GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #29
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
I'm using an ECS Tuning intake with the stock MAF housing running Cobb Stage 1+. I don't believe this is an issue? Maybe Cobb can clarify.
Cobb has said its not advisable and other have pointed out that it is a 3" housing now and that cobb tuned for the larger housing.

Is there any way you can data log and see if there are any issues with using a more standard intake(AKA ever other intake in the market)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #30
blingdub
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI MK6 Autobahn MT, Uni 1+
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
I'm using an ECS Tuning intake with the stock MAF housing running Cobb Stage 1+. I don't believe this is an issue? Maybe Cobb can clarify.
please data log and report fuel trims. every other tune has fuel trim problems when the MAF is either moved, or the diameter is wrong.

i think everyone would agree that one-piece intakes look better than two-piece intakes, but then why does every other established tuner provide two-piece intakes?
blingdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 AM   #31
blingdub
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI MK6 Autobahn MT, Uni 1+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Cobb has said its not advisable and other have pointed out that it is a 3" housing now and that cobb tuned for the larger housing.
that's a standard response from any tuner for liability reasons. i wouldn't be surprised that they had to create their own intake specifically for this reason, since they wouldn't want to say "use any aftermarket intake" and when shit breaks they're liable for recommending that.

what's most important is whether short term and long term fuel trims are within spec, with COBB's intake, and with other intakes that keep the stock housing (APR, Uni, ECS, IE, CTS, etc.)
blingdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #32
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingdub View Post
that's a standard response from any tuner for liability reasons. i wouldn't be surprised that they had to create their own intake specifically for this reason, since they wouldn't want to say "use any aftermarket intake" and when shit breaks they're liable for recommending that.

what's most important is whether short term and long term fuel trims are within spec, with COBB's intake, and with other intakes that keep the stock housing (APR, Uni, ECS, IE, CTS, etc.)
See your not seeing the issue.

They changed the MAF size and only their tune accounts for the increased MAF housing size. So if your not using the larger 3" housing(aka their intake) its not working properly.

They didnt tune using the oem maf housing(like every other tuner) They built their intake with a larger housing and scaled their tune to work exclusively with that larger housing. (for 1+ and up) Stage 1 uses stock maf.

Its not just a simple we recommend our intake but others with good trims/flow will work.

Its a our tune only works with our intake, because of the increased diameter of the housing and that they accounted for it in the tuning process.

Unless im completely wrong but that seems the impression they are leaving.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #33
toxicfusion
Banned

Drives: 2013 GLI Autobahn
I just gave a big middle finger to VWVortex forum. Yesterday was a thread started by "MAPerformance" and they posted REAL dyno numbers of Cobb Stage1 93oct tune

I was rude, as i swore it said Stage2 93oct. So I questioned it

Today -- thread is gone.
toxicfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #34
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

I saw the thread it was like 240/275 wheel or something like that they claimed stage 1 93octane

But then never came back when people were asking questions
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #35
COBB Tuning
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: 2012 GTI, 2015 GTI, 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sspcivic31 View Post
Thanks for the logging clarification. What about the other two questions?
Sorry about that! We may be offering Accesstuner Race in the future, though I haven't seen an ETA yet. Our typical release strategy is to let Protuners use the software for a period of time before releasing it to the general public. This way, any potential issues are encountered in a controlled environment and we have a direct line of communication to help the Protuner sort through and address those issues.

While we do recommend having other tuning solutions removed before installation, we have tested a few internally that we are able to overwrite during the Install process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave80 View Post
Would Jr be able to do a custom K04 tune at P&L?
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzr15 View Post
Many of us are already tuned with other companies' OTS tunes. If we were interested in switching to your platform, will we need to have our car's ECU flashed back to stock by a shop, before using your Accessport?
While we do recommend having other tuning solutions removed before installation, we have tested a few internally that we are able to overwrite during the Install process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Welcome to the club guys!

Tell us about protuning. Specifically how your AP handles the plotudinous box codes and software revisions for these cars. If, say, I wrote a conservative (OTS-friendly) k04 tune on my 1K0-907-115-AT S0010 ECU, will I be able to give it to my buddy to load onto a gen 1 EA888 with a different box code?

This is REALLY great logging capability for the platform. What's the export file format? txt, csv, other? Care to share a sample file so I can poke around?
The Accessport does differentiate between box codes. So, a 115-AT file would not be compatible with a 115-AS ECU.

The data log export file is in .csv format. Shoot me an email (marshall@cobbtuning.com) and I can share a few sample data log files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Welcome. Is there any plans for an OTS low ethanol blend tune? Like E20-E30?
It has been discussed. We are obviously just getting started with this platform so expect to see regular updates with new features and map support for additional parts and configurations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blingdub View Post
are there plans to release accesstuner race in the future?
We do not yet have an ETA for releasing Accesstuner Race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuccer View Post
What are the gain numbers for 91 octane?
As a rule of thumb, we typically remove 5% from the 93 octane gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrown0509 View Post
So anytime you would change something with a bolt on performance part you will have to go in and adjust the tune from the videos I have watched? Also only are scaled to Cobb's performance parts? Yeah APR and Unitronic and others may be more expensive but they adapt to whatever performance parts are on your car right? I'm still in the dilemma of what tune to go with bur I'd like to wait and see what Cobb comes out with. I'd rather pay more and have professionals do it and will still be tailored to your climate, octane, and the modification parts that are already on my car. Plus, companies like Uni design their program to work like the factory ecu which is always changing all the engine dynamics as you're driving.
You are correct in stating that the ECU is always making small adjustments while the car is being driven. This is true for essentially every closed-loop fueling vehicle in existence. The car makes minor changes to fueling, timing, and much more based on feedback from sensors. With that said, this doesn't give the car the ability to adapt to any parts you throw at it. Those parts will need to be properly calibrated for so that the factory systems are still able to function as they are intended.

