GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 08-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Corolla (soon to be a GTI)
Enlighten me: CPO 2013 GTI For $19,999 a good deal?

Hi everyone!

What do you think about this deal for a CPO 2013 GTI DSG for $19,999.

I live in Hawaii where there is very little supply so dealers charge near MSRP for a new one. I see that the KBB fair price is $19,800 which seems a little high. I'd love to hear your thoughts since I've never owned a VW but have been researching them quite a bit lately.

EDIT: Looks like someone purchased the car.

Last edited by GetTicketsInstantly; 09-02-2016 at 10:34 PM.
GetTicketsInstantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
dAT_Sloth
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4dr DSG
Yeah seems high. Negotiate, them down into the 18s

APR Stage 2 v2.1 / APR DSG v1.6 / BB 3" Catless DP / AWE 2.5" CB / GFB DV+ / Forge WINtake / ECS Poly Engine & Trans Mounts / Hawk HP+ & HPS/ ECS SS brake lines / Motul RBF 600 / ECS Geomet d&s rotors / ECS Performance Caliper Guide Bushings / ECS Angled Vent Pod Boost Gauge / R8 coil packs / Alzor 18x8 349 / Conti DW
dAT_Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:17 AM   #3
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAT_Sloth View Post
Yeah seems high. Negotiate, them down into the 18s
Thanks @dAt_Sloth. They were willing to come down $200. :/

First time I'm driven a GTI. It was a fun car to drive.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
PLF8593
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '15 CSG 2dr manual GTI SE w/ LP
Hm your location does change things, but considering 2 dr manual s model Mk7 GTIs can be had for ~21/22K brand new, thats just not a great price
PLF8593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #5
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF8593 View Post
Hm your location does change things, but considering 2 dr manual s model Mk7 GTIs can be had for ~21/22K brand new, thats just not a great price
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Craigslist should yield better deals but I was attracted to that 2 yr warranty. Thanks for your sharing your thoughts.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
whitewolf33
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW Wolfsburg
Low mileage but its also the base model. It doesnt even have steering wheel controls. I think I'd pass at that price
Old 09-02-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
Low mileage but its also the base model. It doesnt even have steering wheel controls. I think I'd pass at that price
Yeah, I noticed that when I test drove it. A very basic experience compared to the videos I see of the new GTIs that can park themselves, have navigation with CarPlay, change driving modes on the touchscreen, etc.

Would you be concerned about the carbon buildup issue or is the mileage low enough to not worry? I know the dealer here charges $1000 for the cleaning.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #8
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
The carbon build up is not really an issue until you get to 40-50k miles. Even then unless you are going to tune the car it isn't much of an issue. My car only started cold start misfiring (a common sign that it is time for a carbon cleaning) a few days after I got tuned at 45,500 miles. It was a non issue on the stock tune and only became apparent after I tuned my car so yeah. Stock tune should get you to at least 75,000 miles or more depending on your driving habits. With a tune if your car hasn't been driven hard 40-50k. My car was owned by a girl before I got it at 40k miles so it probably never saw red line ever in it's life which would explain why mine would have a lot of carbon build up to cause issues at stage 1+.
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnado_2.5 View Post
The carbon build up is not really an issue until you get to 40-50k miles. Even then unless you are going to tune the car it isn't much of an issue. My car only started cold start misfiring (a common sign that it is time for a carbon cleaning) a few days after I got tuned at 45,500 miles. It was a non issue on the stock tune and only became apparent after I tuned my car so yeah. Stock tune should get you to at least 75,000 miles or more depending on your driving habits. With a tune if your car hasn't been driven hard 40-50k. My car was owned by a girl before I got it at 40k miles so it probably never saw red line ever in it's life which would explain why mine would have a lot of carbon build up to cause issues at stage 1+.
Thanks! That is really useful knowledge.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
My car has 120k and never carbon cleaned. No misfires. I drive it hard and I'm tuned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
I (in May) paid about $18k for my 2013 GTI Driver's Edition with 66K miles. But it was $18k out the door (registration, taxes, fees, etc).

I still think I paid a little much for a high mileage car, but sometimes, in order to get the car you want, you pay a little extra and in the long run it's worth it.

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
My car has 120k and never carbon cleaned. No misfires. I drive it hard and I'm tuned...
From your experience, and from the "Italian tune up" advice I see on the forums, driving it hard appears to help prevent the buildup. Definitely good to know.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
GetTicketsInstantly
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
I (in May) paid about $18k for my 2013 GTI Driver's Edition with 66K miles. But it was $18k out the door (registration, taxes, fees, etc).

I still think I paid a little much for a high mileage car, but sometimes, in order to get the car you want, you pay a little extra and in the long run it's worth it.
Did the car already have the 4 yr/40k mile service w/DSG fluid change? That service is over $1,000 at the dealer here which I don't look forward to if I buy a 2013. Was it a CPO with the 2 yr warranty?

Thanks for sharing your purchase and thoughts.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
fastlax16
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2016 MK7 R
You can get a new 2016 like 21k...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fastlax16 is offline   Reply With Quote