GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #141
Carbon Steel
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Carbon Steel's Avatar
 
Drives: Carbon Steel Gray 2010 GTI (6/1/10)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.

This sounds feasible, Don't tune your car in hopes it will fix this issue. Take your car to the dealer and let them diagnose, if they say can't duplicate then tell them the explanation that is posted above. Tell them to test the amps, fuel pressure etc.

If they can't find an issue then tell them ok, this is number 1 for you to find the problem, and since it is happening i am opening a case with VW of A, you have a new car, warranty, they must get to the bottom of this and fix it. Don't Mod your car until this is fixed.
__________________
peace

2010 CSG GTI, 18" Detroits W/Summer Tires, Autobahn Package, DSG,RNS510 Touch Screen Nav, GTI Mat Kit,
2013 Red Turbo Beetle, Sun, Sound and Navigation, Red and Black Leather interior
Carbon Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #142
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Just got my gti back from the shop. They put ecu update 401 WVW3, 24702599. Not sure what those numbers mean.

Apparently this is the quick fix/tsb that claims to address this rough start condition. They claim to have tested fuel pressure on low and high sides and said it is ok.

On my way home from work, I started it, 2 hours after being shut off, and sure enough, not a normal startup. I mean, it was not the roughest start I've seen, but this doesn't seem normal, does it? I thought to video the start. Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTRsgL1f4fk
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #143
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Check out my latest video of a start-failure, captured on my smartphone.
What's interesting to me is that the temp gauge starts high, then falls noticeably after the stall, then holds steady and starts successfully. Does this sound like a malfunctioning ECT sensor to anybody? Or could it be the result of the water pump cycling the coolant a little bit?

http://youtu.be/mJNRagRh6_M
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #144
SuPeR GTi
Formula 5000 Driver
 
SuPeR GTi's Avatar
 
Drives: 12' GTI MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.zeros View Post
Check out my latest video of a start-failure, captured on my smartphone.
What's interesting to me is that the temp gauge starts high, then falls noticeably after the stall, then holds steady and starts successfully. Does this sound like a malfunctioning ECT sensor to anybody? Or could it be the result of the water pump cycling the coolant a little bit?

http://youtu.be/mJNRagRh6_M
dude. that sounds pretty dam bad. DEFINETLY NOT NORMAL. go back to the dealer and have it sit overnight. this isnt a tractor, it shouldnt start like that. show them the videos.
SuPeR GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #145
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
So my GTI is back at the shop. I hope they can figure out the problem. I'll post back when I get the word. Capturing the problem on camera seems like it will help them to see what I am experiencing.

To the others that experience this problem, I've got VWoA involved, so hopefully they will eventually issue a TSB to address this issue.
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #146
Franz86
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South/Central jersey
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftGTI View Post
Happening to manual GTIs as well.
Yea mine is a manual and I have experienced a similar problems 7-8 times now in just the first few weeks of ownership. Occasionaly when I start the car up it will struggle to keep itself running and stall after a second or two if I don't notice it and give it some gas.
Franz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #147
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz86 View Post
Yea mine is a manual and I have experienced a similar problems 7-8 times now in just the first few weeks of ownership. Occasionaly when I start the car up it will struggle to keep itself running and stall after a second or two if I don't notice it and give it some gas.
If you've got the problem, too, I suggest you get in touch with VW of America. The more complaints they receive, the more likely they will be to do the diagnosis to determine the root cause.

I just got a call from the service rep, who told me that VW's best guess at this point is poor quality gasoline. If 93 octane Shell is not good enough, I don't know what is.
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #148
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Okay just had a great conversation with the service department at my dealer regarding the issue. According to VWoA, they believe they have ruled out mechanical and electronic failures and are blaming gasoline quality. Since the premium fuel is used by fewer vehicles than regular grade, it will sit in the filling station's tanks and age. Again, according to the dealer and VW, the bad fuel has a tendency to separate between heavier and lighter components. The heavier components settling at the bottom of the tank. VW's calibrations must not like this, for whatever reason, and hence there can be a problem.

I'm still skeptical, but I do consistently fill up at a small set of 2 or 3 Shell stations near my house. I am going to try switching stations and fuel brand up. I think I'll go with Chevron, the only other top tier station in the area. I'm not sure if Exxon is top tier? I'm going to be optimistic and give the fuel quality hypothesis a shot. I'll report back here my findings.
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #149
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Filled up my tank with chevron 93. Lo and behold, not a single startup problem after one day with the car. I'm not convinced yet, but this seems like an improvement. I wish I had tried this before, but I am starting to believe that there is some formulation difference in the Shell gas that is incompatible with our cars under hot-start conditions. I wish I knew why.

To others with this problem : try chevron or something other than Shell!!!!

