GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
franco516
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: gti
Haus of Dub (HOD) 6GT clutch Review

Ill start of by saying, this is my first time ever writing a real review about any car part I've owned so if miss anything or you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me in this thread. Last October I finally made the switch to stage2(GIAC) from having stage 1 for close to a year without any clutch(stock) issues, 5 months into having S2 i noticed the dreaded clutch slip everyone experiences, I knew I was going to need a clutch from the beginning and i am happy it took so long to actually slip because it gave me enough time to save for an aftermarket clutch.
After months of forum research I had pretty much decided on the HStuning RSR clutch but seriously disliked the idea of having to spend 1000$ for it plus another 100$ for the TOB, plus transmission fluids and then installation fees, yes I know I could have followed the "build your own rsr clutch" thread and saved around 400-500$ on it but the idea of ordering every single part separately and having to drill holes drew me away from it so my next step was to find a happy medium, another type of "RSR" clutch. I took my search to the mk7 forums and found out some guys were running the Haus of dub 6GT clutch, something I have had never heard of but i decided to look into it. Haus of dub is a performance shop based out of Ohio and the 6GT is their clutch just like the rsr is to HStuning and so forth, what intrigued me was the 750$ price tag and also the fact that if it could hold tuned mk7 power, it could deffinetly hold my peasant mk6 stage2 power. I went ahead and added HOD on FB and messaged them, the owner Andy was super helpful, answered all my questions and concerns and to this day still follows up to see how I'm liking the clutch. I knew i was taking a chance, there might be 1 or 2 other reviews of this clutch but I said fuck it, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 6gt off their site.

https://shop.hausofdub.com/collectio...6gt-clutch-kit

Took about a month to finally get the clutch after ordering it, first I had to wait a week because they were waiting on a shipment on one of the clutch parts, then on week 2 I got the clutch in the mail but then was told over FB that i was sent the wrong one which was for an R32, thank god he told me because that same weekend I scheduled the installation and that woulda sucked, week3 and still nothing, finally on week4 when I got back from a work trip to Texas, the correct clutch was waiting at my door. Immediately that weekend I took it to my dudes shop here in Long island, the guys installed it while I was there, took em two hours and ,made the whole clutch install process look like a freaking joke. I had bought a TOB from USP and tranny fluid from some other website i cant remember. I didn't think i needed a new flywheel because my car only has 35k miles on it and I'm glad i didn't buy one cause my stock one was in perfect condition.

So after leaving the shop I stalled my car in their parking lot, The clutch felt very different from stock obviously, much stiffer but wasn't crazy harsh, the next two days of driving it, I had stalled the car 4 times leaving parking lots and the clutch still felt pretty much same as when i left the shop. Few days go by, 200 miles and i finally start to get used to it, 300 miles and I felt the clutch breaking in finally. 400miles in and the clutch is much easier to handle in all around driving conditions, 500 miles and it seriously felt almost stock and I was ready to smash the gas pedal but decided to wait till a little more, 600 and the clutch felt great and held all the power i was throwing at it and I am super happy with it, Obviously its an aftermarket clutch so i wasn't expecting it to feel like stock but seriously it's extremely close to it just a little stiffer which I very much like, not squishy like stock, feels like a real clutch. The clutch now has 1100 miles, It is fully broken in and I couldn't be happier, the only thing that bothered me was that going from 1st to 2nd the car bogs if you don't very slowly put out the clutch so I bought the 034 dogbone insert and that pretty much fixed the problem and made the clutch experience that much better also I drove my buddies mk6 which has a Southbend daily 2 and I hated it, comparing it to the 6gt the feel is very similar but the SB is much springier on the way out which i really didn't like and that clutch has been fully broken in a long time ago. Honestly I'm pretty freaking siked on this purchase, I can finally drive the car like It should be driven, smash the gas in every gear, on the highway to pass ppl and not have to worry about it slipping, not scared to go WOT is a great feeling. All and all I highly recommend anyone the HOD 6gt if you don't want to spend 1000+ on a clutch, I will keep updating this thread as time goes on, Thank you for reading my whole spiel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by franco516; 04-12-2016 at 10:25 AM.
franco516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
baniels
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 4dr 6MT GTI
Nice review. Your break-in experience sounds exactly like I remember my RSR. I'm also GIAC stage 2, but I put on the clutch while stage one; not because of slippage but a blown TOB.

