GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #15
senseless1707
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Welcome to the CW club!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 PM   #16
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
I'm very surprised you haven't put on a downpipe and gone stage 2 yet. You wouldn't need much more money to go stage 2. You can sometimes find used downpipes for sale at a good price, or you can pick up a new one. And once you do, the stage 2 file from APR should only be about $150.

Have you thought about water/meth injection? After stage 2 (and since you already will have the CBE, intercooler, intake, downpipe), you'll be ready to put down some good power with meth injection.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the build.

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #17
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
Clutch is starting to slip. In 3rd gear during some pulls it'll rev 500 RPM before dropping and fully engaging. So I contacted my local shop to get some work done. I should be getting a few things. Clutch kit, FMIC install, DP, Stage 2, launch control, engine mounts, and pendulum mount. Once that is done I'll look into installing a boost gauge myself, since I should be ok to do that in my parking garage without trouble.
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #18
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by senseless1707 View Post
Welcome to the CW club!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
I'm very surprised you haven't put on a downpipe and gone stage 2 yet. You wouldn't need much more money to go stage 2. You can sometimes find used downpipes for sale at a good price, or you can pick up a new one. And once you do, the stage 2 file from APR should only be about $150.

Have you thought about water/meth injection? After stage 2 (and since you already will have the CBE, intercooler, intake, downpipe), you'll be ready to put down some good power with meth injection.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of the build.
Yeah I'm not sure why I haven't either lol. My brother has it on his MKV and it's definitely faster than mine. He only has a downpipe though, and is also tuned through Unitronic.

I actually didn't even think about getting a used downpipe. But I think I'll stick to new since I read getting an APR downpipe allows you to get the tune from Stage 1 to Stage 2 for free. I made sure to ask if this is still the case at my local shop, and if it'll mate up to the AWE catback fine. If not I'll either get the AWE DP or look around for something used. Maybe buy a catless and just have a cat welded in before it goes onto the car.

I still need to look into water/meth. All I would have to do is get a new TOP pipe with the port, and then the system right? I'll go research that later tonight. For whatever reason water/meth slips my mind every time I go to look at upgrades.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
Thank you

Yeah I'm not sure why I haven't either lol. My brother has it on his MKV and it's definitely faster than mine. He only has a downpipe though, and is also tuned through Unitronic.

I actually didn't even think about getting a used downpipe. But I think I'll stick to new since I read getting an APR downpipe allows you to get the tune from Stage 1 to Stage 2 for free. I made sure to ask if this is still the case at my local shop, and if it'll mate up to the AWE catback fine. If not I'll either get the AWE DP or look around for something used. Maybe buy a catless and just have a cat welded in before it goes onto the car.

I still need to look into water/meth. All I would have to do is get a new TOP pipe with the port, and then the system right? I'll go research that later tonight. For whatever reason water/meth slips my mind every time I go to look at upgrades.
AWE makes a good downpipe, but to be honest, they are all going to be about the same when it comes to power. I got mine used and haven't had any problems with it. I also coated mine with ceramic paint and then wrapped it in DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. I also added a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. DPs come up for sale every once and a while.

As for meth, I'm not super knowledgeable since I don't have that kit yet. I've just done some reading. But really, there are a lot of different things you can do with it depending on your goals.

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #20
thewalkingdad

Here you go.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106394

Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #21
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
AWE makes a good downpipe, but to be honest, they are all going to be about the same when it comes to power. I got mine used and haven't had any problems with it. I also coated mine with ceramic paint and then wrapped it in DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. I also added a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. DPs come up for sale every once and a while.

As for meth, I'm not super knowledgeable since I don't have that kit yet. I've just done some reading. But really, there are a lot of different things you can do with it depending on your goals.
Yeah it seems the only time the AWE might have issues is with something like an actual big turbo upgrade. If I stick to K04 in the future it should be no issue.

