GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #15
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejsmith1985 View Post
I'm actually using the Eurodyne Maestro suite for my TCU & ECU tuning needs. I was originally an APR customer for ECU stage 1 & 2 but switched to Eurodyne when I bought my F23. I highly recommend it as its a 1 time purchase that fits you no matter what turbo you run and what level of performance you're after. TuneMaestro.com has done all my custom tuning and I've been more than happy with the results. Cobb may also be a good choice for spending less money on more tuning options but I've not priced it out prevent really reviewed the product.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was under the impression that only APR had TCU tunes. I may have to check them out. I'm pretty sold on APR for my ECU tune as I don't believe I'll be going above stage 2 with full bolt-ons. It's good to know that there are other DSG folks who have gone above stage 2. If I decide stage 2 isn't good enough, I'll have to hit you up.

I looked on their site, but couldn't find anything specific regarding DSG TCU tunes. Can you tell me more about it?
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 AM   #16
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
Wanted to show off the goodies.



Did the Soundaktor delete today. It was a pain to reach in there. I wasn't sure which tab thingy I was supposed to pull on. I used a long flat head screwdriver to pry it off. I didn't end up zip tying it anywhere. Took it on a test drive and didn't hear it rattling. Also was able to hear more engine/turbo noise and no more fake grumble. I'm very happy.

Replaced the spark plugs. Cleaned the AC system and replaced the cabin air filter. No more nasty smell when I turn on the AC.

Also, as you can see in the picture, I have my SPM downpipe now. It's used so it needed some attention before installation. I used some steel wool and a wire brush to clean and polish it up a bit. Then I used VHT exhaust paint and coated all of it (except the flex pipe). After curing it in my oven the best I can (my oven doesn't go up to 600*), I went about measuring and cutting the reducer pipe in order to make room for my Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. I didn't have any good method of cutting (no plasma cutter, sawzall, chain cutter, etc), so I resorted to a dremel. Not the straightest cuts, but they will work.

Tomorrow I plan on using the DEI Titanium exhaust wrap to wrap up the downpipe sections. After I wrap it, I'll likely assemble a few parts and test fit some things. Install will happen sometime this week/weekend.

My intake should be here on Thursday, so this weekend may be a good wrenching weekend for me.
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
As mentioned, I wrapped my downpipe and cat with the DEI Titanium wrap. I installed my Vibrant spacer (post cat, medium jet, front facing) and new exhaust hangar.

I'm ready to install. My intake comes in tomorrow, and I'd like to do both on the same day, so I may have to wait until Saturday when I can spend a full day taking my time wrenching.

After coating, but before wrapping:



After wrapping:



After assembling:

thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
As mentioned, I wrapped my downpipe and cat with the DEI Titanium wrap. I installed my Vibrant spacer (post cat, medium jet, front facing) and new exhaust hangar.

I'm ready to install. My intake comes in tomorrow, and I'd like to do both on the same day, so I may have to wait until Saturday when I can spend a full day taking my time wrenching.

After coating, but before wrapping:



After wrapping:



After assembling:

Looks good! How many feet of wrap did you end up using?
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:06 PM   #19
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Looks good! How many feet of wrap did you end up using?
I don't know how many feet I used, but I probably used about 60-70% of the wrap. But I wasted a little bit with a bad cut. You can also see that I was a little short on last pipe.
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
I finally got the Integrated Engineering intake and my SPM downpipe on the car. The intake job took me a good two hours of work whereas the downpipe took about four.

Post install, the intake is pretty loud (but I've also removed the hood heat insulation and the rubber weather stripping. I think it helps flow air out of the engine bay, but noises can be heard more too. I might end up putting the insulation pad back on the hood. I like the sounds, but they may not pass the "wife" test.

With the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator on my downpipe, it sounds stock from inside the cabin (which is what I wanted). Even at WOT, I can't hear any increase in exhaust noise. But I sure can still hear the turbo and intake.

Integrated Engineering also hooked me up with some cool swag, so I through an IE badge on the back of my car. I've worked with three different people at IE, and I have to say, their customer service is unrivaled! I've always heard they had quality products (which they do), but I'm a sold customer on IE now.





thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #21
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
For as long as I've had the car, I've gone back and forth between APR and Cobb for my tune. I was pretty committed to APR and had picked out the dealer I was going to use. And in the process of saving money, I started to dig more into the problems they've had with their 2.0+ tunes. This became an even bigger problem for me because it seems DSGs were hit the hardest. I've also been following the thread about how APR had a guy's ECU for a few weeks and refused to communicate and now the guy's ECU is fried and APR has left them out in the cold.

So all of this convinced me to go with Cobb. I bought my Cobb Accessport v3 from Justin at Freektune. As a benefit for buying the AP from him, he will throw in one free custom map. Also, if you buy an e-tune package when you buy the AP, he also only charges $100 for the e-tune package. So I bought the e-tune package as well.

The AP should have shipped or will ship soon. He's already emailed me a custom map to flash as soon as I get the AP.

I'm stoked to get the tuning process going and getting the tune dialed in.
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:37 AM   #22
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
I got my Cobb AP today and flashed my Freektune map. The process went super smooth and took about 10 minutes or so. I don't think I'll ever end up even trying the Cobb OTS tunes.

Per my instructions from Justin at Freektune, I drove around for 30+ miles. Tomorrow I'll do some data logging and send him the files to dial in the tune a bit more.

My initial impressions were, "Holy crap?" It pulls so much harder and is very effortless. I didn't push it too hard, but it was just so easy to do speed up. I love it and can't wait to dial it in even more and squeeze some more power out of it. In my first 30 miles, I haven't noticed any issues with the tune.
__________________

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #23
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
And the pics.



__________________

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #24
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver
 
damagi123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
I bought my Cobb Accessport v3 from Justin at Freektune. As a benefit for buying the AP from him, he will throw in one free custom map. Also, if you buy an e-tune package when you buy the AP, he also only charges $100 for the e-tune package. So I bought the e-tune package as well.

The AP should have shipped or will ship soon. He's already emailed me a custom map to flash as soon as I get the AP.

I'm stoked to get the tuning process going and getting the tune dialed in.
the freektune package is super awesome if youre gonna go the custom tune route. Im going to do the same if i end up keeping the car cause I want to go Frankenturbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
My initial impressions were, "Holy crap?" It pulls so much harder and is very effortless. I didn't push it too hard, but it was just so easy to do speed up. I love it and can't wait to dial it in even more and squeeze some more power out of it. In my first 30 miles, I haven't noticed any issues with the tune.
SICK dude
__________________
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #25
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
the freektune package is super awesome if youre gonna go the custom tune route. Im going to do the same if i end up keeping the car cause I want to go Frankenturbo.



SICK dude
I'm super pleased with Justin's work so far. And if I ever get to the point where I want to upgrade the actual turbo, it will be a Frankenturbo.



Thanks!
__________________

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #26
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion
 
gtimk6spd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Washington
Posts: 104
Looks like you have a solid build going! I really want to drive a DSG just to see what it's like. I'm a die hard manual fan, but it seems there are just as many fans of the DSG out there. Plus you don't need a clutch replacement after having a tune on a stock turbo!

I hope you do go Frankenturbo eventually. I'd love to see the transformation.

Are you happy with the switch from JDM to Euro? Or from N/A to boost?
__________________
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2 | APR DP | APR Cabonio Intake | APR Catch Can | APR Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC | ARM TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone | 034 Subframe | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #27
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
thewalkingdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
Looks like you have a solid build going! I really want to drive a DSG just to see what it's like. I'm a die hard manual fan, but it seems there are just as many fans of the DSG out there. Plus you don't need a clutch replacement after having a tune on a stock turbo!

I hope you do go Frankenturbo eventually. I'd love to see the transformation.

Are you happy with the switch from JDM to Euro? Or from N/A to boost?
Thanks man. I had to go DSG in order for my wife to approve the purchase. And there aren't too many boosted automatic transmission cars. My first choice was actually a Mazdaspeed 3, but that is manual only.

A Frankenturbo would be fun, but at this point it might be a stretch. If I got to the point where I was ready to get a bigger turbo, I think I'd probably just look to buy a Golf R or something.

As for the switch to EUDM, it's been good overall, but I can't say I like one over the other. I felt like JDM cars were much more simple and easy to work on. The GTI seems a little more finicky, but still fun. The switch to boost is awesome. No regrets!
__________________

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
mikejsmith1985
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2012 Candy White GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bethel, Ohio
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
Thanks man. I had to go DSG in order for my wife to approve the purchase. And there aren't too many boosted automatic transmission cars. My first choice was actually a Mazdaspeed 3, but that is manual only.



A Frankenturbo would be fun, but at this point it might be a stretch. If I got to the point where I was ready to get a bigger turbo, I think I'd probably just look to buy a Golf R or something.



As for the switch to EUDM, it's been good overall, but I can't say I like one over the other. I felt like JDM cars were much more simple and easy to work on. The GTI seems a little more finicky, but still fun. The switch to boost is awesome. No regrets!


I also bought my GTI due to the dependency on fun in an automatic transmission. The Frankenturbo is a great upgrade and more fun to drive than a stick Golf R IMO but I certainly get the idea of just buying what you want out of the box :-) I'm sure the FreekTuned IHI will keep you plenty happy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Keep trying until it starts shooting flames.
Need a custom vinyl decal or 3D printed item for your GTI? Send me a PM!
Need help with Eurodyne Tuning:
www.tunemaestro.com
mikejsmith1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.