I toyed with the DIY RSR also, but was similarly put off by the drilling and other headaches, plus I was in a rush to get the car back on the road. My flywheel was also fine despite being at 81,000 miles.

I would be considering this closely if I was to do it over again. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your shop knew what they were doing. 2 hrs is fast.

I also have the 034 insert. Installed it a few weeks ago. I was really impressed by how connected I felt to the drivetrain.

Cheers.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
franco516

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Nice review. Your break-in experience sounds exactly like I remember my RSR. I'm also GIAC stage 2, but I put on the clutch while stage one; not because of slippage but a blown TOB.

I toyed with the DIY RSR also, but was similarly put off by the drilling and other headaches, plus I was in a rush to get the car back on the road. My flywheel was also fine despite being at 81,000 miles.

I would be considering this closely if I was to do it over again. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like your shop knew what they were doing. 2 hrs is fast.

I also have the 034 insert. Installed it a few weeks ago. I was really impressed by how connected I felt to the drivetrain.

Cheers.

Thanks homie! Yeah the insert is great, idk why i slacked on one for soo long!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 AM   #4
92slc
Go Kart Newbie

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franco516 View Post
Ill start of by saying, this is my first time ever writing a real review about any car part I've owned so if miss anything or you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask me in this thread. Last October I finally made the switch to stage2(GIAC) from having stage 1 for close to a year without any clutch(stock) issues, 5 months into having S2 i noticed the dreaded clutch slip everyone experiences, I knew I was going to need a clutch from the beginning and i am happy it took so long to actually slip because it gave me enough time to save for an aftermarket clutch.
After months of forum research I had pretty much decided on the HStuning RSR clutch but seriously disliked the idea of having to spend 1000$ for it plus another 100$ for the TOB, plus transmission fluids and then installation fees, yes I know I could have followed the "build your own rsr clutch" thread and saved around 400-500$ on it but the idea of ordering every single part separately and having to drill holes drew me away from it so my next step was to find a happy medium, another type of "RSR" clutch. I took my search to the mk7 forums and found out some guys were running the Haus of dub 6GT clutch, something I have had never heard of but i decided to look into it. Haus of dub is a performance shop based out of Ohio and the 6GT is their clutch just like the rsr is to HStuning and so forth, what intrigued me was the 750$ price tag and also the fact that if it could hold tuned mk7 power, it could deffinetly hold my peasant mk6 stage2 power. I went ahead and added HOD on FB and messaged them, the owner Andy was super helpful, answered all my questions and concerns and to this day still follows up to see how I'm liking the clutch. I knew i was taking a chance, there might be 1 or 2 other reviews in this clutch but I said fuck it, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 6gt off their site.

https://shop.hausofdub.com/collectio...6gt-clutch-kit

Took about a month to finally get the clutch after ordering it, first I had to wait a week because they were waiting on a shipment on one of the clutch parts, then on week 2 I got the clutch in the mail but then was told over FB that i was sent the wrong one which was for an R32, thank god he told me because that same weekend I scheduled the installation and that woulda sucked, week3 and still nothing, finally on week4 when I got back from a work trip to Texas, the correct clutch was waiting at my door. Immediately that weekend I took it to my dudes shop here in Long island, the guys installed it while I was there, took em two hours and ,made the whole clutch install process look like a freaking joke. I had bought a TOB from USP and tranny fluid from some other website i cant remember. I didn't think i needed a new flywheel because my car only has 35k miles on it and I'm glad i didn't buy one cause my stock one was in perfect condition.

