GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > New England

Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
piesGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 Candy White GTI - Cirilla
Jumping timing, FML

Two days ago, I went to start Cirilla and there was some weird noises coming from under the hood. The car wouldn't catch and there was a clunking noise that I did not like. The check engine light had come on the night before but she was running fine. I plugged in the OBD2 scanner and the dreaded P0016 code popped up.

I got her towed to Colonial VW in Westborough and they called me this morning. Jumped the intake cam, destroyed the motor.

They quoted me 6k to replace the motor with a used one. No thank you. I don't have time to do it myself, but I do have a trusted friend with a shop in NH who's willing to haul it up there for me.

Any advice on where to get a motor?
piesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
CHerna
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 DBP GTI 2 Door M/T
That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Luckily, the same engine is share across multiple cars.

Try car-part.com and good luck!
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
piesGTI
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 Candy White GTI - Cirilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHerna View Post
That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Luckily, the same engine is share across multiple cars.

Try car-part.com and good luck!
Thanks. That's my current go to for big stuff like this. I've picked up some transmissions for my old SRT through the site before, I've been pretty happy with it in the past.

Man. This sucks. I had high hopes that the no start + engine light was just a coil.
piesGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
FlavMK6
Ready to race!

Drives: MK6
That sucks man..... my car was making weird noises the other day sounded like a drummer was in my engine. This fucking car engines suck ass!!!!!! Like such a cool car with such a shitty engine. They need to step their shit up foreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlavMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Tony48
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Engine donor cars posted in the "Official Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Thread". Make sure the new engine has the updated tensioner.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by piesGTI View Post
Two days ago, I went to start Cirilla and there was some weird noises coming from under the hood. The car wouldn't catch and there was a clunking noise that I did not like. The check engine light had come on the night before but she was running fine. I plugged in the OBD2 scanner and the dreaded P0016 code popped up.

I got her towed to Colonial VW in Westborough and they called me this morning. Jumped the intake cam, destroyed the motor.

They quoted me 6k to replace the motor with a used one. No thank you. I don't have time to do it myself, but I do have a trusted friend with a shop in NH who's willing to haul it up there for me.

Any advice on where to get a motor?
Im really sorry that happened to you.
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote