GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 2dr 6spd
Low 'N Slow GTI

By "low", I mean low budget, and by "slow", I mean slow build. Welcome!

Recently purchased a 2012 GTI with 48k miles to replace the Cruze that I wrecked.

Current List:
-Window Tint (1/5/17)
-Eonon GA6153W Head Unit (1/4/17)
-TWM Performance M1 Abrams Shift Knob (11/25/16)
-Integrated Engineering Intake (7/23/17)
-H&R Street Performance Coilovers (Not Installed)
-Ziza LED Taillights (8/4/17)
-NewSouth Boost Gauge (Not Installed)
-Cobb Accessport w/ Stratified Tune (Ordered)
-Cobb Downpipe (Ordered)

Upcoming buys:
-Rotiform TMB's
-"Ness Blue" Plastidip/vinyl
-Front Grille (Likely ABT style)
-Cobb Catback

Thanks for looking guys, I plan on updating this thread whenever I get something new.

Last edited by ReportDevin; 08-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
ReportDevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
c72k
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Mk5 GTI Fahrenheit
Welcome! I have a similar build theme to my car as well lol. Quick note, skip the springs and get coilovers. Been there, done that and it's not worth doing more than once
c72k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c72k View Post
Welcome! I have a similar build theme to my car as well lol. Quick note, skip the springs and get coilovers. Been there, done that and it's not worth doing more than once
The main reason why I wanted springs was just to get it lower for now and save for good quality coilovers. Unless I can find a good kit sub $600
Old 11-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
CMGTI
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI
Quote:
My first GTI came with coilovers, I drove too spirited for that lol. I was only at 24 FTG too. H&R super sports gets very low for springs. It depends how you drive the car anyway lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReportDevin View Post
The main reason why I wanted springs was just to get it lower for now and save for good quality coilovers. Unless I can find a good kit sub $600
Its on how you drive, the roads in your town, etc. Quite a few kits are around that. The marketplace has a few of them.

Welcome to the site.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
c72k
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
To me, this never makes sense when I hear people doing this. IMO, suck it up and just save for coils. Your car doesn't need to be lowered this instant. Then you save whatever the cost of springs and your time installing
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMGTI View Post
My first GTI came with coilovers, I drove too spirited for that lol. I was only at 24 FTG too. H&R super sports gets very low for springs. It depends how you drive the car anyway lol.

Its on how you drive, the roads in your town, etc. Quite a few kits are around that. The marketplace has a few of them.

Welcome to the site.
Wut? I don't understand the first part
Old 11-26-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Quote:
To me, this never makes sense when I hear people doing this. IMO, suck it up and just save for coils. Your car doesn't need to be lowered this instant. Then you save whatever the cost of springs and your time installing

Wut? I don't understand the first part
That actually sounds like a good plan. Figuring I could save $200 bucks and already be 1/3 of the way to get coilovers.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #7
c72k
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
That actually sounds like a good plan. Figuring I could save $200 bucks and already be 1/3 of the way to get coilovers.
Yeah, and just make sure to avoid Riceland and Solowerks (the cheap Chinese stuff)
Old 12-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Adding little things bit by bit just so i don't get bored. Waiting until after the holidays to start buying parts.

Also trying to get this POS ready to sell so I can buy parts for the VW.

Considering upgrading the exhaust sooner than later, but I was wondering if a TBE is just a CBE with a downpipe. Is that true or is there more to it? I'm still learning so don't be surprised if I ask stupid questions.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
A TBE for our cars is just a downpipe and CBE. You probably won't save money buying a TBE vs a downpipe and CBE seperately (if you're getting the same components). If you install them at separate times then you'll be looking at more labor/cost.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
A TBE for our cars is just a downpipe and CBE. You probably won't save money buying a TBE vs a downpipe and CBE seperately (if you're getting the same components). If you install them at separate times then you'll be looking at more labor/cost.
So now I just need to figure out whether I want to get it all at once, or separately. Most likely separately and save money over time and build my car rather than wait and then do it at once.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Quote:
So now I just need to figure out whether I want to get it all at once, or separately. Most likely separately and save money over time and build my car rather than wait and then do it at once.
Can you do any of the work yourself? If you can put the CBE on yourself then it shouldn't matter if you do the downpipe by itself first. And do you plan to get a tune when you do a downpipe?
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 12-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Quote:
Can you do any of the work yourself? If you can put the CBE on yourself then it shouldn't matter if you do the downpipe by itself first. And do you plan to get a tune when you do a downpipe?
Yeah most of the work will be done by me. And yeah I was planning on getting the tune pretty early actually. After thinking about it for a bit I might actually get the tune with an intake first, then get a downpipe and pay the $150 for APR tune to upgrade to Intake/Downpipe. Then throw on the CBE later and call it good. But that's not set in stone. But yes, tune with downpipe.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Yeah most of the work will be done by me. And yeah I was planning on getting the tune pretty early actually. After thinking about it for a bit I might actually get the tune with an intake first, then get a downpipe and pay the $150 for APR tune to upgrade to Intake/Downpipe. Then throw on the CBE later and call it good. But that's not set in stone. But yes, tune with downpipe.
That will definitely save some money then.

Personally I think the best route to start would be Stage 2 tune and downpipe. The stage 2 requires a downpipe and will give you the most bang for your buck. Right now it seems APR has $100 off their tune. Then if you get the APR downpipe you get the Stage 1 to Stage 2 upgrade for free. So that'd be $250 in savings which more than offsets the cheaper price of the Billy Boat downpipe. I'm not saying the Billy Boat is bad at all or that it's cheap construction, just that it costs less.

If you go that way you'd essentially have saved about $100, which could help pay for an intake as the next step.

But that's just an idea, obviously you do what suits you best You could do the discounted Stage 1 now and get an intake, and then get a downpipe later and still save $150 off the tune upgrade if you went with APR.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
ReportDevin
Ready to race!

Quote:
That will definitely save some money then.

Personally I think the best route to start would be Stage 2 tune and downpipe. The stage 2 requires a downpipe and will give you the most bang for your buck. Right now it seems APR has $100 off their tune. Then if you get the APR downpipe you get the Stage 1 to Stage 2 upgrade for free. So that'd be $250 in savings which more than offsets the cheaper price of the Billy Boat downpipe. I'm not saying the Billy Boat is bad at all or that it's cheap construction, just that it costs less.

If you go that way you'd essentially have saved about $100, which could help pay for an intake as the next step.

But that's just an idea, obviously you do what suits you best You could do the discounted Stage 1 now and get an intake, and then get a downpipe later and still save $150 off the tune upgrade if you went with APR.
I was under the assumption that to go Stage 2 requires Intake & Downpipe, or am I wrong there? And I haven't decided on a brand for the downpipe either, and the Billy Boat CBE sounded best to me and also thought that it was one of the top of the line brands. I'm still doing research on different brands and products before I ultimately decide on a tune, downpipe, etc. I just want to figure out which to go first.

And thanks for all your help so far, really appreciate it