GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #1
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI 6MT Wolfsburg Edition
What do I need for front caliper upgrade?

Hi. Besides rotor, carrier, and calipers (going with stock GTI ones), do I need anything else to upgrade my front brakes?
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #2
gugu1981
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 JSW 2.5 5MT
The caliper and pads are actually the same. You just need the rotor and carrier.

Peter
gugu1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

I'll be damned. That takes care of a lot of things.

Does the larger GTI rotors help with anything besides better heat dissipation?
Old 11-30-2016, 02:55 AM   #4
DarianBx3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset9 View Post

Nope. The rotor is effectively a big heat sink. You'll be able to go nuts with the brakes for longer before they get too hot to use though.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Cool. So improving brake performance short of a big brake kit would be better pads, fluids, lines, and caliper stiffening kit, correct?

For a daily driver, I've heard OEM fluid is more than enough and steel lines offer better feel but nothing earth shattering.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
sure it's the same? I have a rabbit and a gti. The 15" steelies from the rabbit won't clear my gti brakes.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
sure it's the same? I have a rabbit and a gti. The 15" steelies from the rabbit won't clear my gti brakes.
I think that might have to do with more of the bigger rotors on the GTI. Tthe Golf and GTI they use the same pads when I check for part numbers.

I guess it was cheaper to use smaller rotors than to offer 16" wheels on the cheapest Golf
Old 11-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
GIACUser
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV EFR7163
Quote:

The larger rotor will allow for greater stopping force because like a long handled wrench you can a apply more torque. If you want to really improve your brakes as you put these on ... go with something like an Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pad and you will notice a BIG difference. Street driving - regular OEM fluid is fine. If you track your car absolutely get hi-temp fluid.

One other mod a lot of us have used with GTI or R brakes is the Tyrolsport stiffening kit. I put in the braided lines just because but I personally didn't notice much difference.

GTI rotors and Hawk HPS pads and you will feel a big change.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
The larger rotor will allow for greater stopping force because like a long handled wrench you can a apply more torque. If you want to really improve your brakes as you put these on ... go with something like an Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pad and you will notice a BIG difference. Street driving - regular OEM fluid is fine. If you track your car absolutely get hi-temp fluid.

One other mod a lot of us have used with GTI or R brakes is the Tyrolsport stiffening kit. I put in the braided lines just because but I personally didn't notice much difference.

GTI rotors and Hawk HPS pads and you will feel a big change.
From what I understand, there shouldn't be any rotational force involved in braking. The calipers seem to be a set of pistons powered by hydraulics pushing the pad up against the rotors.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
DarianBx3
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI DSG
Quote:
From what I understand, there shouldn't be any rotational force involved in braking. The calipers seem to be a set of pistons powered by hydraulics pushing the pad up against the rotors.
He is actually right, I forgot about that.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianBx3 View Post
He is actually right, I forgot about that.
Ah I see where he's coming from. Since the rotors are larger and the calipers are placed at the edge, the rotational force along the axis would result in higher braking power.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #12
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Use better pads without a big power increse going to larger and heavier rotors will effectively slow you Golf down due to the increse in rotational mass, ask any one using "boat anchor" Detroit wheels on their Golf 2.5.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
gugu1981
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 JSW 2.5 5MT
Quote:
Ah I see where he's coming from. Since the rotors are larger and the calipers are placed at the edge, the rotational force along the axis would result in higher braking power.
I have thought about that before as well. But if you are able to lock the wheels up with the Golf brakes, then it doesn't NEED any more force to stop the car, right? Which would mean going to GTI brakes is only beneficial by gives you more consistent stopping power when you are on the track. (if you are panic stopping repeatedly on the street, you are doing something wrong... if you are frequently going down big hills, you need to consider engine braking).

The reason I have GTI brakes on my car is because I tow with the car, and the extra weight could potentially overcome the stock brakes. As a result, I upgraded to the GTI brakes to give myself more stopping force. I have yet to put it to the test though, and am hoping I never have to. I have also installed much wider tires to allow for more traction (both to accelerate and decelerate, and for anyone thinking that wider tires = heavier tires, and would only slow me down: my car is turbo'd, so I have more than enough power to overcome the extra weight from the tires).

Here's what I think makes the most sense:
http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...ar-stop-faster

and i quote:
"Big brake systems were not designed to stop your car sooner, but rather, stop it more efficiently and consistently. The larger calipers, vented discs, and exotic-compound pads increase heat capacity and heat dissipation. These upgraded braking systems not only perform well under extreme temperatures, but in most cases perform better when hot as opposed to average street driving temperatures. This is definitely something to consider when deciding on rotor and pad compounds. Because these brakes dissipate heat more effectively, they reduce brake fade. Brake fade occurs under high temperatures, can be caused by boiled brake fluid, and results in a soft pedal and elongated stopping distances. Big brake systems don’t decrease your car’s stopping distance over stock. Instead, they are designed to perform consistently under extreme conditions so that your car will stop just as well the first time as the N’th time. "

Peter
gugu1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #14
madbikes
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5L 5-speed
Quote:
Hi. Besides rotor, carrier, and calipers (going with stock GTI ones), do I need anything else to upgrade my front brakes?
A big brake kit for the GTI will be a much more worthy upgrade since going for GTI stock rotor with the necessary hardware is a small jump.

Everything bolts up. It's not cheap, but will feel like you actually do have brakes at the end with a smile. Requires 17" wheels with an offset of +47 minimum to fit.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=329
APR-Carbonio intake/United Motorsports Tuned/Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch kit/Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+transmission mount+dogbone insert/Bilstein PSS coilovers/034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar/StopTech ST-40 328mm Big Brake Kit/StopTech stainless steel brake lines
madbikes is offline   Reply With Quote