GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Mods (interior & exterior modifications)

Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
ThatGTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Volkswagen GTI
deAutoKey de360 Fog Light Review

First off when I had the stock incandescent fog light bulbs in I didn't really have any problem with them. They seemed to due the job very well and were brighter than a lot of other cars stock fog lights. I upgraded to Hoen Xenon-match bulbs to have a closer color-temperature to the stock xenons. They were about the same brightness, but matched the xenons more.

I knew I wanted to get LED fog lights eventually, because everything else on my car except for the xenons is LED. I got a set of de360 bulbs from deAutoKey. Install is easy and straight forward. I was swapping my winter wheels over to my summer wheels, so I just went ahead and took the fender liner off for a bit more space. Take the stock bulb out by twisting. Then you need to put in the new one. These bulbs have a few more parts than just bulbs. They come with resistors and ballasts. Also the bulbs themselves are also able to be turned 360 degrees in the housing. I have mine turned so the the diodes are shining horizontally. You can see this a bit in the pictures. As for mounting the resistors and ballasts I ziptied them to a metal bracket right above the fog light access covered. The resistors can get hot, so you want to mount them away from things that can be damaged by heat. The ballasts do not get nearly as hot, but they should not be mounted right next to the resistors.

Onto my actual thoughts on how they perform. I didn't think the stock bulbs were dim by any means, but compared to these bulbs they are almost pointless. Unfortunately I don't have many pictures comparing the other bulbs vs these, but there really is no comparison. They are extremely bright. As for glare and or blinding oncoming drivers, it isn't as bad as you would think. I had someone drive my car while I drove towards it in a different car. You can tell that there is a serious amount of light coming out of the fog lights, but there isn't any bright direct light shining at oncoming drivers. There is a small area just in front of the bumper and out to the sides where there is direct light shining. If you are driving towards the car with those on you only have the light shining right at you for a split second as you pass. So you aren't driving at the car being blinded the whole time. I didn't really see a problem with it. Another plus to these compared to the Hoen bulbs I had is that these produce a very nice 6,000k color and the bulb themselves are silver and not blue, so looking at the housings they remain a clear color instead of a slight blue bulb inside. They OEM Xenons are more around 4,300k, so they aren't the same color as fogs but if you have other LEDs from deAutoKey these will match perfectly. One thing I was worried about by getting LED fogs was that the cornering fogs would look odd if they suddenly came on and off instead of fading like the stock bulbs. Thankfully these fade in and out just like them. I made a video clip with some shots of how much these LEDs light up. Around 1:45 I show how they fade in and out.

Overall I'm super impressed with these bulbs and still get all excited when I turn them on while on a dark back road.

Hoen Xenon-match

deAutoKey de360

ThatGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
pvieira1990

Drives:
Wow! I am absolutely shocked at how bright these are, there's almost no point in driving with your headlights on. I will definitely be picking up a set of these in yellow.

Good review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pvieira1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
spagett!
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '12 CW GTI, F-150
Great review. That 1700k color difference is a bit of a turn off but the brightness is impressive.

spagett! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
This is a great review. I just can't stand resistors and if they blind someone for a split second I don't want to be that guy. That said, I am still working on a 'safari' rack with a couple KC Daylighters lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #5
DubDriver17
Rally Car Champion

Drives: GTI
I didnt see any on their website actually labeled 360 fogs, is this the foglight kit for $150 that theyre selling?
2013 VW GTI 2.0T DSG |Unitronic Stage II Software| Eurojet Gen 1 Downpipe (catless) | Unitronic Intake | Forge Twintercooler | NewSouth Redline Boost Gauge | H&R Super Sports | Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts | ECS Tuning Spacers 10/15mm | Depo OEM Style LED tails | Ask me how you can donate to my car fund for more mods!
My Build Thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76790
DubDriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
AccelaSX
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 Black GTI K04 Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDriver17 View Post
I didnt see any on their website actually labeled 360 fogs, is this the foglight kit for $150 that theyre selling?
I have the same question.
AccelaSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
deAutoLED.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: VW
Thanks for the amazing review/DIY! Looks good.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccelaSX View Post
I have the same question.
Yes, the de360 is this listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti...-fog-light-kit

Thank you and let us know if you have any questions

Bright | Error Free | Tested to work
deAutoLED.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
luvdagators
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 13 CW Autobahn GTI (o\!/o)
Nice review, thanks
luvdagators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
DubDriver17
Rally Car Champion

Drives: GTI
These look like a much whiter color temp than the stock hid headlights, do you sell or can you recommend hid bulbs to match? I like to go all in
2013 VW GTI 2.0T DSG |Unitronic Stage II Software| Eurojet Gen 1 Downpipe (catless) | Unitronic Intake | Forge Twintercooler | NewSouth Redline Boost Gauge | H&R Super Sports | Koni STR.T Shocks/Struts | ECS Tuning Spacers 10/15mm | Depo OEM Style LED tails | Ask me how you can donate to my car fund for more mods!
My Build Thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76790
DubDriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Squashdaddy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 6MT 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagett! View Post
Great review. That 1700k color difference is a bit of a turn off but the brightness is impressive.
They are also sold in 5000k
Squashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
deAutoLED.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdagators View Post
Nice review, thanks
Quote:
These look like a much whiter color temp than the stock hid headlights, do you sell or can you recommend hid bulbs to match? I like to go all in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashdaddy View Post
They are also sold in 5000k
Yes, we have the H7RC kit in 6k which will better match and we are working on a d1s 6k design that will be tested later for the xenon housing.

H7RC can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti...-and-resistors

We do sell the 5k but we don't feel it will match the projector light which is more of a 4300k - it is very yellow in person vs 5k.

Bright | Error Free | Tested to work
deAutoLED.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 AM   #12
trickster640

Drives: 2013 GTI
What is the best color temperature of the deAutoKey LED fogs to match the stock bi-xenons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trickster640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
AccelaSX
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2012 Black GTI K04 Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by deAutoKey View Post
Thanks for the amazing review/DIY! Looks good.

Yes, the de360 is this listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti...-fog-light-kit

Thank you and let us know if you have any questions
Thanks for the link. I ordered a set.
AccelaSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
deAutoLED.com
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccelaSX View Post
Thanks for the link. I ordered a set.