GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #155
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PointSLO View Post
Adding my .02, I too have a 2011 GTI 6spd push start w/ KESSY. Bought it the end of last month, I too have had my fair share of the GTI stalling after startup(usually in the AM when I go to the gym). My friend who works as a tech @ the dealership and runs a performance shop has also heard the same issues that have been plaguing the 2011's. Also wondering too if it is a fuel related issue, I noticed it stalling a couple times after having it a week. First time I put gas I used 91 octane(100% ethanol-free) and not 93, still having stalling issues. I'm scheduled for the 30k check up and will talk to the dealer about the issues then go from there, I'll try 93 and see if the stalling continues...
Definitely call VWOA. 1800-822-8987. Open a case with them. The only way we're going to get traction and get a solution is if a bunch of people open cases with VWOA.

Describe the issue. I can tell you definitively that it is not octane related. When you talk to VWOA, tell them you've tried different fuels and octanes, and your honest experiences.

VWOA's best idea is that it's fuel-quality related, but even if there were something wrong with the fuel, is it not at the very least bizarre that our 2011 GTI's are choking across the country, while 99% of the other cars do just fine? BTW the loaner Passat's, with which I've become quite familiar, start up very well. Gotta give the 2.5 credit for something....
mr.zeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #156
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
godamn.. cant help but notice how there are a LOT of threads on here related to very low mileage problems on 2011 models. is 2011 going to set VW reliability stats back, again? these kind of problems with a new car are disgusting.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #157
maxman142001
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTi
Not trying to beat dead horse but has VW addressed this issue yet?
I too am having this same "hard start" problem and would like some idea on what needs to be done to fix..hard with no DTC's...
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #158
Bcastine
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2015 S DSG APR Stg 1.5
Seems almost obvious what is happening. It seems like every instance involves starting the car shortly after previously driving. Fuel is heat soaking in between the hpfp and injectors. Heat the once cool pressurized fuel and you expand it volumetrically. Attempt to start the car and you get a temporary rich condition, essentially flooding the engine until an attempt two when cool fuel is once again drawn in and all is well. It seems most instances are happening to people in hot climates amplifying the problem. IDK, just an idea.
I have never experienced this issue with my 2011 in 40k miles of ownership, but I live up north, and very rarely if ever let the car sit 20-30min between starts.
Bcastine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #159
maxman142001
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcastine View Post
Seems almost obvious what is happening. It seems like every instance involves starting the car shortly after previously driving. Fuel is heat soaking in between the hpfp and injectors. Heat the once cool pressurized fuel and you expand it volumetrically. Attempt to start the car and you get a temporary rich condition, essentially flooding the engine until an attempt two when cool fuel is once again drawn in and all is well. It seems most instances are happening to people in hot climates amplifying the problem. IDK, just an idea.
I have never experienced this issue with my 2011 in 40k miles of ownership, but I live up north, and very rarely if ever let the car sit 20-30min between starts.
Seems like a legit thought...also explains the reason for the dealer not being much help. I'm in Arizona so temps are much higher than most. This may just be a summer is as I don't remember having too many start issues during the winter here. Ill continue to look around and see if any of the other forums have found a solution.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #160
Coolrunning39
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 vw gti dsg and 98 tdi 222,600
No CEL don't worry yet, CEL pops up you have a warranty claim. I bought my 2011 GTI waiting for problems to happen so I can get them fixed. Either way love my car.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #161
maxman142001
Go Kart Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrunning39 View Post
No CEL don't worry yet, CEL pops up you have a warranty claim. I bought my 2011 GTI waiting for problems to happen so I can get them fixed. Either way love my car.
Ditto...once the car is running, im a happy camper. Was hoping my 40k service would help with the startup issue with updated fuel filter, fresh plugs and R8 coils.

I wonder is with this temporary rich issue will foul plugs faster in the summer time????
Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #162
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman142001 View Post
Seems like a legit thought...also explains the reason for the dealer not being much help. I'm in Arizona so temps are much higher than most. This may just be a summer is as I don't remember having too many start issues during the winter here. Ill continue to look around and see if any of the other forums have found a solution.

This is not just a summer issue. I live in tx, which is also a warmer climate, and had this hard start issue happen in 45 degree weather., and through the milder days of winter.

However it definitely is more prone to occurring when it is warm. The range of engine temperatures where I see this problem is wider in the summer.

Try this. I started my gti one morning and let it warm to the 9 o'clock position, then shut it off, without ever putting the car in gear or driving. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes. On the next few startups immediately after that, without driving, I was able to reproduce the. Issue. That is, I could start it and observe the rough idle, then shut it off. Then start it again,rough idle , etc. I have a video of this I should post.

Vw blamed two things on this issue. One, fuel quality. "Stop going to shell and chevron" "use exxon". ridiculous. The second was they blamed me. The vw case representative was a huge *&%$# who basically didn't believe this was an issue, refused to watch the like 7 youtube videos I posted relating to this, and basically told me to stop whining. All of this under the full vw warranty. I am now at 31000 miles, and still experincing the issue. I really love the car, but this is a very stupid issue to have.

One guy on vortex told me that vw replaced his throttle body and resolved the issue, but I am not sure if that is all they did, and I kindof don't want to replace a $400 part if its not really the root cause. I don't have a vcds either.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #163
mr.zeros
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxman142001 View Post
Ditto...once the car is running, im a happy camper. Was hoping my 40k service would help with the startup issue with updated fuel filter, fresh plugs and R8 coils.

I wonder is with this temporary rich issue will foul plugs faster in the summer time????
I changed pplugs and it made 0 difference. The issue popped up immediately. I also changed the coolant temp sensor to no avail for my car, at least, its not those.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #164
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
I had a new throttle body put on recently when I received a CEL code pertaining to the issue. It has done nothing to remedy the problem for me. Maybe less occurrences, but it still happens. I've even drained the tank, and filled with Exxon gas, and no change. Did it then too. They're full of shit. I suspect fuel injectors still.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #165
littledevil
Autocross Champion

Drives: Mk6 Candy White
Hi Guys, I read through everything and my stalling issue only happened once before my APR stage 3+ upgrade. (2011 DSG w/ turn key ignition) (29,000 miles on the clock right now)

But my stall only happens on startups, after the engine starts everything seems fine. But lot of times I will get a weak start, it feels like the car is about to stall but not quite there.(its super annoying)

The first time it happened was in the fall at night on a cold start, It basically was just choking when I tried to start the car, then the car stalled. But second time worked fine.

Now I just had the Turbo upgrade, it happens way more often than before. But if I blip the throttle to give a little gas it will start right up every time when its choking.

I think the problem could be the engine is not getting enough fuel, so it maybe the fuel pump, the fuel injectors, or anything related to that area IMO. Gonna get it to the shop in couple weeks and see what happens, will keep this updated.

Really hope we can all solve this issue.

Max
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #166
BigLar11
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 Volkswagen GTI
My 2012 has been doing that too. I run injector cleaner fluid through it every month and it helps it out a bit but every now and then when it starts cooling down from running temperature and when I start it it stalls or is about to stall. I brought it to the dealer but they looked at it and they found nothing. It sucks because it's basically a brand new car. I picked it up with 1,800 miles and it now has 10k on it
BigLar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #167
cobie56
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '14 Carbon.Stl.Gry 6SpMan. GTI D.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalacka View Post
I was going to suggest octane, as well.

Last week, when I drove up to your fine country I noticed that the stations in New Hampshire had 87/89/91, no 93. Maine/Vermont/New York all had the real deal. Don't know what's up with the Granite state.

Didn't catch what octanes were available in Quebec, because, as a real 'murken, I have no clue what a liter or litre is.
doesn't matter what a liter is (1 u.s. gal = 3.78 ltrs) quebec, and all of canada for that matter still use the same octane ratings we do in the usa.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #168
racermp
Autocross Champion

Drives: 13' GTI Wolfsburg DSG CSG
sputter = probably fuel pump goin
racermp is offline   Reply With Quote