GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-29-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Best Replacement Tires for 15 Inch Wheels

There are a ton of tires for the larger diameter VW wheels, but it is getting increasingly harder to find really good sport tires for the OE 15 inch wheel size, so to help others out I though I'd start this tread.

Please tell us what 15 inch tires you recommend for the MK6 Golf.

Goodyear Eagle Sport AS (195-65-15) are pretty good value, V-rate tire that is quiet and provides great dry grip, and good wet grip. The shoulders don't roll over under hard cornering.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI 6MT Wolfsburg Edition
I used to have Kumho Ecsta TA71. If you really want substantial improvement over hard cornering, I'd just upgrade rear sway. I think my best ride was when I had my 15 inch wheels and H&R 22mm RSB. I have since upgraded to 18" and the improvements in cornering were minimal with the rear sways.

I chose the Kumho since they were very quiet and had a nice ride without feeling too mushy.
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
MLue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset9 View Post
I used to have Kumho Ecsta TA71. If you really want substantial improvement over hard cornering, I'd just upgrade rear sway. I think my best ride was when I had my 15 inch wheels and H&R 22mm RSB. I have since upgraded to 18" and the improvements in cornering were minimal with the rear sways.

I chose the Kumho since they were very quiet and had a nice ride without feeling too mushy.
Good review, I have the RSB as well.

My buddy has Continental Pure Contacts on his MK5 Rabbit, they are really good too but after a while they got noisy.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
donutpop365
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset9 View Post

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but how is the handling with just the 22mm RSB? I've been thinking about getting one without doing the front because I don't really want to drop my subframe and getting a FSB and paying installation costs a lot.

Does it oversteer too easily? Is it neutral? Does it still understeer like a pig? Is the body roll better?

Thanks!
donutpop365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
MLue1

I have the Hotchkist 27mm RSB it's hollow so on it's softest setting equal to about a 23-24mm solid RSB. If you aren't tracking and you don't go any stiffer you shouldn't need to upgrade your FSB.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI 6MT Wolfsburg Edition
Handling is much much more planted. I haven't tracked (nor do I plan on it) or gone on canyon runs (in future plans) but I much like the stability that I have during turns. Larger bumps feel a little bit harsher but it's much preferable than the mushy feel during turns. Can't really say much about oversteer/understeer as I haven't pushed my car enough to experience either of those symptoms.

I might get a good deal on a GTI front sway bar, so I might upgrade it while I'm at it.
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
MLue1

Thumbs up

Kinforest KF550, aka Mayrun M500

Did some track time with these tires at Calabogie near Ottawa. Yes I'm one of the few nutz to drive on the track with 15 inch tires, for cheap tires they are quite good in the dry (can't speak for them in adverse conditions tho) and stood up well to hard cornering lap after lap and just as good as my old 15 inch Michelins. The great thing is if when I trash 'em they are super cheap to replace.

Found this Youtube review:
https://youtu.be/tP_s-hLWwvE

Cheers

Last edited by MLue1; 07-09-2017 at 05:41 PM.