GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zombie Build - 2013 GTI DSG

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Bought my carbon grey Driver's edition GTI (used) last month from Fremont BMW (CA). It was high miles (66K) at the time and a little overpriced (IMHO), but sometimes you pay extra for the car you want.

When I bought the GTI, I sold (private sale) my 2002 Infiniti G20 Sport (SR20DE). It was tough to leave the SR20 world, but it was time. All of that being said, I'm completely new to EUDM, VW, and boost, so I'm learning a lot as I go.

Before I get to the GTI, here is my old JDM love baby.

Here is the car the day I bought it:

Goal: Not entirely sure at this point, just want to keep building. I don't think I'll go BT or track star, but I do enjoy spirited canyon drives.

Now that I'm Stage 2, I'll switch my focus to suspension, then brakes, then ascetics before I look to make more power. That's generally my cycle of how I upgrade my cars.

Current Mods

Engine/Power:
Cobb Accessport v3 Stage 2 [2 Aug 16] - Link
Freektune e-tune [2 Aug 16]
GFB DV+ [May 16]
R8 Coils [Jul 16] - Link
NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs (gapped at 0.24") [Jul 16] - Link
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake with ECS SAI breather filter kit [Jul 16] - Link
SPM 3" 200-cell catted downpipe, VHT ceramic coated, wrapped with DEI Titanium header wrap, 3" Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator, RAI J O2 spacer (post-cat, medium jet, front-facing) [Jul 16] - Link
AWE S3 turbo outlet Pipe [27 May 17] Link
Rev9 v2 intercooler [27 May 17] Link
USP Aluminum DSG filter housing (with cooling fins) [27 May 17] Link
Fumoto drain valve [27 May 17] Link
Carbon cleaning [27 May 17] Link
034 Stage 2 DSG tune [29 Jul 17]

Suspension/Chassis:
034 Motorsports dogbone insert [23 Jul 16] - Link
034 Motorsports Rear Sway Bar (softest setting) [11 Oct 16] - Link
034 Motorsports Pendulum Mount [15 Oct 16] - Link
Ultra Racing middle lower under brace [11 Mar 17] - Link
KW ST coilovers [27 May 17] Link
034 Track Density strut mounts [27 May 17] Link
034 Street Density motor mount [27 May 17] Link
034 Street Density transmission mount [27 May 17] Link
Fender Screw Mod [27 May 17] Link

Brakes:
USP stainless steel braided bake lines [27 May 17] Link
Front brake dust shields removed [27 May 17] Link

Wheels/Tires:
Stock Lagunas

Interior:
Rupse "GTI" seat handle insert [Apr 16]
Broadway 270mm rear view mirror [Apr 16] - Link
Hardwood floor trunk [24 Sep 16] - Link
Aluminum paddle shifters [Oct 16] - Link
Klii Motorwerks plaid steering wheel inlay [29 Oct 16] - Link
deAutoKey interior LED kit [11 Mar 17] - Link

Exterior:
Matte black w/red accent front VW emblem [Apr 16]
Matte black rear VW emblem [Apr 16]
Plasti-dip "GTI" emblems red [Apr 16]
"Objects in the mirror are losing" side mirror decal [Apr 16] - Link
Integrated Engineering rear badge [Aug 16] - Link
Smoked side-markers [24 Sep 16] - Link
Klii Motorwerks plaid rear emblem inlay [29 Oct 16] - Link
deAutoKey license plate LED kit [11 Mar 17] - Link

Sound/Stereo:
Soundaktor delete [Jul 16] - Link

VCDS Mods
XDS set to 1 Link
Torque Steering Compensation set 1 Link
Fog lights independent of hi-beams Link
Comfort turn signal set to 4 Link

Last edited:

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Season 1 Plan

Engine/Power/Transmission:
Intake burrito wrap
Treadstone Intake airflow straightener

Suspension/Chassis:
No plans right now

Brakes:
Some better rotors and pads when the current ones need replacing

Wheels/Tires:
034 Wheel spacers (8mm front, 12 mm rear)
I like my Lagunas for daily driving, but I want some lightweight wheels for spirited drives. Probably something cheap and lightweight like these http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gar...ASA&wheelModel=GT10&wheelFinish=Black+Painted
New tires to go with the lightweight wheels, unsure what kind

Interior:
USB port

Exterior:
Tailpipes or maybe a Neuspeed CBE

Sound:
No plans right now

All of these mods should keep me busy for the next year or so...

Last edited:

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Season 2 Plan

Engine/Power:
BSH Integrated Throttle Body Pipe
PTP turbo blanket

Suspension/Chassis:
Unibrace XB

Brakes:
No plans right now

Wheels/Tires:
No plans right now

Interior:
Boost gauge

Exterior:
Dark Cherry tails
deAutoKey exterior lights
Bumper protector

Sound:
No plans right now

Season 3 Plan

Engine/Power:
Snow Performance stage 2 w/m (that's a big maybe..., but I'm thinking 175 post IC and ~175 post TB)
INA or BSH Throttle body spacer
Fluidampr Engine Damper

Suspension/Chassis:
Sway bar end links

Brakes:
No plans right now

Wheels/Tires:
No plans right now

Interior:
No plans right now

Exterior:
HID fogs

Sound:
No plans right now

Mods Worth Further Exploring

Catch can
K04/F23T

I highly doubt I will accomplish all (or maybe even most) of these mods, but this is generally the direction I'd like to go.

Last edited:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Pictures! We need pictures man!

Also, and ideas on what you want to do with the car? Weekend track/autocross toy? Slammed show queen?

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Pictures! We need pictures man!

Also, and ideas on what you want to do with the car? Weekend track/autocross toy? Slammed show queen?

Yeah sorry for the such a lame intro post. I had to run back to work so couldn't even finish the initial post.

I've updated it now so there is at least some info and a few pics.

Bottom line, I want at least Stage 2 so I can have fun daily driving with a few track days scattered in between.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yeah sorry for the such a lame intro post. I had to run back to work so couldn't even finish the initial post.

I've updated it now so there is at least some info and a few pics.

Bottom line, I want at least Stage 2 so I can have fun daily driving with a few track days scattered in between.
Very nice! Just a heads up on a few things

1) Stage 2 will eat your clutch, maybe not immediately, but you will eventually get slip, so budget for a clutch replacement

2) if you plan on tracking the car, even with stock power, have some more aggressive brake pads, and definitley swap the fluid

3) have your timing chain tensioner checked to make sure it's not the first rev. They tend to fail and take the motor with them. You SHOULD BE good woth a 2013, but it's worth the peace of mind. There is a youtube video showing how to check by the Humble Mechanic

Other than that, looks like a solid list! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but if you start a thread without using the search feature first, be prepared to get flamed, haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
1) Stage 2 will eat your clutch, maybe not immediately, but you will eventually get slip, so budget for a clutch replacement

Does that include DSG? I had thought that was primarily with MT guys.

2) if you plan on tracking the car, even with stock power, have some more aggressive brake pads, and definitley swap the fluid

Any recommendations? I've always been partial to EBC Green Stuff pads and Motol fluid.

3) have your timing chain tensioner checked to make sure it's not the first rev. They tend to fail and take the motor with them. You SHOULD BE good woth a 2013, but it's worth the peace of mind. There is a youtube video showing how to check by the Humble Mechanic

It *should* be good. But considering I'm at 67K miles now, I plan on getting that checked out sooner rather than later. Last thing I need is heart surgery on a *new* car.

Other than that, looks like a solid list! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but if you start a thread without using the search feature first, be prepared to get flamed, haha.

Haha, thanks man.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!

Does that include DSG? I had thought that was primarily with MT guys.

Any recommendations? I've always been partial to EBC Green Stuff pads and Motol fluid.

It *should* be good. But considering I'm at 67K miles now, I plan on getting that checked out sooner rather than later. Last thing I need is heart surgery on a *new* car.

Haha, thanks man.
Ah, I missed that you had a dsg, you should be fine I think. I have the 6mt, so that's been holding me up in terms of car mods as I peice my clutch kit together.

As for brakes, I am a fan of Hawk pads (I run hp+ front, hps rear) and Motul RBF600 fluid. I've heard good and bad things about greenstuff pads, but it really will end up depending on how demanding the track/your driving style is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Got the attend the 034 Motorsports Summerfest today with a few local members.

I knew going in I would end up buying the dogbone insert, but didn't expect myself to walk out with a few other goodies. Can't wait to put all of it on.

Thanks 034 for a good time, great prices, and free food.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Just put in my 034 dogbone insert and drove it for about 20 miles. And so far I like it.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Your DSG will be fine at stage 2. I didn't get my DSG tuned till I upgraded my turbo. I'm still on stock internals at the moment but I'm going to try to upgrade clutches and swap to an LSD next year.

Welcome to the VW family and as stated don't be afraid to ask questions we were all new once and sometimes the search function sucks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
Your DSG will be fine at stage 2. I didn't get my DSG tuned till I upgraded my turbo. I'm still on stock internals at the moment but I'm going to try to upgrade clutches and swap to an LSD next year.

Welcome to the VW family and as stated don't be afraid to ask questions we were all new once and sometimes the search function sucks :)

Thanks man.

Did you go with the APR DSG tune? I've looked into the APR TCU tune, but can't even come close to justifying that much money for it. Maybe if it was around $200 I could, but not $500+.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man.

Did you go with the APR DSG tune? I've looked into the APR TCU tune, but can't even come close to justifying that much money for it. Maybe if it was around $200 I could, but not $500+.

I'm actually using the Eurodyne Maestro suite for my TCU & ECU tuning needs. I was originally an APR customer for ECU stage 1 & 2 but switched to Eurodyne when I bought my F23. I highly recommend it as its a 1 time purchase that fits you no matter what turbo you run and what level of performance you're after. TuneMaestro.com has done all my custom tuning and I've been more than happy with the results. Cobb may also be a good choice for spending less money on more tuning options but I've not priced it out prevent really reviewed the product.

thewalkingdad

Ready to race!
I'm actually using the Eurodyne Maestro suite for my TCU & ECU tuning needs. I was originally an APR customer for ECU stage 1 & 2 but switched to Eurodyne when I bought my F23. I highly recommend it as its a 1 time purchase that fits you no matter what turbo you run and what level of performance you're after. TuneMaestro.com has done all my custom tuning and I've been more than happy with the results. Cobb may also be a good choice for spending less money on more tuning options but I've not priced it out prevent really reviewed the product.

I was under the impression that only APR had TCU tunes. I may have to check them out. I'm pretty sold on APR for my ECU tune as I don't believe I'll be going above stage 2 with full bolt-ons. It's good to know that there are other DSG folks who have gone above stage 2. If I decide stage 2 isn't good enough, I'll have to hit you up.

I looked on their site, but couldn't find anything specific regarding DSG TCU tunes. Can you tell me more about it?