GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Marketplace > Vendor/Member Feedback Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #43
ECS Tuning
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Modified ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepflip View Post
Ive always purchased from ECS never had problem, ever. They ship out same day, boxed rly good, prices are basically same as other sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
I've had no issues with ECS Tuning but then again I'm more understanding than other people when it comes to small businesses.

Everyone is always striving to save that extra $2 dollars here and $5 dollars there but at the end of the day that's what kills small businesses. With that being said, ECS Tuning does have the lowest price on some items (e.g., Mann Oil Filters) and I usually buy items in large bulk (when I can) and ship it all together with other items, to save money that way. They've never steered me wrong and until they do, I'll keep buying my parts from them.
Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Andy
Old 03-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #44
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by handisnacks View Post
If you go down the chain further you'd more than likely find that the OEM supplier that VW has chosen is just getting their parts (or a portion of their parts) from the same factories in China. Aftermarket parts are NOT just "cast-off" of OEM parts that didn't meet spec. I don't know where you got that impression. More often than not, good aftermarket suppliers just save money because there's no big brand associated with it, thus fewer markups down the chain.
I was referring to the companies that market parts as OEM when they clearly are not. I'm also not here to argue with you since you apparently know everything already.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #45
fastmk6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 Mk6
Quote:
If you go down the chain further you'd more than likely find that the OEM supplier that VW has chosen is just getting their parts (or a portion of their parts) from the same factories in China. Aftermarket parts are NOT just "cast-off" of OEM parts that didn't meet spec. I don't know where you got that impression. More often than not, good aftermarket suppliers just save money because there's no big brand associated with it, thus fewer markups down the chain.
Not to argue with you, but just because a part looks the same doesn't mean its the same quality. I used to manage an auto parts store, and there was certainly a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket "OEM" parts in most cases if you really look. The thickness/quality of the metal/plastic, how well it was soldered, the gauge of the wire used, and all these things always seemed to directly relate to how long this aftermarket part lasted compared to OEM. Ive even heard of the parts being made in the same factory, with one line the "premium" line and the other the "cheap" line made with less quality parts and/or labor.

Not saying this is always the case either. Ive seen aftermarket parts made better and last longer than an OEM part too. But this is rarely the case with the "discount" parts that are a fraction of the price of OEM.

As for the ECS debate here, their prices have always scared me off. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks with a place if they treat me right, but when I can save 20-30 bucks on something it just makes sense to keep that money. Yeah its great to support a small business, but they have to remain competitive as well.
fastmk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #46
handisnacks
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmk6 View Post
Not to argue with you, but just because a part looks the same doesn't mean its the same quality. I used to manage an auto parts store, and there was certainly a difference in OEM vs. aftermarket "OEM" parts in most cases if you really look. The thickness/quality of the metal/plastic, how well it was soldered, the gauge of the wire used, and all these things always seemed to directly relate to how long this aftermarket part lasted compared to OEM. Ive even heard of the parts being made in the same factory, with one line the "premium" line and the other the "cheap" line made with less quality parts and/or labor.

Not saying this is always the case either. Ive seen aftermarket parts made better and last longer than an OEM part too. But this is rarely the case with the "discount" parts that are a fraction of the price of OEM.
That's certainly true in some cases, and it varies not only by the aftermarket manufacturer but the make/model of the car as well. Some make better parts for certain cars.
handisnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #47
handisnacks
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
I was referring to the companies that market parts as OEM when they clearly are not.
Ok but that's usually pretty obvious, and if it's mismarked on a site like Amazon, you can easily return it to Amazon (I only buy parts from authorized amazon sellers so I can use Prime).
Quote:
I'm also not here to argue with you since you apparently know everything already.
Ok? I never said I knew everything, but you clearly have an irrational jaded/biased view of aftermarket car parts.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #48
iAhhMaze
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Tornado Red GTI
Quote:
Ok but that's usually pretty obvious, and if it's mismarked on a site like Amazon, you can easily return it to Amazon (I only buy parts from authorized amazon sellers so I can use Prime).

