GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
Ronnie
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R
Question on the Haldex AWD sytem for a 2012 VW GOLF R

Hey Everyone,

First car I've had with AWD so I'm just curious about how it works. If the Haldex system isn't working properly will it throw on a warning light / code in the instrument panel? Just need to know what to look out for with it and how to make sure it's working properly.

Thanks!
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Hey Everyone,

First car I've had with AWD so I'm just curious about how it works. If the Haldex system isn't working properly will it throw on a warning light / code in the instrument panel? Just need to know what to look out for with it and how to make sure it's working properly.

Thanks!
should throw an abs code
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Ronnie
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
should throw an abs code
Awesome! Thank you! Ok so no ABS Code which I'm gonna assume that the AWD is working just fine. Buying a used car I tend to worry about every little thing instead of enjoying the car like I should.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
I say wait to have that confirmed I read it on the R forums a bunch of times but I don't have one
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Dans GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6
Problems with the transmission/drive train generally won't trigger a check engine. But the AWD system in the R's is pretty solid. I don't think you have much to worry about.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Ronnie
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
Problems with the transmission/drive train generally won't trigger a check engine. But the AWD system in the R's is pretty solid. I don't think you have much to worry about.
Sweet! I'm even more stoked now knowing the R's AWD is solid! I think it's pretty cool how when I turn left or right from a complete stop I can feel the different wheels engaging. I've only owned front wheel and rear wheel drive vehicles so this is a whole new experience for me. LOL!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
thzpcs
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2010 BMP GTI
That Haldex system has been around for over 15 years, and is in a TON of cars. It's absolutely rock solid, I wouldn't worry about it.
thzpcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
tjasko
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 CW .:R
The Haldex AWD is a damn good system, don't be worried about it breaking. Now there is a fairly common issue kinda related to the Haldex, but not really, and that's the rear harmonic balancer that helps reduce vibrations from rear driveshaft to the Haldex. Take a read at: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-new-to-check

A Haldex doesn't work like a regular AWD differential, like a Torsen. Golf Rs are front-wheel-drive biased and the Haldex only engages its clutch when it feels it needs to. A popular mod is upgrading the Haldex controller to change how it engages. Take a read at this if you're more curious man: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65009

Now with that said, you can completely unplug the Haldex and the car is still "drivable". This is actually how people dyno these cars on a front-wheel-drive dyno. It will throw faults of course and may screw with ABS, so probably not recommended to drive it on the road like that, but nevertheless doable lol...