So after leaving the shop I stalled my car in their parking lot, The clutch felt very different from stock obviously, much stiffer but wasn't crazy harsh, the next two days of driving it, I had stalled the car 4 times leaving parking lots and the clutch still felt pretty much same as when i left the shop. Few days go by, 200 miles and i finally start to get used to it, 300 miles and I felt the clutch breaking in finally. 400miles in and the clutch is much easier to handle in all around driving conditions, 500 miles and it seriously felt almost stock and I was ready to smash the gas pedal but decided to wait till a little more, 600 and the clutch felt great and held all the power i was throwing at it and I am super happy with it, Obviously its an aftermarket clutch so i wasn't expecting it to feel like stock but seriously it's extremely close to it just a little stiffer which I very much like, not squishy like stock, feels like a real clutch. The clutch now has 1100 miles, It is fully broken in and I couldn't be happier, the only thing that bothered me was that going from 1st to 2nd the car bogs if you don't very slowly put out the clutch so I bought the 034 dogbone insert and that pretty much fixed the problem and made the clutch experience that much better also I drove my buddies mk6 which has a Southbend daily 2 and I hated it, comparing it to the 6gt the feel is very similar but the SB is much springier on the way out which i really didn't like and that clutch has been fully broken in a long time ago. Honestly I'm pretty freaking siked on this purchase, I can finally drive the car like It should be driven, smash the gas in every gear, on the highway to pass ppl and not have to worry about it slipping, not scared to go WOT is a great feeling. All and all I highly recommend anyone the HOD 6gt if you don't want to spend 1000+ on a clutch, I will keep updating this thread as time goes on, Thank you for reading my whole spiel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review, saw this clutch set up but wanted know a bit more about it, like how does it compare to other setups or vs upgraded clutches like the ones with the smf, I know. Noise would be a problem for a some ppl but not so much for me
92slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
franco516

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92slc View Post
Thanks for the review, saw this clutch set up but wanted know a bit more about it, like how does it compare to other setups or vs upgraded clutches like the ones with the smf, I know. Noise would be a problem for a some ppl but not so much for me

I wouldn't know, ive never driven a SMF. Regarding noise, there is none, only at idle do you feel the car vibrate a tid bit more than with the stock clutch, literally barely noticeable.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
When my clutch is broken in we'll switch and go for a drive. I'm curious if it'll feel any different.

Great review dude
Old 04-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
franco516

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
When my clutch is broken in we'll switch and go for a drive. I'm curious if it'll feel any different.

Great review dude

Yes we should!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 PM   #8
bmllr8
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Looks interesting.
bmllr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:32 AM   #9
schwabo

Drives: 2012 Golf
I just got the HOD 6GT kit for my MK7R and thank you for sharing the breakin and impressions. Did you do mostly highway or intown driving?
schwabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #10
franco516

Update: clutch going strong, truly fully broken in now and no complains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
franco516

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwabo View Post
I just got the HOD 6GT kit for my MK7R and thank you for sharing the breakin and impressions. Did you do mostly highway or intown driving?

Intown driving forsure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
eppy
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 11 GTI, 01 RSV4, 04 GXR750, F-150
HOD clutch kit here also, love it!
eppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
urbanevil
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6 spd
Really considering this and the South bend stage 2.
2013 GTI 6spd - CTS k04, Unitronic Intake, Unitronic Turbo Back Exhaust , 42 Draft Designs Boost Tap, GFB DV+, SouthBend Stg 2 Daily,ARM FMIC, Golf R Conversion Front Bumper w/ LEDS, CTS Short Shift Kit, CTS K04 TOP Pipe, CTS Throttle Pipe,Solowerks S1 Coilovers, NewSouth OEM Vent Pod, Podi mechanical Boost Gauge, R8 Coils, NGK Iridium plugs, Eonon GA6153F
urbanevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 AM   #14
nickp
Autocross Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI Wolfsburg
Its a good deal if you dont need a new fly wheel but if you do that'll add 500$?? to the cost. Still 500$ less than rsr at that point

Coming Soon: RSR Clutch, Unitronic Stage 2, CTS 3in Downpipe, Firestone Indy 500
nickp is offline   Reply With Quote