Ok? I never said I knew everything, but you clearly have an irrational jaded/biased view of aftermarket car parts.
There are some decent aftermarket parts. As a painter i personally will never buy any i see to much aftermarket stuff just fit like complete garbage. Imho just not worth it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
2010 Tornado Red Unitronic Downpipe Unitronic Catback H&R Super Sports R8 Ignition Coils Unitronic Intake Unitronic Stage II GFB DV+ NSP Boost Gauge 20% Tint Neuspeed TBP Spulen TOP Shaved Front Bumper GSP Intercooler
iAhhMaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #49
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Quote:
If there's a $2 or $5 difference that's not a problem for most people.

My aftermarket PCV I bought was $45 on Amazon.
They have the EXACT same aftermarket part at ECS for $90.

See here: https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...ine/ES2681183/

That's a huge difference, plus shipping from Amazon is cheaper (free usually).

The only reason their oil filters are cheaper is due to the fact that they make up so much in shipping charges. That and if someone is buying a large enough bulk of them to get free shipping, they still make money, it's just a slimmer margin at that point.
I'm sorry, I don't believe you. I could be completely wrong and I'll retract my statement but I do not believe you bought the same exact aftermarket PCV for $45 that you linked from ECS that sells it for $90.

The reason being, Vaico is a German brand that even supplies OEM parts to German manufactures that then stamps "VW" or "Audi" on the part to sell them at a premium. Vaico parts, like OEM stamped parts will never sell below a certain price point UNLESS they are on closeout, where an argument about prices becomes irrelevant.

Unless you received the PCV in Vaico brand package with their known seal on the box, you did not buy a Vaico branded PCV.

Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #50
handisnacks
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't believe you. I could be completely wrong and I'll retract my statement but I do not believe you bought the same exact aftermarket PCV for $45 that you linked from ECS that sells it for $90.

The reason being, Vaico is a German brand that even supplies OEM parts to German manufactures that then stamps "VW" or "Audi" on the part to sell them at a premium. Vaico parts, like OEM stamped parts will never sell below a certain price point UNLESS they are on closeout, where an argument about prices becomes irrelevant.

Unless you received the PCV in Vaico brand package with their known seal on the box, you did not buy a Vaico branded PCV.
Well if it was a "clone" it was one the best I've ever seen. Not to mention that it worked just fine after installation and resetting the fuel trims. I'll reiterate what I said earlier, just because something is a "German brand" doesn't mean they don't also have their parts made in China. Almost EVERYTHING comes from China now, whether you choose to accept that or not is up to you.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #51
uglybastard
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: VW Mk6 CSG GTI 2D 6MT; Jeep WJ

R135 ..............VAGCOM in Southern NH
╬╬╣
..246.............. Insta
uglybastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #52
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I saw this and felt the need to clear something up.

Vaico is not an OEM supplier. Neither are Meyle, Uro, HT, or Rein; these are all the German equivalent of Pep Boys or Autozone brands. ECS lists the factory part number with every part they sell, presumably to help with searches. It doesn't mean it's an OEM part.

Just adding this bit because I've had bad experiences with Vaico, Meyle and Uro parts being garbage.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #53
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Annoyed with ECS also. I purchased an item from their website and paid a premium because they advertised "Same day shipping if ordered now". Bit the bullet and placed the order, i ordered the part on Monday, item didn't ship until Wednesday. From there it was delivered the following week on Thursday. East coast to West coast shipping and order processing took 10 days total from the time i placed the order to get to my door. It takes 2-3 days for packages to arrive from china, absolutely ridiculous. I missed a install date because of their shitty shipping. I posted a negative review on their Facebook page and they blamed Fedex for it. Fedex did nothing wrong, ECS did not not touch the package for over 24 hours and didn't have it shipped until Wednesday, shipping info shows all they did was create a label on the Tuesday and it was actually picked up by Fedex on Wednesday. Shitty service for overpriced parts. If i'm overpaying for parts i at least expect top notch service.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #54
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
I haven't bought anything from them for the longest time. Their prices aren't that bad but the shipping charges are REDONKULOUS, especially if the total is less than $50.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #55
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
I still order from them, but it pays to comparison shop, especially for maintenance parts. I've found I can get a lot of OEM stuff cheaper from my local dealer through vw's parts website.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 AM   #56
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Their prices aren't that bad but the shipping charges are REDONKULOUS, especially if the total is less than $50.
A lot of stuff, if the total of the order is over $49, ships for free now

I ordered some wheel spacers, lug bolts, strut bearings, and some other miscellaneous hardware....$0 for shipping

Just sayin'