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21433
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19541
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #150
Staudie
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nor*Cal
Posts: 16
The only time I had the hot stall issue was after a filled up at some no name station otherwise its Chevron.
Staudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #151
dtorres86
Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Covina CA
Posts: 1
GTI stalling

I have 2011 GTI Autobahn with DSG and pushstart. My car currently has 50,000 miles. My car stalls all the time. At first just like most of you I thought maybe I'm letting go of pushstart to soon but then it would happen all the time. At around 40k when the car was due for maintenance I took it in to the dealership I told them what the car was doing. Later that day I got a call from my local VW service advisor he told me I have a faulty battery that needs to be changed. I got my battery changed and seemed to solve the problem. About a month later the car started to stall again. I take the car a few months later back to the dealership when I'm do for maintenance again but this time I notice the stalling would also occur when I turned the AC after starting the car on. The start is very weak then as I turn the AC and reverse out of driveway the car shuts off and I then need to restart it up to two times and give it a bit of gas so it won't shutoff. When I arrive to the dealership I tell my local vw service advisor how car is still shutt off. He then later informs me that my AC compressor clutch needs to be replaced because it is locking up causing the car to shutoff. I call VWoA to complain about the problem and they were able to cover parts and labor for my new AC compressor. A week later my car is still stalling!! I take the car right back to the dealership. They keep the car for about a week to run diagnoses and they were not able to find the problem. I dot know what to do anymore. I was shocked to see how many members here all have the same exact problem. I read here in the forums that VW is aware of the problem and is yet to find the problem. The last thing the service manager from the dealership said is it could be carbon build up from bad gas. They would need to pull off the intake manifold to see if thats a possible cause. The only problem here is I'm not willing to pay for a service that may not even make a difference. He then told me to do buy a fuel additive and see if that makes any difference. I hope this was helpful for you guys. VW has some major research to do with this problem.
dtorres86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #152
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorres86 View Post
I have 2011 GTI Autobahn with DSG and pushstart. My car currently has 50,000 miles. My car stalls all the time. At first just like most of you I thought maybe I'm letting go of pushstart to soon but then it would happen all the time. At around 40k when the car was due for maintenance I took it in to the dealership I told them what the car was doing. Later that day I got a call from my local VW service advisor he told me I have a faulty battery that needs to be changed. I got my battery changed and seemed to solve the problem. About a month later the car started to stall again. I take the car a few months later back to the dealership when I'm do for maintenance again but this time I notice the stalling would also occur when I turned the AC after starting the car on. The start is very weak then as I turn the AC and reverse out of driveway the car shuts off and I then need to restart it up to two times and give it a bit of gas so it won't shutoff. When I arrive to the dealership I tell my local vw service advisor how car is still shutt off. He then later informs me that my AC compressor clutch needs to be replaced because it is locking up causing the car to shutoff. I call VWoA to complain about the problem and they were able to cover parts and labor for my new AC compressor. A week later my car is still stalling!! I take the car right back to the dealership. They keep the car for about a week to run diagnoses and they were not able to find the problem. I dot know what to do anymore. I was shocked to see how many members here all have the same exact problem. I read here in the forums that VW is aware of the problem and is yet to find the problem. The last thing the service manager from the dealership said is it could be carbon build up from bad gas. They would need to pull off the intake manifold to see if thats a possible cause. The only problem here is I'm not willing to pay for a service that may not even make a difference. He then told me to do buy a fuel additive and see if that makes any difference. I hope this was helpful for you guys. VW has some major research to do with this problem.
You're not alone. I have a case with vwoa. Do not stop keeping in contact with vwoa. Make them aware of the fact that the dealer wil not cover repair. For me, they suspected bad gas and flushed my gas tank. Gues what, the stalling came back. My gti like yours is a 2011 gti autobahn kessy. Guess what? It is a the dealer now for the 5th time to have this problem addressed. Keep the pressure on them to find the problem and fix it, for everyone's benefit. I am convinced they can fix it and if enough people stay in contact with vwoa there can be a tsb/recall. I will pm you my case number you can reference in communication with vwoa. You are xalling customer care, right? 18008228987.
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #153
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 141
I've also got a thread on the other forum, but for those of you not following that one:

So the hard-start issue happened to me twice today. Fortunately, I was prepared with my video camera!

Notice the temp gauge. In both cases it seems to be in about the same position.

Video number 1: on the way to the gym.
http://youtu.be/bN5oYktDdo0

Video number 2: on the way back from the gym. I mercifully gave the engine gas to keep it from stalling.
http://youtu.be/K9tdW2qXJsw

I'll have to check my records, but these were approximately the 9th or 10th start-ups I've done since I got the car back from the dealer _to address this issue_ (they couldn't replicate it). On the other hand, this issue ONLY seems to happen when the temperature gauge is around the 9 to 11 o'clock position. This is probably only the 4th or 5th time I've attempted to start the engine at that temperature.

Post up if you have this problem, and if you do, call VWOA and complain. They seem to believe this is a non-issue.
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #154
2PointSLO
Formula 5000 Driver
 
2PointSLO's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Mk3 (L132), 2011 Mk6 (LA9W)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,542
Adding my .02, I too have a 2011 GTI 6spd push start w/ KESSY. Bought it the end of last month, I too have had my fair share of the GTI stalling after startup(usually in the AM when I go to the gym). My friend who works as a tech @ the dealership and runs a performance shop has also heard the same issues that have been plaguing the 2011's. Also wondering too if it is a fuel related issue, I noticed it stalling a couple times after having it a week. First time I put gas I used 91 octane(100% ethanol-free) and not 93, still having stalling issues. I'm scheduled for the 30k check up and will talk to the dealer about the issues then go from there, I'll try 93 and see if the stalling continues...
__________________
(O8o)=====ABT==(o8O)
2PointSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.