GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ground Control Coilover Conversion Kit

senna1

Ready to race!
It doesn't seem like this is a very popular option here, but I just placed an order for the GC Coilover Kit + Camber Plates.

I'm going down this route because I was looking for these specific criteria:

1) Stock or close to Stock Ride Height
2) Improved dampening
3) Easy of adjustability
4) Stiffer (but not too stiff) linear spring rates
5) Under $2k

Why these criteria?

I don't want to mess with the suspension geometry, and I really like the arguments TechEd makes, particularly in this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...DD-MKV-GTI-Looking-for-suspension-suggestions

I was initially only going to update the dampers, but decided to throw in springs as I don't want to double up on labor costs down the road. He later recommends the Phase 2 TrueChoice Koni solution, if you are looking to run stiffer springs. Upon calling TrueChoice, I noticed these solutions are very similar in theory to the Ground Control kits (koni sports + linear springs + height adjustability).

But I went with GC because, quite frankly, their prices were very reasonable, their customer service was really really good, and shipping would be less as they are only ~2.5 hours away from my home. I cannot stress how good their customer support is. Give them a call and talk to Trevor.

They set me up with their "Aggressive Street" package, which is 475 lb springs up front, 380 lb springs in the rear. I was initially concerned that the stiffer rates up front would lead to less rotation, but I trust their knowledge, which was also corroborated by this post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5509737-Suspension-spec-thread/page39 (Post #963)

Seems reasonable enough.

2/3) I also like the idea of adjustable dampers and camber settings. This is a dual purpose DD/Track day car, so I hope to put the adjustability to use. (Softer ride + -1 negative camber for DD. Then dial in more stiffness and camber for the track...) Looks like front shock and camber settings are relatively easy to adjust.

4) I like the idea of linear springs vs. progressive. A lot of other options I was considering either ran progressive rates ((Bilstein PSS), or had spring rates that were too soft (Eibach Multipro R1). Pass.

5) Under $2K because I want to keep as much money in my wallet as possible. The GC Coilover Kit + Camber Plates together are well under $2K.

They are assembling the package now and I can't wait until they arrive. They'll be installed on September 2nd, just in time for my first track day in a while on September 10th at Sonoma Raceway.

Updates to come.

Last edited:

Beej1

Ready to race!
Does the GC kit for our cars simply drop in on top of the strut perch?

I have a GC setup for my E30. They offer two versions for that car:
1. Drop-in kit that sits on the strut perches.
2. Weld-in kit where they cut off your factory perches and weld on a collar, and use a shorter strut insert.

I guess the second option is difficult since we don't have a strut "housing" to mid, but they really are an excellent setup. Their camber plates are very high quality also.
IMG_3144.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senna1

Ready to race!
I'm really surprised that more people don't go this route.

Lowering springs are the easiest route. And there are just a lot of "brand" name coilovers that will have consumers confident in their choice.

But maybe there is a rhyme or reason why people are not running this set up on their GTI's. In any case, I'm glad to be a guinea pig here and document the process along the way.

senna1

Ready to race!
Does the GC kit for our cars simply drop in on top of the strut perch?

I have a GC setup for my E30. They offer two versions for that car:
1. Drop-in kit that sits on the strut perches.
2. Weld-in kit where they cut off your factory perches and weld on a collar, and use a shorter strut insert.

I guess the second option is difficult since we don't have a strut "housing" to mid, but they really are an excellent setup. Their camber plates are very high quality also.
View attachment 53708

Ya - I'm guessing it's option number 1. I'm pretty sure there is no cutting or fabrication is going on.

Glad you've had good results with them. I seriously can't wait...

Beej1

Ready to race!
Nice - get us a review after you've driven on them a little bit!

senna1

Ready to race!
I am glad I have waited before writing a review.

I went through a period where I was getting a lot of "rattles" from the car. This bothered me a lot, but upon further investigation, I think it was simply coming from the spare tire spindle plastic nut coming lose.

After tightening it, I do not seem to be getting rattles.

Regarding the suspension itself - I am thoroughly enjoying it. It is noticeably firmer, but yet comfortable enough to be my daily driver. Handles flatter in corners and I can feel the suspension applying more grip to my tires at an even rate.

This is a big reason I went with the GC's. You control the drop. I did not want to go too low and wanted to stay as close to stock ride height as possible (ok - maybe a tiny drop). Furthermore, you can pare it with LINEAR spring rates which was a big selling point for me. I went with their "Aggressive" rate which works out just fine on the street, though my passengers do notice it is stiffer when going over speed bumps or more abrupt bumps in the road. However, in normal driving conditions - ride is fairly comfy and fine.

With the camber plates, I feel like the car is slightly more "on its toes" and eager to react. Perhaps it's just perception, but I feel like my tires feel "meatier" and I sense them tramlining as the car feels more of the contours of the road.

Regarding how they perform on the track - they felt great! Coupled with the NT01's and Carbotech brakes, I felt like the car was not hindered at all to go 10/10's all day long. Very confidence inspiring and the only thing slowing me down was myself as the driver. I qualified to advance from the HPDE2 to the HPDE3 group with this setup, and even while driving conservatively with instructor in tow, I set my fastest lap times at Sonoma Raceway.

Overall, I am enjoying them and plan on keeping them on unless the rattle returns and I find out it's not because of the spare tire. They help dial things up to allow me to enjoy my car just a little bit more every day, yet not too stiff that I think about swapping them out for a more civilian ride.

Regarding why I'm selling the tires and wheels and brakes - I am simply taking a break from track days, as I am saving up money to invest in a small side business, but it is not because I am dissatisfied with the suspension.

senna1

Ready to race!
No helper springs. Here's the specs on the "aggressive" rates:

Fronts: 475 lbs/in
5 1/2" length x 2 1/2 diameter

Rears: 380 lbs/in
8" x 2 1/2"