GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Post Integrated Engineering IE Cold Air Intake Review - CCTA

My review
Product: Integrated Engineering IE Cold Air Intake Review - CCTA
Price: $349.99
Part number: IEINCC2

Reason:
I had to change my intake setup because the intake brand X that I was running had an integrated MAF housing and my short term fuel trims (STFT) and long term fuel trims (LTFT) were all over the place. I also wanted something with a better design filter.

Includes:
• One high-flow bellmouth
• One IE large Air filter
• One IE heat shield
• One stg 2 MAF-Turbo piping
• One silicone adapter from the bellmouth to MAF housing
• Installation hardware

Install:
The install is easy. Simple tools, and like most, I have been through several intakes. Make sure you take the time to get everything seated and lined up. The Heat Shield slides over the factory two OEM intake box mounts and the intake tube uses the OEM mount on the turbo heat shield. Unlike most CAI that use that one screw, this one is rock solid. My previous intake had enough movement that it was rubbing on the top of the brake master cylinder. It also just had a filter stuck on the end of a tube.

Driving:
I am an aerospace guy, so engineering and fluid dynamics is important. IE has taken the time to design a 5” Bellmouth velocity stack into the heat shield for the filter to slide onto. If you are interested in reading about it IE has a blog on their website about some of the engineering behind the use of a bellmouth. Also this intake utilizes a heat shield that seals with the underside of your hood. This has two benefits, one - cold air from the front bumper flows into it and two - it acts as an echo chamber for all your turbo whoooosh and cho cho cho noises! I mean this is way louder than my last intake, because my previous intake just had an open filter and a scoop that directed air onto the filter. The heat shield makes a little sound box for all the noises that reverberated out of your turbo! It is actually louder than that limited time I ran a DV spacer (yeah I know a DV spacer is like riding a moped).

I have reset my LTFT and have done some data logging to see how this intake fairs compared to my last one. It uses the stock MAF housing and that shows, because it is spot on. The STFT is < 1 % and LTFT is .06 %. These cars are just too picky to try running an intake that has a MAF housing integrated into the aluminum intake tube. On my old intake I had to buy a treadstone MAF straightener just to get my STFT and LTFT in a somewhat decent shape.

We all know CAIs don’t make big power numbers but that is not what is important. They play a huge role in your over all performance. We all pour our hard earned money into all of our mods and they need to have a well-designed intake or you are wasting your money. A shitty intake that puts turbulent air across your MAF and slows down your air flows, is screwing up your whole system.

This design and flow has really helped wake up my engine for sure. It is designed to get 100% of all your mods. Plus it sounds so cool

Onto the pics!!

MK6 VW Driver's Group@Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita, Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R suspension, H&R adjustable rear sway 24mm, R8 coils

Last edited by WalkerT; 10-19-2017 at 12:00 PM.
WalkerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
Blakcard
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Your .... engine...bay.....

Dude!! It's just... sooo clean?!?!?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

lol Yeah I am a freak about cleaning my car
MK6 VW Driver's Group@Facebook 2012 GTI DSG Unitronics stg2, Billy boat 3" DP, IE intake, CTS 3" catback, D088 Intercooler, BFI stg1 engine mounts, O.Z. 18x8 Alleggerita, Charge pipe, up pipe, NS vent boost gauge, BFI DSG shifter, H&R suspension, H&R adjustable rear sway 24mm, R8 coils
Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

My LTFT and STFT are still in great shape 200 miles on the clock!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Is the silicone pipe a new edition to that kit? I don't recall seeing it before
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

That I don't know but it is a good piece to me. Hard to make an aluminium tube go from 5" to 3".
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
Nice review. I also want this intake but don't know how well it plays with the APR stage 2 tune. Seems like the best engineered intake available.
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #8
Jarred767
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 White GTI 4DR 6MT
Thanks for the review, and I love the clean engine bay too!! I’ll be in the market for a CAI in the near future, and this looks like a great option.

Do you know if it’s compatible with a CBFA engine?
Jarred767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 AM   #9
mistaleungg
Ready to race!

Drives: GTI MK6
One silly question, does the sticker on the las pic come with the CAI?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #10
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
How is your engine bay so clean in Dallas. All this construction causing dust makes it almost impossible to keep mine clean!

Great pictures, the IE intake is defiantly loud, whenever i have someone in my car they think i have a blow off valve.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Ik1015
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: mk5 ug
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaleungg View Post
One silly question, does the sticker on the las pic come with the CAI?
Yes, IE changed their logo and visit website.
Ik1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
My engine bay has sandy dust all over it. One of the perks of living about a mile from the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
WalkerT
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred767 View Post
Thanks for the review, and I love the clean engine bay too!! Iíll be in the market for a CAI in the near future, and this looks like a great option.

Do you know if itís compatible with a CBFA engine?
Yes they are compatible with the CBFA. You just have to select it when you purchase. You will get the SAI along with the above intake.

Thanks for the compliments on the engine bay

Tags
cai, intake, integrated engineering, spacer, turbo