GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 07-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #71
DCVW

Drives: 2011 GTI DSG
Has anyone had their 2011 GTI not start up at all after stalling, or does it generally start up on the second try? Just curious since mine recently started this stalling issue and I am worried about it leaving me stranded.
Thanks
DCVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #72
Kyle Butler
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: The wife's 4cyl Accord
I had the same problem this morning. I was out of town with the car (1000km weekend, my total km is 1087 lol) and didnt notice any problems. I fueled up with 91 octane in Ottawa (petro can) and drove home, no start problems at all.

This morning i started, and as said above, the start sounded "weak" the rpms were low, the oil temp as well, as it usually goes right up to 90. Putting it in reverse did nothing. Went park, then reverse again and no probs. After filling at Shell, same deal so when i had to do some driving for work i made sure that i held the key during the initial start (not just forward until i hear the starter kick in) and it worked fine. I probably held the key up there for a second or two.

Either way, its concerning, but i can get around it. If it keeps up after i get the shit petro canada gas out of my engine i'll call my dealer.
Kyle Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM   #73
ikerumba
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI AUTOBAHN Charcoal Grey DSG
I think everyone who has this problem should at least report it to their local dealer if not done so already. Just shoot them an email and see if they are aware of this problem and see what their reply is.
ikerumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #74
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerumba View Post
I think everyone who has this problem should at least report it to their local dealer if not done so already. Just shoot them an email and see if they are aware of this problem and see what their reply is.
I have but when you can't duplicate the problem when you need it to, they can't fix it.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #75
GTIJosh
Autocross Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI 6MT
I have also experienced this problem twice, however both times it has been parked on a hill in extreme heat.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #76
Kyle Butler
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: The wife's 4cyl Accord
Had this problem twice this morning, and the worse one yet where it actually sputtered and stalled. How depressing. Was a cool evening/morning.
Kyle Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #77
Cygnusx1

Drives: 2011 GTI
So, I have a 2011 GTI with just under 4000 miles. Car has regular, not pushbutton, ignition. About 3 weeks ago, took the kids to a restaurant, park, eat, come back out around over an hour later and the car starts, but revs only around 700 rpm and proceeds to stall out over the next couple of seconds. Car started fine on the next start. No further issues on start until yesterday. Run out for an errand. Park the car for less than 10 minutes. Come back to car, fire it up and same thing. Sounds like a very weak start, revs only to 700 or 800 rpm and proceeds to stall out over next few seconds. After that car started fine.
The only other fact that I am aware of that may be pertinent is the day after I bought the car in April, itnfailed to turnover at all, I had to have it towed to dealer and they replaced a faulty starter relay (the car had about 30 miles on it when that happened).
Anyone figure out what is going on with these stalls on ignition?
Cygnusx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #78
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
I guess I should chime in here...
I've got an '11 DSG w/key ignition.
About two weeks ago I started the car on a very hot (100 degree) day.
The car sounded a bit rough and weak - I blipped the throttle while the car was still in park - I hadn't put it in gear yet - the engine correcter itself, and I was on my way.
The car had the same tank of 93 Shell that it usually has in it.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #79
Pinoymk6
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2011 gti
i think i might know whats going on with these cars. i think it has to do with the high pressure pump for the direct injection system. we have the same problem with the new direct injection cayennes and 911 and actually have a recall out for installing new high pressure pumps. i bet it's the same problem cause the symptoms are the same. loss of power!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #80
VW-TX
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI AutoBahn, DSG, Candy White
So far no more starting issues since I switched to Chevron from Shell. Hmm.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #81
mgk77
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4 Door DSG / Moonroof / S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnusx1 View Post
So, I have a 2011 GTI with just under 4000 miles. Car has regular, not pushbutton, ignition. About 3 weeks ago, took the kids to a restaurant, park, eat, come back out around over an hour later and the car starts, but revs only around 700 rpm and proceeds to stall out over the next couple of seconds. Car started fine on the next start. No further issues on start until yesterday. Run out for an errand. Park the car for less than 10 minutes. Come back to car, fire it up and same thing. Sounds like a very weak start, revs only to 700 or 800 rpm and proceeds to stall out over next few seconds. After that car started fine.
My experience has been almost the exact same.

2011 GTI, DSG, Regular Keyed ignition, purchased in May and now has 3200 miles on the odometer. Had it happen today - left parking garage at the office, started fine. Drove about 5 minutes to a restaurant, ate, 20 minutes later came out, died on start 2x. 3rd time, gave it a hint of throttle, and it was fine. Always use 93 octane gas from a "top tier" gas station.

Originally, had this happen within the couple days of ownership, thought at the time it was bad gas as it went away. Curiously, every time this has happened, it's been on a very hot / humid day. Maybe a half-dozen times or so since I've gotten the car that it's happened. Never had this problem on my '08 Rabbit.
mgk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #82
plac

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutobahnGTI View Post
Keyless start? Hold the button down longer. That is what I was experiencing and it resolved that problem.
if you have to do that, something is wrong with your car. I press my button for less than a second and let go. it spins till it starts, usually instantly. you are not supposed to hold the button.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #83
ADoc1980
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 4-Door GTI - DSG w/SR - Black
So tonight I went to start it after having it do the stall thing several times over the first week I've owned it, and tonight it decided to flash the alternator error light and die. Now I can't even turn the key to try and start it again and the wheel is basically stuck. Having it towed to the dealer tomorrow.

Had it exactly one week and driven less than 400 miles. I'm quite annoyed right now.
ADoc1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #84
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
i can imagine. best of luck, buddy. Let us know what they find, as a lot of us might end up in the same boat.