.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
JayJayTheJetPlane
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 CSG DSG Autobahn GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_m View Post
What % are your tints? My wifes G35 had tints (prior to us purchasing) they are maybe 25-30%, never had an issue.
Mine are 30%, didnt go too dark to avoid issues with cops and inspection but my friend has the same on her gti and no one will let her slide...someone here told me try tyrolsport, going to givr them a call and try going saturday
JayJayTheJetPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #4
ahard48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Wolfsburg Powered By Paypal
My buddy's barber sent him to a pep boys with $40 in the cup holder and got a shiny new sticker.
APR Stage 1 l APR Carbonio Intake 1+ 2 l OEM Roof Rack l DeAutoKey l Nokya 2500k Fogs l 35% Tint l CW Rear Inlay l HPA shifter/42dd bushings l P3 Vent Gauge l ST Coilovers l Eurojet DP l Beluga Exhaust
ahard48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
ben_m
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayTheJetPlane View Post
Mine are 30%, didnt go too dark to avoid issues with cops and inspection but my friend has the same on her gti and no one will let her slide...someone here told me try tyrolsport, going to givr them a call and try going saturday
I just take it to the dealership, I bought the car used and it already had the tints so at the time I'm guessing they were legal.
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Ive been going to the same guy for years. I'm supposed to tell people I got the tints after the inspection if they ask. If you don't know anyone, you have to find a friend of a friend, someone who can vouch for you. They wont risk getting caught by an undercover. Losing the inspection license is shitty.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
sta626
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R 4dr DBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_m View Post
I just take it to the dealership, I bought the car used and it already had the tints so at the time I'm guessing they were legal.

NYS law says your tints need to be 70% which is basically no tint. Depending on the different type of cars ... SUVs, station wagons, and trucks they let you tint the rear windows but now that nys law has changed where the inspection centers cant give you a sticker unless your tints meet the legal law % of 70% on the fronts and most cars on the rears you wont get an inspection sticker. Big fine for them so they dont do it unless you find someone that still does.

Ive been stopped twice in the past month by local nypd cops and they wonder how i have 35% tints all around my R and a new inspection sticker. Needless to say i get a lecture and a warning about them.
sta626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
I have 50% tints on all 5 windows and haven't had any issues thus far getting an inspection done this year or with cops pulling me over. That being said, 50% tint is very subtle and you can still see through the glass even at night. I drive on the Tri-Boro/RFK bridge everyday due to work and I've had NY troopers along side me multiple times....nothing, they could careless.
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #9
sta626
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R 4dr DBP
ive had tints on all my cars and to be honest no cop ever bothers you unless they want to. Tint checkpoints and if theyre looking to give out tickets. I live in queens and both times local blue and white nypd pulled me over and used the tints as an excuse and stressed it more than once each time. Got off with warnings after they ran my license and everything was clean. Ive been to 4 inspection stations this year and each one except the last one who finally gave me the inspection were complaining about the tints being too dark. They are 35% tints which is not dark at all but bottom line if they want to they will ticket. Its the law they follow of 70% tints. Basically cops discretion to use the tints or not to pull you over and ticket. Majority of inspection stations do not pass the car with tints in fear of getting fined.
sta626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
2012TP
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Slow
I commute daily passed NYPD, Nassau, and Suffolk cops with 35% tints. Windshield was also tinted up until a few months ago when it got hit by a rock. Never been pulled over or given a hard time.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
lukesGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 6spd Manual Black 2DR
Location: 11581 www.lukekaminski.com http://luxgti.blogspot.com/
Was turned away due to tints.
Came back again next day and told them they are permanent and got my sticker.
lukesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote