GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
shahabdin
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 BGP R-Line 1.4 TSI 160hp
I had it on my Ford after changing the oil at a gas station!!!! Turned out to be just the sensor in the engine (that checks the mixture levels I think) - anyways they fixed the sensor and all was back to normal. Just take it to VW if not done so already buddy

Yup AAU said it O2 sensor

shahabdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Bonediddly

Drives: 2011 cw gti
I posted on vwvortex about this... My 2011 was doing the exact same thing. Took it to 2 dealers and left it with them for a while. Both said they couldn't recreate it and nothin came up on a scan of the car...

After working a couple more tanks of gas through the car, I havnt noticed this problem much anymore. Certainly hasnt done it in the past few weeks. I am hoping it's just crappy dealer gas being worked out of my engine. Not thinking it's an o2 sensor cause wouldn't a faulty/dirty/underperforming sensor show up in a scan?

It does kinda scare me that more and more 2011s are exhibiting this problem... I hope it's not some far more complicated problem than crappy gas
Bonediddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
sdvictor
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4DR, 2008 Outback XT
Sometimes, it's just bad gas.
sdvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
hondadude
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK VI Gti
Bad gas sometimes causes stalling with me as well............

Not talking about the GTI by the way.......LOL
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
rizzogti
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2010 CW GTI 6sp
my dealer filled me up with 91 octane and it did it even after i filled it up with 93 on my second tank of gas... ever since ive consistantly been using 93 it hasnt been doing it.. also i have been cranking it longer. havent had it happen to me now in about 2-3 weeks. i have an 2011 with 900 miles on it. 6spd.
rizzogti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
AutobahnGTI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolgreen View Post
Never crank an engine after it has caught or you will have flywheel teeth flying off into oblivion...........
Within reason.

Now I understand why some put disclaimers on their sigs. LOL
AutobahnGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Exposure
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 2dr CSG GTI (dsg)
Ive had this happen to me about 8 or 9 times to. I drive a 2011 DSG and i have only had it for a little over a month. Maybe its something that has to do with breaking in because ever since I've been over 500 miles it has not happened to me at all.
Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
Cackalacka
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI manual
I was going to suggest octane, as well.

Last week, when I drove up to your fine country I noticed that the stations in New Hampshire had 87/89/91, no 93. Maine/Vermont/New York all had the real deal. Don't know what's up with the Granite state.

Didn't catch what octanes were available in Quebec, because, as a real 'murken, I have no clue what a liter or litre is.
Cackalacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
AAU
Touring Car Newbie

91 is all you need! When I referred to octane, I was implying someone putting 87 in. The problem is you don't know for sure what was in the car when first driving it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
Rockstar
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 TR GTI
Hey all, I posted about this over on vwv too. It hasn't happened again since I refueled. But, it also didn't do it for a week before either, so we will see. I'm at 450 miles now.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Basil_Fawlty

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofrandy View Post
That's weird. I have a 2010 w/ DSG and I just let the computer control the starter. Basically, when I start the car, I briefly push the key in igniton to "Start", then release right away. This is all in a fraction of a second. There's a split second lag, then the ignition would start the starter, engine would turn over automatically, starting the car. I think the amount of time the starter needs to run to completely start the car is automatically controlled by the ECU. Meaning you don't have to hold the key in "Start" position until the car starts.

The only other way I can describe this is the push button start for Lexus when I was test driving it. Push Start and release, Starter will start a split of second after release.

This is unlike my previous car where I have to hold the key in the Start position until the engine turns over and start. Where as if I do what I'm doing w/ the GTI now, as soon as I release it from "Start", the engine would die right away because the starter is controlled by the ignition switch.
What you describe is what I could do with my '98 E300 Turbodiesel MBZ. You could turn the key, wait for the glow plug signal, then tap the starter quick and let go, and the car would continue to crank till started.

Also, if you wanted to bleed any air of our the fuel system line, When you turn the key to start, keep the key turned after it starts for up to 45 seconds.

It was a very slick feature that car had.
2010 GTI MKVI :: 3DR :: DSG :: CSG :: Bi-Xenon :: Dynaudio :: VW-NAV :: Sunroof :: Autobahn-Pkg :: 18" - Detroits :: LoJack :: Tinted-Windows :: APR Stage I Flash :: APR Stage I & II Carbonio Intake :: GTI Logo Floor Mats :: Rear Trunk Tray
Basil_Fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
snofrandy
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
^^ahh Diesel

I had a 2010 Jetta rental when I drove up to Vancouver from Seattle over the weekend. Almost everytime I start the car, I would blip the ignition but engine won't start lol. Then I would remember i'm in a Jetta not a GTI. So i'd start it like a regular car.

Similar key design, similar layout, which I guess my brain process that I'm in my GTI lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #27
Basil_Fawlty

Drives: MkVI GTI 2dr DSG CSG Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieze View Post
SO I have had my new car for less then a month and I have had a problem intermittently about 8 times so far.

Basically when I am starting the car it will sometimes start idling very low 500rpm then stall.

I have also had the above happen and I have hit the gas to bring the rpms up but shortly after driving I have tried to accelerate and the car is in neutral as the revs just go up freely. Changing it from Park to drive resolved this.

Do I have a problem with my DSG? I first experienced the stalling a couple of days after picking up the car.
I've had this very same thing happen too, before the reflash issue. I took it to the VW haus for it's first checkup, and they couldn't figure it out, but they did rule our the Mechatronic. I think they wanted to blame the Stage 1 Flash. But now, with a brand new programmed ECU and a APR Stage 1 Flash on that (and more radical performance), when after a cold start, within the first 1 - 2 min of driving, this can happen when I come to a stop, but it's not as bad. Once warmed up, it doesn't happen at all.
2010 GTI MKVI :: 3DR :: DSG :: CSG :: Bi-Xenon :: Dynaudio :: VW-NAV :: Sunroof :: Autobahn-Pkg :: 18" - Detroits :: LoJack :: Tinted-Windows :: APR Stage I Flash :: APR Stage I & II Carbonio Intake :: GTI Logo Floor Mats :: Rear Trunk Tray
Basil_Fawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
btvlss

2011 GTI Stalling Issue

I had my 2011 4-door DSG for a whole day before the stalling issue started. I had it at the dealer 4 times and VW of America has officially deemed it a lemon. I only had the car 50% of the time since purchase and it only has 1245 miles on it.
I'm currently in the process of getting my money refunded. Given the frequency of the stalling issue, the fact that VW can't fix it and and they act like I am the only person this has ever happened to, I'll be purchasing a non VW.....
btvlss is offline   Reply With Quote