GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #43
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
I'm living vicariously through your seemingly bottomless wallet hahaha

Huzzah and kudos to those who push it...and push it real good.
Oh I hit the bottom, and went below the bottom, put holes in my wallet trying to reach for pennies on the ground. Thank you, I will push this to the limit after having it built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
What Hyde doing is great, exploring into the unknown, and I am sure we are all exciting to see it especially its not our money that hes putting into it. I am just thinking of it from the owner's perspective.
Thank you, keep in mind though this is representative of a FULL out build with fueling and trans work for +500HP. This kit (either turbo) can easily be bolted on a stock engine with stock fueling and run a 22-23psi file for sub-400HP power, still ~70HP more than a K04.

Quote:
Stop trying to save a car guy from himself haha. Logically you could be right but who builds a car up to any degree with only logic driving him? Hyde clearly has a passion to over-engineer and he's going to be just fine not heeding any warning.
No saving me, I'm am, and will remain, absolutely lost in this project. I'm glad you see my passion for my first VW and at that, my first turbo.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #44
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderzzz View Post
Everything you've done is so far over my head and I absolutely love it. If you don't mind me asking, how much would you guess this entire setup has run you?
Thank you, when all said and done we will be at 5 figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
Really I need to ride with some of you BT guys. Lol
Let's get that gofundme account to get my car out to your Canyon run in SoCal! I'll let you even drive it!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #45
Lupin
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI
Have you tought about a AWD swap? I mean... you might as well.

Anyways, questions answered, now back to the side line and cheer this project on. And please post videos of your kids reaction. (safely of coures) We have restrictions for kids' age and height at themed parks but never a restriction on how fast a car is able to achieve with kids inside. The kids might passed out with that sort of acceleration.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #46
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Have you tought about a AWD swap? I mean... you might as well.

Anyways, questions answered, now back to the side line and cheer this project on. And please post videos of your kids reaction. (safely of coures) We have restrictions for kids' age and height at themed parks but never a restriction on how fast a car is able to achieve with kids inside. The kids might passed out with that sort of acceleration.
No AWD plans at this time. As for the kids, I joke but I may get a quick run in, it would be legal speeds, closed road, no traffic, clear view, etc. Just a tast of power when it's done.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #47
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
Quote:
wow... Good for you, but why spend so much money and time on a wrong wheel drive car?
think of it this way. there are a bunch of people that go big turbo. you don't hear anyone going back to k04 or stage 2. and there is a reason for that.

like hyde said, it's easier to drive. better gas mileage. much more predictable. and you do have the same if not better traction than k04. i skipped k04, but i have better traction than i did at stage 2. and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to. and i track it as well, and she does just fine in the corners .

and your examples are pretty null. you need a tune just to put an intake on an sti or evo. no car is bulletproof. and you don't HAVE to upgrade a lot to go fast. but most people add supporting mods because it's fun and not as big a tradeoff as it seems on paper. it just gets blown up in some forum reviews because people are sensitive. and if that's the case, you won't enjoy any performance car anyway since they come stiffer from the factory.

you only hear comments like yours from people that have never been in a big turbo car. ride in a sorted example or better yet, drive one. then report back.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #48
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to.
Exaclty why I'm going to test the Greddy Profec, low boost and high boost settings, switch on the fly from the cabin.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #49
Lupin
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
think of it this way. there are a bunch of people that go big turbo. you don't hear anyone going back to k04 or stage 2. and there is a reason for that.

like hyde said, it's easier to drive. better gas mileage. much more predictable. and you do have the same if not better traction than k04. i skipped k04, but i have better traction than i did at stage 2. and with a boost controller i can putter around town in low boost and have all the traction i want (yes including 2nd), and turn it up for these highway races you referred to. and i track it as well, and she does just fine in the corners .

and your examples are pretty null. you need a tune just to put an intake on an sti or evo. no car is bulletproof. and you don't HAVE to upgrade a lot to go fast. but most people add supporting mods because it's fun and not as big a tradeoff as it seems on paper. it just gets blown up in some forum reviews because people are sensitive. and if that's the case, you won't enjoy any performance car anyway since they come stiffer from the factory.

you only hear comments like yours from people that have never been in a big turbo car. ride in a sorted example or better yet, drive one. then report back.
With my suggestions/example of cars, I do not mean to make the same power or tune it conservatively. I am trying to say that those cars have a higher potential so I can understand why people go big turbo for those cars. I've never sat or driven a big turbo FWD, but I have experience in big turbo AWD and RWD cars. I also driven a supercharged FRS on racing tyres and it was a blast on the track. I've sat in a fully built K24 RSX with LSD and while I was amazed at how well it performed, it behaves differently than a RWD in a bad way. (it was not slow by all means). I seek for stability and traction above all and I have yet to find that in any FWD car under hard acceleration.(without turning it into non daily drivable car vibrating car)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM   #50
flipflp
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '16 Golf R DSG
Mkkay so I'm confused Lupin. Did you mean to buy something else and signed on the dotted line for a GTI accidentally?

Last edited by flipflp; 02-10-2016 at 03:41 PM.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #51
Lupin
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Mkkay so I'm confused Lupin. Did you mean to buy something else and signed on the dotted line for a GTI accidentally?
I mean, it makes more sense to blow large sums of money into a more potentialed car such as the ones I've suggested than "investing" it in a FWD.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #52
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
I mean, it makes more sense to blow large sums of money into a more potentialed car such as the ones I've suggested than "investing" it in a FWD.
This would be true if I had the money for a higher priced car with more potential car 5 years ago when I was starting a family with a new condo. At the time I started a new job and wanted a 4-door upscale car to zip to work up the highway and back. I could spend 30K or less at that time and I didn't care for the Evo/STI cheaper interior, anything else was more expensive.

Over the years my reviews and magazine articles have added up, my kids call out "Volkswagen" any time they see one as an homage to our family sports car. This car is another kid, more expensive, but another kid that I can't let go of so I chose to "invest" in it's fullest potential.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #53
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
Quote:
With my suggestions/example of cars, I do not mean to make the same power or tune it conservatively. I am trying to say that those cars have a higher potential so I can understand why people go big turbo for those cars. I've never sat or driven a big turbo FWD, but I have experience in big turbo AWD and RWD cars. I also driven a supercharged FRS on racing tyres and it was a blast on the track. I've sat in a fully built K24 RSX with LSD and while I was amazed at how well it performed, it behaves differently than a RWD in a bad way. (it was not slow by all means). I seek for stability and traction above all and I have yet to find that in any FWD car under hard acceleration.(without turning it into non daily drivable car vibrating car)
i understand your experiences, but a well setup car will perform whether it's 150hp or 500hp. power rarely makes you much faster at the track to begin with. so depending on your goals it will be irrelevant. but any car needs upgrades to manage more power, not just fwd cars or volkswagens specifically. there are plenty of civics and minis out there hurting feelings and it's pretty easy to make a lightweight momentum car out of them. it just depends on your goals. and of course the driver.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #54
flipflp
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '16 Golf R DSG
Quote:
I don't mean to muddy up the thread since Ryan has already eloquently given his defense for blowing large sums of money, but if you think for a second modding a car is anything like putting money in an 401k you're in the wrong place.

There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back. There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #55
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

great explanation, someone add this guy to their signature as he explains what car projects are all about.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #56
passatg60
Ready to race!

Drives: 07 GTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITg4ISa0Dc

You should tell this guy how idiotic and wasteful it is to be putting 500hp to his front wheels
passatg60 is offline   Reply With Quote