GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing Pioneer's App Radio 4 in my wife's GTI

SI0M6GBJ

I managed to install Pioneer's App Radio on my Wife's 2010 GTI.

Our car came out from factory in some weird specification with RDC510 and no steering wheel controls, no bluetooth etc… The main goal here was to enable smooth bluetooth playback and hands free calling.

Since both me and my wife have iphones, we decided to explore native Apple solutions -> the choice here is between Alpine iLX 007 and Pioneer App Radio 4 (SPA-DA120). This youtube video convinced me to go with Pioneer as Alpine does not have bluetooth (?!). Also Pioneer seems to have hipower output (since I am not planning to use external amp just yet it make sense to go after higher builtin power)

Installation
First thing is to get rid of my old radio. Check this vid if you have never taken off the radio bezel - it shows exactly where the clips are and how to remove it without breaking. I managed not to break anything. The original radio came down without any fight. Then I started playing with wiring. I wanted the original harness to stay intact (as much as possible), so I used harness from this kit to access speakers and power lines from original RCD socket.

Half an hour later my harness was ready:

I used the +12 Acc (and dim +12 signal) from the lighter:

One thing left is to attach all the missing inputs:
- GPS antenna (passenger side, cable routed above the glove box)
- external mic (I used the rear view mirror mount)

- USB cable (I used USB1 socket as it is meant for Apple devices)
- Radio antenna (needed a converted - came with harness kit mentioned earlier - we have only one English radio station here in Bahrain, but I connected it anyways - nice to have a working radio)

Mixed feelings so far. One thing that Pioneer does really good is the audio quality. I have FH-700bt installed in my other ride, so I knew what to expect - this radio makes the OEM speakers sound much more clear (although don't expect hi-fi from OEM installation). The voice quality when calling is fantastic! The screen is responsive, but it is still not the same touch experience like you get with your average tablet…

Car Play
First thing to point out is that you need siri to be ON at all times for this feature to work (there goes your battery life). Second thing is that it needs to be connected via cable - Pioneer mentions some extra cable/adapter allowing you to connect HDMI and mix the signal into apple's lightning cable - I am not going to watch movies on it, so I will not be exploring that option… There is no way to turn on Car Play via Bluetooth. Having said that - the radio suffers from some kind of interface schizophrenia - when you connect the cable, car play starts and you have all the nice Apple-touch interface with Siri asking you what to do next. But when the cable is not connected, the radio falls back to Pioneer's Bluetooth Audio interface - the music keeps playing, just the visuals are not that fancy anymore - the next/previous buttons are much smaller, there is no track artwork displayed anymore.

I'll post some more when I (my wife) get(s) to know the radio a bit more.

What's missing
Not everything is there tough. Weirdly enough I wasn’t able to locate an ignition +12 output in the OEM radio harness, so I used the below lighter power socket (I also found a dimmer signal +12V in the very same lighter outlet socket so the radio nicely dims when lights are on).

There is no rear/backup camera. OEM camera sends RGB signal to this third socket that I haven't connected to anything here. I may use some adapter to "extract" the RGB signal and convert it into composite NTSC video, but it is not a priority yet.

Similarly - the park assist only beeps - there is no visual anymore.

I still haven't figured out what to do with this hand brake cable. I left it disconnected - not sure what to expect - should it be connected to +12V or to ground. And why is it required anyways? I read it has something to do with laws in US, but since the radio works… well… Maybe when I figure out how to plug in external video it will just not work unless I connect it somewhere…

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
The hand brake cable is to not allow you to watch DVDs or videos from a usb flash drive while driving, it can be bypassed with a on/off trigger switch which would connect to the radio ground wire and the green wire to the power in the trigger switch to be able to manually switch the switch on to make it think you have your parking brake set on to adjust Bluetooth settings, watch movies, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SI0M6GBJ

Moving on...

Garage button + handbrake switch (I failed to remove the central console... this sh!t is impossible to do in 3D car without
PHP:
removing seats) + USB IN button. Both buttons from Double Apex. Working and looking good! Although my 6 years old buttons are a bit darker than the OEM ones... but it is barely noticeable.

OEM rear view cam working (but I had to do some aliexpress trading to get the right adapter). Yet still need to find some pioneer forums to ask some questions - I was unable to get the signal from the camera working during native "reverse cam" mode. I must be doing something stupid... anyways - temporarily available when manually switching to "AV" mode.

nadams5755

Ready to race!
I've mounted the GPS receiver under the dash but above the hvac vents. As long as it's not shrouded in metal, it will work fine.

Double sided tape and wedging it on top of the vent tubes will keep it in place

SI0M6GBJ

Just to confirm, I retained the entire functionality of RCD510 using OEM camera...

the RGB to RCA converter cost me $42 shipped from China (link to aliexpress here). Unfortunately the device failed to deliver the +12V trigger for reverse gear lever position, and I was too lazy to dig the signal from the module located under the steering wheel (J519 module - more details here). Eventually I connected it to reverse lamp and routed the cable back.

Music quality in this Pioneer unit is comparable to RCD510, so can't really say I gained here anything here. Not sure if I want to upgrade speakers too at this point, since my wife does not complain ;).

The radio is SUPER annoying... if I knew getting it connected will take me so much time, I would never go for it in the first place - funny thing is that these couble be easily fixed by software patch:

1/ ALWAYS when turning the car I have to confirm terms and conditions before I can use the radio (SERIOUSLY?!)

2/ I cannot set my timezone (Middle East), as the radio does not "support" my region. Like there is any support requirement to have a proper GMT+4 timezone selected...

3/ MAP App (The Apple one, as GOOGLE MAPS is explicitly blocked from running on the head unit) DOES NOT allow you to TYPE the destination... you can only negotiate the route with SIRI. So unless you go to some common landmarks like "airport", or you know a hotel's name nearby - don't even bother... I often must go to the place I have no clue about, all I need is direction - you can't just point with your finger on a map and tell her "here" - it always expects you to know the address. A serious step back Apple!!!!... Serious annoyance - I am still mad when thinking about it.

IF YOU ARE BUYING APP RADIO TO GET AFTERMARKET NAVIGATION - FORGET ABOUT IT! IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY!

Now I'll try to get one of these android radios to fit in my Ford Edge and compare the two... I am wondering how much better (worse?) will it be?