GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronics Stage 2 -- DYNO

Software: COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronics Stage 2

Dyno: Mustang AWD dyno, very conservative i.e. “heart breaker”

Vehicle: 2012 VW GTI DSG 46k miles CCTA 2.0 TSI stock IHI turbo

Gas: Shell 93 Octane

Mods: APR carbonio intake, Eurojet 3” catless DP, CTS 3” exhaust, Charge pipe, Throttle pipe, R8 coils, NGK one step colder plugs, 19” BBS CH 235/35/19, H&R suspension

Weather: Dry and in the 70’s, within 5-6 degrees of both dyno runs

REVIEW:
As most of you, I was at a point with modifying my GTI were I was running out of reliable power adders. I always wished I could get a custom ECU tune but until now there just weren’t any viable options. COBB has changed the game in ECU tuning for our platform.

To begin this comparison, we ran the car on an AWD Mustang dyno to see what the Unitronics Stage 2 was putting to the ground. With my car’s current modifications, the Unitronics stage 2 tune put down a respectable 240 whp and 271 wtq. As you can see on the dyno, the Unitronics tune had a refined curve and had very little variation. This was the highest of the three pulls we did, and there was a minimal variance between the three runs.

Having gotten our base line numbers, COBB tuning installed their AccessPort. It is a rapid process that is minimally invasive, and they uploaded the new tune directly through the OBDII port. COBB also installed their Big SF Intake System (See my COBB intake review). Then it was back to the dyno for the Pro-Tune. A COBB professional tuner sits in the car on the dyno, and fine tunes their software to make the most power for your car. This is very important, because we all have different modifications installed on our cars. He starts with a base line, and then he modifies boost, timing, and fuel. The process took just a couple hours and the results were staggering! As you can see on the dyno chart the COBB Pro-Tune is equally as refined and made 257 whp and 320 wtq!!

THE DRIVE:
I noticed an immediate difference in tone the first time I started the car. I made my way out onto the highway to test the performance while getting up to highway speeds. As traffic cleared, it was time to drop the throttle and see real world results. The acceleration was striking! Unlike some other tunes on the market, there weren't any issues with the DSG in manual mode; the shifts were also lightning fast. I clicked down a gear and sailed past triple digits. Before I knew it, the other cars just became a blur! I got back down to a safe and respectable speed (the car did not skip a beat) and was still getting 32mpg! The DSG “brap” was even louder, and I found myself shifting more just to enjoy it!

AccessPort:
This interface is amazing and I will cover the AccessPort in a separate in detail review. I just had to get the Pro-Tune review out. I am just so impressed with the ability to pull so much power over the Off The Shelf (OTS) options we have all be using for years.

[IMG]Dyno Uni Cobb by Walkert., on Flickr[/IMG]

MK6 VW Driver's Group @ Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" catless DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita , Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R suspension, H&R adjustable rear sway 24mm, R8 coils,

Last edited by WalkerT; 04-19-2016 at 07:21 AM.
WalkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
OhioMK6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Those numbers are huge for a Mustang Dyno. Hmmm, those are good numbers.

How much did the pro tune cost you?
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
looks pretty good to me. Did they do a base line dyno of the OTS stage 2 tune? would be interested in what they were able to put up over their own OTS tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
impressive.jpg
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
DonŽ
Oval Champion

Drives: Golf 2.0 HTA86R|09 A3 TTE480 Qttro
What's the difference in boost between the two?
DonŽ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
MeanGreenGTI
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2014 Black GTI Wolfsburg DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
looks pretty good to me. Did they do a base line dyno of the OTS stage 2 tune? would be interested in what they were able to put up over their own OTS tune.
I second this
MeanGreenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Inb4naysayers

If this is not proof of the Cobb's advantages I don't know what is. Those are great numbers to make on a Mustang. Did you have the numbers for the Cobb OTS tune to compare?

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
TRBO FRK
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
This is pretty impressive. I have ran the access-port in my Subaru's since they came out back in the early 2000's and they always have done a great job.
TRBO FRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Fleron230
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Audi
Wow, that is impressive. Awesome.
Fleron230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Here is their OTS stg 2

[IMG]graph by Walkert., on Flickr[/IMG]
MK6 VW Driver's Group @ Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" catless DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita , Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R suspension, H&R adjustable rear sway 24mm, R8 coils,
WalkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
luvdagators
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 13 CW Autobahn GTI (o\!/o)
wow, much impressed
luvdagators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
so the OTS stage 2 tune made more than OTS unitronic stage 2 tune. So the main thing the pro-tune did was add about 30ftlbs to the wheel and drive-ability as you have attested to it being super smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
toxicfusion
Banned

Drives: 2013 GLI Autobahn
I'm impressed

Numbers seem spot on.

My Unitronics stage2 (similar mods). put down 260hp and 290tq on a Dynojet.
toxicfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
JS12
Oval Newbie

This is a great review, thanks! I'll likely go the same route once I get to Stage 2 considering I work 5 minutes from that same COBB location.
JS12 is offline   Reply With Quote