GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 09-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #29
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejsmith1985 View Post
I also bought my GTI due to the dependency on fun in an automatic transmission. The Frankenturbo is a great upgrade and more fun to drive than a stick Golf R IMO but I certainly get the idea of just buying what you want out of the box :-) I'm sure the FreekTuned IHI will keep you plenty happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome. The franken might be a bit of a pipe dream for me. But we'll see. I've only had the car for a couple of months and plan on having it for many years. So who knows!

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #30
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
Thanks man. I had to go DSG in order for my wife to approve the purchase. And there aren't too many boosted automatic transmission cars. My first choice was actually a Mazdaspeed 3, but that is manual only.

A Frankenturbo would be fun, but at this point it might be a stretch. If I got to the point where I was ready to get a bigger turbo, I think I'd probably just look to buy a Golf R or something.

As for the switch to EUDM, it's been good overall, but I can't say I like one over the other. I felt like JDM cars were much more simple and easy to work on. The GTI seems a little more finicky, but still fun. The switch to boost is awesome. No regrets!
Ooh well I won't argue that any further haha. At least it's a good automatic transmission to go with. I heavily considered a Mazdaspeed 3 when looking at cars a few months ago. Along with a Miata or Mini Cooper.

Yeah I feel you. A K04/Frankenturbo still seems "logical" to me, a Stage 3 w/GTX on a FWD doesn't. I would most likely get a Golf R at that point too, or at least something with RWD.

I think it's good to appreciate multiple styles/markets of cars. I'm glad you are enjoying the boost though! It's hard to go back to N/A after it. I still like big V8 muscle cars, but at the end of the day I have more fun DDing a boosted car. That, or I haven't had the right V8 car lol.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2 | APR DP | APR Cabonio Intake | APR Catch Can | APR Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC | ARM TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone | 034 Subframe | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #31
thewalkingdad

Me and 20 of my best friends decided to go for a drive today.

PC: @henrykuang

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB

Last edited by thewalkingdad; 09-18-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #32
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

I don't see any pictures, hopefully you can fix that
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2 | APR DP | APR Cabonio Intake | APR Catch Can | APR Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC | ARM TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone | 034 Subframe | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #33
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
I don't see any pictures, hopefully you can fix that
Working now?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #34
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
Working now?
Sure is and that looks like quite the nice meet of GTI/R owners!
Old 09-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #35
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
Sure is and that looks like quite the nice meet of GTI/R owners!
Yeah it was a good group and a lot of fun.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #36
thewalkingdad

I've been having some troubles with misfires lately while under load. It was mainly in cylinders 1 and 2. So I swapped my coils around to see if it made a difference. I still had misfires. So tonight, I finally had time to pull my plugs out. They were gapped too much, so I brought them down to 0.24 and now no more misfires.

I also did some data logging of 3rd gear WOT pulls.

Here is one of the pulls.

http://www.datazap.me/u/thewalkingda...hg=4-12-1-2-18

Old 09-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #37
thewalkingdad

Forgot, here is my video from the Woodside Reverse Run drive we went on. Definitely better with sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6N7qcUyYkI

Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #38
thewalkingdad

I spent some time today working on the car and did two projects.

I tinted my side markers black. It doesn't completely match the CSG, but it's a lot better than paying $50 for the ECS smoked side markers.

In the light

In the dark

The second project, which isn't entirely done, is installing hardwood flooring in my trunk. Sorry for the bad garage lighting.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #39
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Looking good. I like the hardwood floor in the back too! Pretty unique.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #40
thewalkingdad

I paid a visit to 034 today. They installed my RSB. I also bought a pendulum mount and of course a t-shirt. Good guys there.

They gave me a tour of the shop and the machining area where they prototype their new products.

As for the RSB, I haven't had it on long enough to really test. But the car did feel better taking curved the off-ramp at a higher speed.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #41
thewalkingdad

I picked up a new mounting solution for my Cobb AP. I love the AP, but the mount that comes with it kinda sucks. It uses some double-stick tape to mount onto the car somewhere. It stayed in place for a while, but then began to fall down. Eventually it wouldn't even hold the weight of the AP anymore.

I picked this new mount up from Amazon for about $7. It just clamps onto the slat of the vent and uses a magnet to hold the AP in place. It came with two magnets so I used one on my phone too. The AP actually has a magnet inside of it already so you don't need to use the magnet that comes with this kit.

Overall I'm very pleased with it.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 PM   #42
thewalkingdad

When I bought my 034 RSB I also bought a new pendulum mount. I've seen too many threads and posts of people who have snapped their OEM mount on a launch and have wrecked other parts in their car. So I bought the upgraded mount mainly as a preventative maintenance/upgrade.

The install was very straight forward, nothing cosmic. There are instructions on the 034 site. I've heard some people say the install was difficult because when the stock mount is removed the tranny rotates, making it difficult to line up the holes to thread the new bolt through on the center bolt. I didn't really have that issue.

All said and done, the install took me about 30 minutes. I wish I would've used some Locktight. It's recommended, but probably not necessary. At some point, I may go back under and put on some Locktight when I buy some more.

As for impressions.... I don't really notice much difference. I wasn't expecting to notice much of a difference either though. My DSG shifts pretty smoothly already, so I wasn't expecting a drastic change there. The shifts do seem a bit smoother though. Thankfully, there is absolutely ZERO increase in NVH. Maybe even a slight decrease in NVH.

So in the end, I recommend the upgrade. Now I have piece of mind that I can launch my car without the OEM mount snapping and blowing up the rest of my front end. I can't recommend 034 high enough for their parts and customer service.