GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI 4DR Wolfsburg 6MT
Stock springs with SuperPro Ball Joints?

I'm looking into options for dialing in a bit more camber. My suspension is currently stock, and I'm trying to correct excessive outer tire wear during track events. I've considered DG Springs, but DD my car and would like to maintain stock ride height/quality if possible. I see people recommend the SuperPro adjustable ball joints, but I'm wondering if they would be worth it with stock springs? From everything I'm reading, I should be able to get to around -1.3 front camber with the ball joints alone. With DG Springs and ball joints, it looks like around -1.7 is achievable. I'd be happy with -1.3, so I'm considering just ball joints right now. Can anyone provide any experience with this combination? Thanks!

Ronnie
/// 2013 Wolfsburg GTI w/ leather, APR Stage 1 v2.4 93 tune, RSR Clutch, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Vibrant Resonator on stock catback, Diesel Geek short shifter, NewSouth Boost Gauge, SuperPro ALK, Stoptech 309 Pads, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Michelin PSS on OZ 17" Omnia (Summer), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Winter), Depo R LED Tails.

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 01-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Ronnie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie_B View Post
I'm looking into options for dialing in a bit more camber. My suspension is currently stock, and I'm trying to correct excessive outer tire wear during track events. I've considered DG Springs, but DD my car and would like to maintain stock ride height/quality if possible. I see people recommend the SuperPro adjustable ball joints, but I'm wondering if they would be worth it with stock springs? From everything I'm reading, I should be able to get to around -1.3 front camber with the ball joints alone. With DG Springs and ball joints, it looks like around -1.7 is achievable. I'd be happy with -1.3, so I'm considering just ball joints right now. Can anyone provide any experience with this combination? Thanks!

Ronnie
As a follow-up question, I see people were initially concerned about these ball joints losing their setting over time after hard cornering. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
/// 2013 Wolfsburg GTI w/ leather, APR Stage 1 v2.4 93 tune, RSR Clutch, iABED RMS, Carbonio Stage 1 Intake, Vibrant Resonator on stock catback, Diesel Geek short shifter, NewSouth Boost Gauge, SuperPro ALK, Stoptech 309 Pads, Motul RBF600 Fluid, Michelin PSS on OZ 17" Omnia (Summer), Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on Serrons(Winter), Depo R LED Tails.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
First, what tires are you running? What air pressures?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Michelin PSS 225/45/17. Hot tire pressures were around 42psi. Front tire temps were around 145F, with the outer tread block being much hotter than the inner and center tread.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
Cadubya
DUBYA

Quote:
Michelin PSS 225/45/17. Hot tire pressures were around 42psi. Front tire temps were around 145F, with the outer tread block being much hotter than the inner and center tread.

That's your first problem. PPS's aren't a track tire and don't have the stiffest sidewall. Also, maybe some anti sway bars are in order (at least the rear) before you go for camber plates.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

I'd definitely agree with you on the PSS not being a track tire. I'm chalking my tires each session, and confirmed I'm not rolling over on the sidewalls at the pressures I'm running. The outer tread block is just taking a beating though, and I'm not sure a more track oriented tire would fair much better.

I've considered sway bars, and still may go that route. But at this point would like to add a little camber and go from there. So I'm definitely interested in hearing experiences with the SuperPro Ball joints.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Cadubya
DUBYA

Quote:
I'd definitely agree with you on the PSS not being a track tire. I'm chalking my tires each session, and confirmed I'm not rolling over on the sidewalls at the pressures I'm running. The outer tread block is just taking a beating though, and I'm not sure a more track oriented tire would fair much better.

I've considered sway bars, and still may go that route. But at this point would like to add a little camber and go from there. So I'm definitely interested in hearing experiences with the SuperPro Ball joints.

Adding more negative static camber is all well and good. Might want to look at these. They add caster. Adding caster increases negative camber during cornering. They also prevent front end lift which will help you put the power down. Just trying to help you keep it daily like. Plenty of fast gti's at the track that aren't running camber plates and aren't burning up tires. I'm on bilstein HD's and stock springs btw.

http://powerflexusa.com/volkswagengo...djustable.aspx
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #8
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Thanks for the info on the Powerflex ALK. I don't want to add camber plates or adjustable ball joints if I don't need to, especially given that I'd prefer to keep my stock springs. There's quite a bit of information out there, and I'm trying to sort through it to find what will work in my case. Would the ALK alone be worth doing? Again, not trying to throw parts at it, but be smart about trying to improve the issue.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #9
Cadubya
DUBYA

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the Powerflex ALK. I don't want to add camber plates or adjustable ball joints if I don't need to, especially given that I'd prefer to keep my stock springs. There's quite a bit of information out there, and I'm trying to sort through it to find what will work in my case. Would the ALK alone be worth doing? Again, not trying to throw parts at it, but be smart about trying to improve the issue.

Yes, the ALK alone is worth it. Definitely do one thing at a time and then test. Don't just throw parts at it all at one time. You won't know what helped and what hindered.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #10
mamock116
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI MT
The ALK is great. It was my first suspension mod and made a very noticeable difference on turn in.
mamock116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Just ordered the SuperPro ALK, and will try that first. I have my first trackday scheduled in April, so I'll let you guys know some feedback. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Ronnie_B; 01-26-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
red_stapler
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI DSG
I think I'd want to limit use of superpros to lowered cars since it raises the roll center, which is already pretty high on our cars.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #13
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadubya View Post
Yes, the ALK alone is worth it. Definitely do one thing at a time and then test. Don't just throw parts at it all at one time. You won't know what helped and what hindered.
lol this guy. "Do as I say, not as I do"

But yeah an ALK will make a nice difference for turn in. Not sure it will help your tire wear problem much though. If you're going to be tracking the car you should consider changing out that stock suspension.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
Ronnie_B
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
lol this guy. "Do as I say, not as I do"
Hey, we're all hypocrites in our own way, right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
But yeah an ALK will make a nice difference for turn in. Not sure it will help your tire wear problem much though. If you're going to be tracking the car you should consider changing out that stock suspension.
When you say "changing out that stock suspension", can you clarify what that involves? Where I come from, that means replacing/modifying literally every suspension component. I restored a 65 Nova a few years ago, with the intent of making a suitable dual purpose driver and track day car. That meant replacing everything...modified control arms, modified strut rods, strut brace, modified control arm and shock mounts, swaybars, springs/shocks, welded subframe connectors, the list goes one and on.

Obviously the GTI's suspension is a much better starting point than the 1st Gen Nova, so if I can add a few well-thought-out modifications here and there, I'd like to go that route first. If it doesn't get me where I want to be, I'm not opposed to going the "replace everything" route.

Here's a pic of that 65 Nova for attention...now in Germany btw.