GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #57
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
I'm anxious to hear back on if the gap fixed your code.
I should know this weekend, especially thanks to wideopentuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
Definitely try and close the gap a touch and see. We haven't ran into issues at Stage 2 utilizing the stock gap but maybe yours is extra healthy

I'll be around all weekend doing water/meth on another MK6 if you want to go out and do some datalogging.
Alright I can do that. With all of the supporting mods it could be extra healthy haha. Not a bad thing to have.

Yeah I'd like to stop by, that would be great. I'll be good for anytime, I'll hit you up sometime tomorrow on when is best.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #58
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Gapped to 0.026" and still have the code come back. So we will see what the logs say this weekend. Those will also be new to me, never logged a car before.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #59
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

No logging this weekend due to me being sick, I don't want to spread it

In other news I have my sub installed. The wires need to be a little bit relocated to clean things up, but otherwise this thing is great for an 8" sub. It isn't muddy, hits low notes well, and is quite musical. It blends in well with the stock system which is good, because I don't want to replace all of the door speakers and put another amp in.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 PM   #60
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

With the newest version of the Stage 2 tune from APR I have yet to throw my P302 CEL! I really hope it's gone for good, but if not I'll go back to trying to figure out the cause.

Anyway the power comes on noticeably stronger now and the car feels more alive. It's still incredibly fun to drive and I'm very excited for a drag day next year. I haven't had any chance to pull against any cars other than one other GTI with unknown mods. They might have been stock for all I know because they could not come close to keeping up. One thing is for sure, I'll be racing my brothers Stage 2 Unitronic GTI once he has his clutch in and we have a proper area to do some pulls (aka drag strip). The weather is rather wet lately so putting power down in 1st or 2nd can be difficult. Even 3rd gear breaks the tires loose in the rain, but I'm not too surprised there.

This LSD in the rain does wonders. The bigger issue in corners now is both tires letting loose, not just a single wheel. So come summer time I'll look into some fresh summer tires and see what changes that brings.

Last is the APR catch can. I drained it the other day and there was a good pool that came out from it (into oil drain pan). Next time I'll have to try a cup or something because I swear 250 mL came out of it. I don't know how much it holds, but I'll be emptying it a little more often to be on the safe side. It really seemed like it was a mixture of oil and water that came out of it too.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:00 PM   #61
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

All is good with the car lately. Nothing new added, though I have been eyeing some weighted shift knobs. I also wouldn't mind a little more aggressive exhaust on acceleration, but I don't think I'm going to touch anything. I don't want to do straight pipe because this is my daily driver and I don't really want to add drone. Plus cold starts in a parking garage doesn't seem like the best idea.

I did get a chance to do a 4th gear pull vs an '09 Mk5 with the same motor. We were dead even so far as we could tell. The Mk5 is Unitronic tuned, intake, catless DP, and 93 octane vs my car on 91 octane and APR tune. I have less intake restrictions, he has less exhaust restrictions. Seems decently fair as far as setups go. I'd really like to get some lower gear pulls too and see how they compare.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #62
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

My front drivers side speaker has been awful for a few weeks now. It just rattles and distorts, it sounds terrible. I've been listening on the rear channels only and I really wish I could put in new speakers. But that will have to wait until I can work on my own car.

For now I'm looking around trying to find a shop that stocks Pilot Super Sport tires, but nobody has them. I'm guessing I'll need to order them and bring them to the shop.

Getting an oil change here soon too. Again, I wish I could do this myself but I can't work on my car where I live currently (apartment).
Old 03-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #63
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Got my new Pilot Super Sports on. So far it's super slippery as the rain is pouring and they're completely fresh. I'll give them 100 or so miles before I really evaluate the difference between them and the Pilot AS3 I had on previously.

The downside is my car didn't come with the tool to remove the locking bolts, so the tire shop had to break them off. Before they did I asked if they would replace them at my expense, they said yes. They didn't. So I drove home with 4/5 bolts per wheel and missing caps on a few of the other bolts. Kind of disappointing.

The shop also asked if I had locking bolts prior to all of this (the day of my appointment). I said not to my knowledge. They said if so they wanted me to look for them. That's fine. Instead they tore through my car and left it a mess trying to find it before telling me they needed to break them off, or I had to go buy the tool and come back to get the tires on.

Hopefully this pays off in the end since the reviews on these tires are pretty much great. This will be the last time I use their services though.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #64
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

New fuel filter in as well as new wheel bolts all around. The VW shop said my valve cover is leaking slightly, that I'm slightly out of alignment, and that a rear seal is leaking.

I don't notice any pull while driving, so I'm not sure where they noticed that the alignment is off. But with new tires I might as well get the thing aligned.

The rear seal, if they're talking about the crank seal, is new so that should be good. Could just be residual oil? Not too sure. They didn't elaborate so I can't really figure out much more unless I take it back in and ask them to specifically look at it.

Valve cover leak I'm not too sure about. I'll research that a little bit and see what I can find.

Anyway I have about 150 miles on the new tires and can start pushing the car since I have all the required lug bolts. So far I don't notice any difference in corners or braking. On acceleration it seems to hold a little bit better, but it doesn't seem like a night and day difference. However it is only 50 degrees out right now. I'll keep driving and give them more time.

Edit: Also saw a note that my exhaust was off the hangers. I haven't heard any rattling and it's only been on for less than 8k miles, so that's got me curious. I'll try to take a peak under my car even though I have no ramps.

Last edited by gtimk6spd; 03-16-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #65
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Here is the exhaust off the hangers

As for the alignment I've been reading more into it. With the 034 subframe kit everything should be pretty good, this is also what I was told when it was installed at my local shop. So unless the toe is out I think there isn't much that will be wrong/easily fixed. Plus nobody noted any uneven wear on my old AS3 tires.

On the note of tires I am actually becoming quite impressed with the new Super Sports. The weather touched near 60 degrees and I was driving around some more. I could really stick the car into corners at low and "high" speeds with much better grip. I'm pretty sure the suspension is becoming the limiting factor now. Before I touch that I'll be looking into getting braces. Probably from Unibrace.

The valve cover leak I'll clean up and see if I can pinpoint where it's coming from. I've read a bit about the cam position sensor being where it leaks and if that's the case it's a cheap part.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #66
feedingthesickness
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 CW Golf R
nice build!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #67
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedingthesickness View Post
nice build!
Thank you very much! Sorry for the late response.

No new updates. Still holding off on any new purchases.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #68
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Current shot of my car.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #69
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Looks good. Just needs some wheels now!

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #70
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
Looks good. Just needs some wheels now!
Thanks! I would have to find some that I like the look of. I haven't browsed much yet, but I also haven't witnessed any on the street I'm fond of. I like the OEM look but know they are some heavy rims.