It seems so. Water/meth will be a good addition for sure, but I will want to do more research. I know for sure I want the new DP, tune, mounts, FMIC, and probably the TOP. I forgot to inquire about that, but my tuner lists as having it in stock so I might as well have that put on. Especially while they're in there doing all of the work in the area.

Quote:
Not a bad deal. It does say local pickup, but I may contact once I hear back from my tuner on the whole APR downpipe + free tune upgrade.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

I'm ready to get the New South boost gauge kit too. But I had to send an email to see which kit I need haha. I'm sure it's not the TFSI fitting, but the Multitap is about $50 more and I'd rather know for sure before I spend extra money for no reason.

I also hope this doesn't melt. In my Volvo S60 I bought a dual vent mount for my boost gauge and wideband, both ended up melting in the winter and became useless. I haven't found anyone with this issue yet, and Washington doesn't seem to get that cold. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 09-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #23
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

So I have the boost gauge ordered and will be installing that one of these weekends. The bigger news is that I have a scheduled date to have a bunch of new parts installed.

Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch Kit
034Motorsport Street Density Engine Mounts
APR Pendulum Mount
APR Downpipe
Stage 2 Tune
034Motorsport Subframe Locking Collar Kit
TyrolSport Master Bracket
FMIC Install
AWE TOP
Neuspeed Hi-Flo Air Charge Pipe
WaveTrac LSD
All supporting fluids/seals

Whew. This is going to be a nip in the butt, but I am extremely excited! The work is being done next week and I should have the car back before that weekend. Then I can spend time breaking in the clutch, which I will ask for his recommendation on. But I imagine a good 500 miles of moderate city driving and minimal highway driving is best?
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #24
thewalkingdad

Quote:
So I have the boost gauge ordered and will be installing that one of these weekends. The bigger news is that I have a scheduled date to have a bunch of new parts installed.

Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch Kit
034Motorsport Street Density Engine Mounts
APR Pendulum Mount
APR Downpipe
Stage 2 Tune
034Motorsport Subframe Locking Collar Kit
TyrolSport Master Bracket
FMIC Install
AWE TOP
Neuspeed Hi-Flo Air Charge Pipe
WaveTrac LSD
All supporting fluids/seals

Whew. This is going to be a nip in the butt, but I am extremely excited! The work is being done next week and I should have the car back before that weekend. Then I can spend time breaking in the clutch, which I will ask for his recommendation on. But I imagine a good 500 miles of moderate city driving and minimal highway driving is best?
That's an insane amount of work! I'm jealous. That's going to be a whole new car when it's all done.

Are you going to dyno it? Are you planning on stainless steel brake lines to help you control all that power? They are generally pretty cheap compared to most mods. I don't remember, have you added an RSB?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #25
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
That's an insane amount of work! I'm jealous. That's going to be a whole new car when it's all done.

Are you going to dyno it? Are you planning on stainless steel brake lines to help you control all that power? They are generally pretty cheap compared to most mods. I don't remember, have you added an RSB?
I'm hoping I feel some difference after this I wasn't going to do so much at once, but doing more now saves on labor. Especially between the clutch and LSD. Labor for everything here is going to be roughly $1,800.

I haven't upgraded any sways yet. I'm looking into braces and sways for my next installment. I was thinking about doing the SS brake lines when I need new pads and/or rotors. So chances are I'll do all of those in the next "swing" of purchases. I'll more than likely do suspension too, but I really don't want my car lowered. So I have to figure out what route I want to go. I have lots of research to do regarding suspension/sways/braces.

I would really like to dyno it, yes. I should ask and see if they have a dyno in house, though I wouldn't want to do it after a fresh clutch install. So maybe in October I'll try to do some dyno runs. I also plan to do at least one test and tune drag day once the clutch can handle launches. I also spoke to the tuner about getting launch control, but it wasn't in the invoice. But since that'll be during the Stage 2 reflash I'm sure he can add that in last minute. I only want it for the drag strip so I can have some boost off of the launch. Otherwise it's no big deal right now, it's still a FWD car.

When I do a dyno or drag run I'll post up HP/TQ numbers and slip times. I am going to be running on the 91 octane file though. All I have found is 92 gas around me, so the small difference in power isn't going to be worth it if I can't find a station that has 93. I also don't want to put in octane booster and guess as to whether or not my math is correct everytime.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #26
thewalkingdad

Quote:
I'm hoping I feel some difference after this I wasn't going to do so much at once, but doing more now saves on labor. Especially between the clutch and LSD. Labor for everything here is going to be roughly $1,800.

I haven't upgraded any sways yet. I'm looking into braces and sways for my next installment. I was thinking about doing the SS brake lines when I need new pads and/or rotors. So chances are I'll do all of those in the next "swing" of purchases. I'll more than likely do suspension too, but I really don't want my car lowered. So I have to figure out what route I want to go. I have lots of research to do regarding suspension/sways/braces.

I would really like to dyno it, yes. I should ask and see if they have a dyno in house, though I wouldn't want to do it after a fresh clutch install. So maybe in October I'll try to do some dyno runs. I also plan to do at least one test and tune drag day once the clutch can handle launches. I also spoke to the tuner about getting launch control, but it wasn't in the invoice. But since that'll be during the Stage 2 reflash I'm sure he can add that in last minute. I only want it for the drag strip so I can have some boost off of the launch. Otherwise it's no big deal right now, it's still a FWD car.

When I do a dyno or drag run I'll post up HP/TQ numbers and slip times. I am going to be running on the 91 octane file though. All I have found is 92 gas around me, so the small difference in power isn't going to be worth it if I can't find a station that has 93. I also don't want to put in octane booster and guess as to whether or not my math is correct everytime.
I stick to 91 octane. 93 is very difficult to find in California. And I agree, I don't want to add octane booster. It's not worth the extra HP in my opinion.

Here's my personally philosophy. The car's brakes and suspension are built to handle a certain amount of power. So I don't like to increase too much power without improving the stopping power and suspension capabilities. I try to maintain that balance as I upgrade. I think it helps keep me safer :P

When you look for suspension upgrades, I put the priority order of, RSB, XB, coilovers, and then UB. If you do them all at once it doesn't matter. I can't afford to do them at the same time, so that is the order of how I will be upgrading it.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #27
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
I stick to 91 octane. 93 is very difficult to find in California. And I agree, I don't want to add octane booster. It's not worth the extra HP in my opinion.

Here's my personally philosophy. The car's brakes and suspension are built to handle a certain amount of power. So I don't like to increase too much power without improving the stopping power and suspension capabilities. I try to maintain that balance as I upgrade. I think it helps keep me safer :P

When you look for suspension upgrades, I put the priority order of, RSB, XB, coilovers, and then UB. If you do them all at once it doesn't matter. I can't afford to do them at the same time, so that is the order of how I will be upgrading it.
Totally agree. Besides, there is always a want for more power. Risking octane booster for a few HP wouldn't satisfy me more than my worries for potential issues or errors on my part. So I run 92 on a 91 file.

I agree on the brakes. I'll likely do them before track days. In general I don't drive erroneously around traffic or high risk areas. So that'll help somewhat. Plus the "brake booster" might make enough of a difference for the time being.

Yeah that seems logical to me. Do you know if there are coils that don't lower the car? I haven't found any yet in my small time searching through the options.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #28
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Totally agree. Besides, there is always a want for more power. Risking octane booster for a few HP wouldn't satisfy me more than my worries for potential issues or errors on my part. So I run 92 on a 91 file.

I agree on the brakes. I'll likely do them before track days. In general I don't drive erroneously around traffic or high risk areas. So that'll help somewhat. Plus the "brake booster" might make enough of a difference for the time being.

Yeah that seems logical to me. Do you know if there are coils that don't lower the car? I haven't found any yet in my small time searching through the options.
I think most coils will lower the car, but many are adjustable. You can get a pretty mild drop if you want to adjust it that way. Admittedly, suspension isn't my strong suite though.