GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn LP/DA
Haldex = Helldex

So I've read. I'm seriously considering a 2012 Golf R but I'm concerned about the Haldex. Can anyone give me any insight as to why some refer to the haldex as the Helldex?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
09GTIJoE
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Sleep .:R
ive always known it as Haldex. maybe its the same? like hood and bonnet?
09GTIJoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
What is your concern? It's not the best AWD system. If you're not rally racing it's plenty good enough.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
iGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A car with round vents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
What is your concern? It's not the best AWD system. If you're not rally racing it's plenty good enough.
Agreed.

Not to bash many of the "car enthusiast" but for daily driving/commuting it should suffice the average needs quite well.

S3 16'
STG 1+ Sold
iGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
iceorbital
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW Golf R 2012
long story short, cars with haldex are fwd biased, that is the car will behave as a fwd until it detect slippage in the front wheels. As a result you save fuel, but you don't have an awd button you can turn things on. Prior to gen 4 (which is the one in the 2012 Golf R) apparently the system was relatively slow to react and couldn't send much torque to the rear. With gen 4 and above the rears are engaged before actual slippage happens through some sort of magic. Plenty on the interwebs to read if you really want to. Also, search for the HPA comp controller if you want a more sporty feeling or the UM (United Motorsport) flash of the stock unit.
iceorbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
plumpzz
Autocross Champion

Drives: Nissan 350Z
I own a Quattro Q5 and my golf r. I've driven both in deep snow. I'd say the gen 4 haldex is every bit as capable in street and dry track driving as Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plumpzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Thanks for all the responses folks. I was more concerned about the reliability of the system. Just took the R I'm thinking of getting out for a few hours today and I must say I was very impressed with how it handled.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:18 AM   #8
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceorbital View Post
long story short, cars with haldex are fwd biased, that is the car will behave as a fwd until it detect slippage in the front wheels. As a result you save fuel, but you don't have an awd button you can turn things on. Prior to gen 4 (which is the one in the 2012 Golf R) apparently the system was relatively slow to react and couldn't send much torque to the rear. With gen 4 and above the rears are engaged before actual slippage happens through some sort of magic. Plenty on the interwebs to read if you really want to. Also, search for the HPA comp controller if you want a more sporty feeling or the UM (United Motorsport) flash of the stock unit.
So what exactly does flashing the Haldex system achieve?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 AM   #9
corrado917
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTI CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
A buch of goodies APRís K04 kit, NGK 8 plugs , Unitronic Intake, Eurojet DP, Magnaflow catback, APRís TCU tune, 034 Dogbone Mount Insert, S3 intercooler, Forge catch can, Modshack trim, AWE tuning IC hoses, Neuspeed K04 TOP & TDP, H&R Cup kit, Golf Rís skirts & side mirrors, Euro LED tails, GTD grill, H&R sways, Stern bar, Enkei RPF1 & some other stuff..Build
corrado917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado917 View Post
Got it, leave the farking Haldex alone.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
iceorbital
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW Golf R 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDuBNIT View Post
So what exactly does flashing the Haldex system achieve?
it turns it into something close to the HPA competition version. It'll make the system more sensitive, engage the rear under hard acceleration and also use torque transfer on the rear during hard breaking. This link is from the gen1 but the deal is pretty much the same http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...aldex-software
There's a piece that will fall apart over time, the giubo, consider replacement as maintenance of the awd system. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ot-to-you-guys
iceorbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
VDuBNIT
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceorbital View Post
it turns it into something close to the HPA competition version. It'll make the system more sensitive, engage the rear under hard acceleration and also use torque transfer on the rear during hard breaking. This link is from the gen1 but the deal is pretty much the same http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...aldex-software
There's a piece that will fall apart over time, the giubo, consider replacement as maintenance of the awd system. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ot-to-you-guys
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
bebersol
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpzz View Post
I own a Quattro Q5 and my golf r. I've driven both in deep snow. I'd say the gen 4 haldex is every bit as capable in street and dry track driving as Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if the Audi has a transverse engine then the quattro system is Haldex, an inline engine = torsen.

when you turn off the traction control in the snow the haldex is flat out fun.

Only problem I recall hearing about the haldex is when somebody tried to perform the haldex oil change and drained the differential oil not haldex oil. Then they left the diff dry because they were looking in the haldex's fill port and it was full. That predictably blew the diff up.

Last edited by bebersol; 12-19-2016 at 01:12 PM.
bebersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
From an engineering stand-point Haldex is a great system. It suffers from almost none of the drawbacks of a true AWD system which is powering all four wheels at all times. This means that you get the benefits of higher fuel economy while the new Gen 4+ Haldex systems are quick enough to send power basically instantly and in some cases preemptively to the rear wheels when needed.

Because of this part-time system, you will hear complaints from people online and journalists about it and on-track it does have a slightly different turn-in feel than a legit AWD system like the Evo 8-9-10 and powering out ability, but again realistically it is one of the best systems for road use. Besides literally a bone stock used S2000 or 2011-16 Mustang GT is a way better track car than any of the AWD Sedans/Hatches nowadays anyways. So may as well have the best street-car system there is.

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote