GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leather Armrest in a Cloth GTI?

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Currently, I have all cloth in my GTI. I know people love the plaid, but I still would prefer leather. Some of my biggest pet peeves with the cloth include pet hair that's on my clothes which gets all over the seats; and, the cloth also acts like sandpaper, which leaves white skin marks wherever anyone puts their elbows. Do you guys think it would look bad if I swapped my cloth armrest for a leather red-stiched armrest? I'm looking to either buy a replacement or just re-wrap it myself. I'm also interested in wrapping the door armrests in leather as well. I'll eventually swap the cloth seats for red-stiched leather, but I'm not trying to break the bank yet. What do you guys think?

red_stapler

Ready to race!
The steering wheel is leather and nobody feels it is out of place. I'd say go for it!

walker

Go Kart Newbie
I'm gonna be captain obvious and say for $30 just go for it and see what you think. If it sucks, put it back on eBay for $25.

beygan

Ready to race!
Good fine. I put it on my watch list. I'm hoping to find a good condition leather interior for my 2 door GTI. Somebody's selling a set but it is well used, especially the rears so I'll pass for now.

Go for the leather. It's worth it.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Good fine. I put it on my watch list. I'm hoping to find a good condition leather interior for my 2 door GTI. Somebody's selling a set but it is well used, especially the rears so I'll pass for now.

Go for the leather. It's worth it.

Ended up purchasing it last night with a new trim tool off Amazon. Going to install it next weekend so I'll post pics of it for sure. It should look sick considering the steering wheel, shift-boot, and handbrake are leather.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yeah I did this mod on my MK6 (cloth seats) when I had it....it was one of the first mods I did actually.

Looked fine actually & just blended in with the center console

JSwag420

Ready to race!
I got the leather armrest cover and it is great quality, however, it seems it is not big enough to be put on by hand. They didn't give enough excess leather on the sides to be able to properly pull it around and staple it. I'm going to probably either return it or have an upholstery shop put it on for me.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Oh you're just adding a cover

I just bought a used OEM replacement & swapped the lids with a couple screws

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Oh you're just adding a cover

I just bought a used OEM replacement & swapped the lids with a couple screws

Yeah, just the cover. Wanted to go with something with some nice red stitching. The seller actually offered to put it on since it's very difficult without using equipment. Waiting for them to send it back.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
Is the seller charging you to install the cover?

No they are not. I highly doubt they do this for everybody though. Hopefully I'll get my arm rest back haha. Only costed $5 to ship it back to them with the leather cover.

JSwag420

Ready to race!
And it's in!

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
looks good man