Quote:
Yeah not liking the fact you guys use a different maf size and scale everything to it. Forcing everyone to buy your intake because it wont work with the standard or oem maf housing.

Bit disappointing that you guys come into a market that has been open for 7 years and now decide to write tunes above stage 1 with hardware only you supply to force people to spend more money and changing what they already have, since atleast 80% of the people on here have a intake..and they all use the oem unit or same size as oem, if they want stage 1+ or higher.
Quote:

Is there any way you can data log and see if there are any issues with using a more standard intake(AKA ever other intake in the market)?
Quote:
See your not seeing the issue.

They changed the MAF size and only their tune accounts for the increased MAF housing size. So if your not using the larger 3" housing(aka their intake) its not working properly.

They didnt tune using the oem maf housing(like every other tuner) They built their intake with a larger housing and scaled their tune to work exclusively with that larger housing. (for 1+ and up) Stage 1 uses stock maf.

Its not just a simple we recommend our intake but others with good trims/flow will work.

Its a our tune only works with our intake, because of the increased diameter of the housing and that they accounted for it in the tuning process.

Unless im completely wrong but that seems the impression they are leaving.
The Stage1+ and Stage2 calibrations are designed (scaled for) the COBB Intake. We have not tested against other manufacturers intakes. If the tubing size and filter element are similar, chances are you wont have issues.

As a note; we are already designing and planning to release an additional intake option that utilizes the factory MAF housing. Once that part is available, we will also offer OTS map files that suit that intake and likely any other intake that utilizes the factory MAF housing.

Marshall@COBB

VW EXPERT GROUP - ALEX FOX | CHRIS BLACK | CHRIS MOUNTAIN | DREW GORRIE | JASON GABOURY | IAN ARMSTRONG | MARSHALL GLASGOW
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | EMAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE
COBB Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #36
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post

As a note; we are already designing and planning to release an additional intake option that utilizes the factory MAF housing. Once that part is available, we will also offer OTS map files that suit that intake and likely any other intake that utilizes the factory MAF housing.

Marshall@COBB
Good deal, thank you.
mamock116 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #37
OhioMK6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Quote:
The Stage1+ and Stage2 calibrations are designed (scaled for) the COBB Intake. We have not tested against other manufacturers intakes. If the tubing size and filter element are similar, chances are you wont have issues.

Marshall@COBB
Thanks for clarification.

I'm currently on Stage 1+ with an ECS Intake. If I'm not knocking and my A/F ratio is good then I should be okay until the new maps come out correct? Should I flash back to Stage 1 high boost instead? Please let me know what my safest bet is.
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #38
rasetsu
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, 2014 RS 5, 2005 STi
I don't see the big deal in Cobb releasing a Stage 1+ map that only supports their intake at launch. This product literally JUST launched. Cobb has had no issues releasing updates down the line to accommodate for other popular intakes later on for other platforms and the beauty is that you can perform the upgrade in your garage as the new files will be downloadable for free. Why shouldn't they want to sell their own stuff first at launch? If anything, that tells me that they rather put out a package they can confidently stand behind instead of just wanting to grab the most customers possible.

If you want to be an early adopter to try the Cobb AP but don't want to purchase another expensive intake which is very understandable, then just put the stock box back on and run the stage 1 map. If you don't want to bother with that, then just wait or go with another tune.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #39
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

I may have slightly over reacted at first. I blame it on the skip of my morning coffee today.

See the second signature of mine to understand Volkswagon Forum Mentality lol.

I am glad that they will be accommodating additional intakes/oem maf in the future. Just through me off at first read.

I sorry Cobb

*Edit*
I noticed in your Faq it mentions windows 8.1 im assuming it will work well with windows 10 also?
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by lilonespaz; 03-23-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #40
Goingnowherefast

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Quote:

It has been discussed. We are obviously just getting started with this platform so expect to see regular updates with new features and map support for additional parts and configurations.

Marshall@COBB
Thanks for the answer Marshall. I'll be waiting patiently for the MK7 release.

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #41
Spyder368
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: SBM 2012 GTI 6MT 2DR
Keep in mind as well that the protuners just got access to this as well and now need customers to test and create maps that can be shared in the future. Looking forward to what Justin Brasil aka Freektune comes out with after testing on a few VWs.
2012 SB GTI 2D / APR Stg II / FST Stg 3 daily clutch kit / Billy Boat TBE / Unitronic CAI / Unitronic DV Relocation Kit / Neuspeed FMIC / Forge Short Shift / VWR Springs / APR Boost Tap / AWE Boost Gauge / AWE TOP / Integrated Engineering SBB / Spulen DB Insert /Soundaktor Delete
Spyder368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #42
mamock116

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
Cobb, will yall be at SOWO this year?
mamock116 is online now   Reply With Quote