GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #57
erball
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Rolling burnouts
There's a valid argument against literally every single modification one could do to their car. I respond to all of them; because I can.

The biggest point I make is that no one expects a fast gti as a general rule. I'd say 85% of car guys don't take us seriously, so when I pull bus lengths on a mustang or c5 vette, that alone makes it worth it.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #58
mostic
Rally Car Champion

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflp View Post
There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back.

Quote:
There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.

Definitely true and respect

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles:
- Eagles flies only with eagles!
- To reach the top you must fly with the Top!
mostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #59
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by passatg60 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITg4ISa0Dc

You should tell this guy how idiotic and wasteful it is to be putting 500hp to his front wheels
One of my favorite videos for Eurodyne.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #60
firsttimebuyer
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Quote:
I don't mean to muddy up the thread since Ryan has already eloquently given his defense for blowing large sums of money, but if you think for a second modding a car is anything like putting money in an 401k you're in the wrong place.

There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back. There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.
Epic explanation here, i have this argument with my boss every time my car has a new part on it. lol The only people that understand are the ones in the parking lot next to you on a Friday night, or next in line at the strip, know what i mean.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 PM   #61
Lupin
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
i understand your experiences, but a well setup car will perform whether it's 150hp or 500hp. power rarely makes you much faster at the track to begin with. so depending on your goals it will be irrelevant. but any car needs upgrades to manage more power, not just fwd cars or volkswagens specifically. there are plenty of civics and minis out there hurting feelings and it's pretty easy to make a lightweight momentum car out of them. it just depends on your goals. and of course the driver.
No I completely agree, any upgrades in power will require upgrades in other aspect to handle the addition. Once again, I am simply questioning the return of efforts and finance put into a FWD car. I am also referring to the joy of driving around the track instead of the best track time. For those who mod FWD cars and care about how a car should behave on a track should really find a Cooper GT and take it on the track (pretty difficult, but it one of those cars that proofs me completely wrong about FWD). My end goal (not that it matters) is a stable, fun car to drive. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Hyde is in the same shoe.

Quote:
I don't mean to muddy up the thread since Ryan has already eloquently given his defense for blowing large sums of money, but if you think for a second modding a car is anything like putting money in an 401k you're in the wrong place.

There is no "investment", this is all for the love of creating something individual. This is fun money, none of it grows or can be had back. There is no "sense" here, it's all insanity.
Hate to bring out the terminology here, but modifying cars is an investment, just a piss poor one. (purchasing a car is also an investment) Just to clarify the terminolog confusion here.

Let's just end this discussion here as we are now taking the topic away from Hyde's built, which is what this thread is all about. I was curoius as to why Hyde would invest (spend) so much into the "wrong wheel drive" platform, but he answered my question previously and I did not take sedimental value into equate.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #62
flipflp
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '16 Golf R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Hate to bring out the terminology here, but modifying cars is an investment, just a piss poor one. (purchasing a car is also an investment) Just to clarify the terminolog confusion here.

Let's just end this discussion here as we are now taking the topic away from Hyde's built, which is what this thread is all about. I was curoius as to why Hyde would invest (spend) so much into the "wrong wheel drive" platform, but he answered my question previously and I did not take sedimental value into equate.
Going to have to agree to disagree with you on your terminology. Investments in an economic sense revolve around future growth and appreciation, not an immediate devaluation. If you want to fight that good fight and say investment, go for it. I only use that argument with my wife, but it's no good here.

I think this thread needs more pictures.
flipflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:08 PM   #63
Rotaryknight
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 GTi CSG
Awesome build! This is going to be epic.

Yes modding cars is pretty dumb. Money we'll never get back. We do what we do because we love it. Some people like, want, NEED to tinker. I'm in Socal and have access to a lot of tuners, parts etc. Someone once asked me why I just didn't buy a more expensive car that is faster, flashier etc. Problem is me. If I bought a more expensive car that's just a higher starting point for me to mod. I WILL mod it. I love working on cars.

I drive a lot. 25k miles a year. I drive cars to the ground. As soon as I buy something I start modding because I know I'll have the car for awhile and be in it a lot. Build what I want as fast as I can.....not the best mentality but it's who I am.

I love this build I love the OP's spends the money no fucks given.

My Feedback
Rotaryknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #64
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Looks good bro you really did go all out. Can't wait to see power numbers.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #65
RichBGTI
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White GTI
Bravo sir, Bravo.

Been following on Instagram and was looking forward to reading this thread. Will be following closely.

Admire your methodical, in-depth approach and attention to detail. Going to be a great car when it's 'done'... Ha, will it EVER be done!?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #66
Gino
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI
Quote:

You should tell this guy how idiotic and wasteful it is to be putting 500hp to his front wheels
That looks like so much fun. Makes me think about one day building a big turbo car.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #67
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Thanks everyone, it will never be done.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #68
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
HYDE builds are always epic!
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #69
jettaglx91
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 450whp TSI GTI, 420whp R, stock CC
Quote:

That car is all wheel drive

https://youtu.be/b_rui99NK3k
jettaglx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #70
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Thanks everyone, it will never be done.
I know the feeling Hyde.

Take 12 min if you havent seen this: