GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
COBB Intake review

Intake: COBB
Price: $395
Tune: COBB Stage 1+, Stage 2

Review:
I am very impressed with overall build quality, fit, and finish is excellent and on par with all the Unitronics intakes I have seen. You can see in the photos that the intake has a very even flow and a lack of any hard bends. The air flow from filter housing to turbo inlet is very smooth. I had the APR Carbonio stage 1 prior and I didn't like the fact that I had to buy the rear section separately. As cool as the carbon fiber look is, the cost of stage 1 with the stage 2 was just too much. I also wanted to see the benefits of using the 3” MAF housing. This also required me to change from Unitronic Stage 2 to the COBB AcessPort (I will cover this in a separate review). As you can see in the photos below the effort they put into the mount alone shows the time spent in design.

Sound:
It sounds very similar to the APR (without the darth vadar noise) but turned up 3 levels. This intake vs. stock is a big difference. You can hear the DV and has a subtle blow off sound, when off throttle.

Power:
As we all know the intakes don’t make a ton of power standalone, but when running a specific tune for that setup it works great. I don’t have dyno pulls with just the intake, but the power band feels a lot smoother and stronger.

Intake by Walkert., on Flickr

Filter by Walkert., on Flickr

Intake mount by Walkert., on Flickr

MAF mount by Walkert., on Flickr

Turbo intake by Walkert., on Flickr
MK6 VW Driver's Group@Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita, Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R sport, H&R adjustable rear sway 26mm, Koni orange, R8 coils

Last edited by WalkerT; 04-09-2016 at 12:39 PM.
WalkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
luvdagators
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 13 CW Autobahn GTI (o\!/o)
Looks good, thanks for the review
luvdagators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
phuccer
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG 4DR CSG
First off, thank you very much for the review. This intake looks very nice.

Quick question about the COBB tune but somewhat related to their intake as well. I am considering COBB vs Unitronic/Uni+. At this point I will probably only be going Stage 1 and maybe Stage 2.

I currently have a Modshack intake, but I am considering selling it for either a COBB or Unitronic intake depending on which tune I get. I don't like the big empty space to the right of the intake on the Modshack. I plan on getting the tune first. I know with Unitronic, I probably won't have any issues while using my Modshack Intake.

Do you guys think I will have any issues with running Stage 1 on COBB while running my Modshack intake since their tune is designed for a 3" MAF? Or would the ECU automatically adjust for it?
phuccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

The stage 1 Cobb tune can be used with any intake. The stage 1+ and 2 is for the 3" maf Cobb intake.

The AccessPort is the best reason to go COBB! I will cover that in an additional review.
MK6 VW Driver's Group@Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita, Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R sport, H&R adjustable rear sway 26mm, Koni orange, R8 coils
Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
SHAPIN
Go Kart Champion

Drives: GTI MK6 DSG
Can i log any car with my accessport, oor only my car, it can save me and my friends that pricey vcds cable.
SHAPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

You would have to unmarrie it from your car in order to use it on another. That would remove your tune during that time.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
luvdagators
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 13 CW Autobahn GTI (o\!/o)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerT View Post

The AccessPort is the best reason to go COBB! I will cover that in an additional review.
Looking forward to it
luvdagators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
blingdub
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI MK6 Autobahn MT, Uni 1+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAPIN View Post
Can i log any car with my accessport, oor only my car, it can save me and my friends that pricey vcds cable.
you can log multiple cars but it'd be a big hassle because you'd have to marry and unmarry each time you switch cars.
blingdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
SHAPIN
Go Kart Champion

Drives: GTI MK6 DSG
Thanks for the answer, i guess my accessport will be in "Selfish" mod
SHAPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #10
92slc
Go Kart Newbie

Drives:
Yup not worth changing between two cars just for diagnostics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
92slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
spenny02
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI MKVI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerT View Post
[size="5"]
Intake by Walkert., on Flickr
did you paint your cover? it looks good.
spenny02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
FriggenT
Banned

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Cobb has always made top quality stuff, looks good.
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny02 View Post
did you paint your cover? it looks good.
Thanks, Yep I painted the center.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

My APR intake max flow rate was 196 gs and this intake has already recorded 220 gs flow rate on MAF readings