GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
colslaw87
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG 4dr 6spd
Intake Manifold replacement & Carbon Cleaning

I went to the dealership for the 24AX ECM Software recall. This was mandatory in order to register my GTI in California this year.

After the Software update, the check engine light came on. Confirmed it was fault code P2015 Intake Manifold. I scheduled service a week later at the same dealership for the Intake Manifold replacement. I was ensured that this was covered under an extended warranty for just that part.

I asked the service manager if they could text me a photo of the Intake Ports before installing the replacement Intake Manifold. Since my GTI has 72k miles, I've had a hunch for a while now that carbon build-up could be the source of my rough cold starts and jerky throttle response. Since the Intake Manifold was being removed anyway, perfect time to see how bad the carbon build-up was. It wasn't TERRIBLE, but I figured I'd get it cleaned now opposed to installing a new Intake Manifold over the dirt.

The dealership quoted me $300 for the Carbon Cleaning. And provided a free loaner car for that night and the following day. I was told Carbon Cleaning should have cost $700, but I have a hunch that since the service & labor were already covered under the warranty repair, I only paid for the media blasting material. I wouldn't say wait until warranty work to have a repair made, but I certainly lucked out this time.

Aside from that, the engine feels new again! What a world of difference!

colslaw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
hbrown0509
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Definitely lucked out! My question is, why would they install a new manifold if the intake valves looked like that without recommending a cleaning? Good thing you were on top of it though and beat them to it. I'm considering getting my done sometime around 40k miles. I do a lot of shorter trips since I don't live far from work so I'm sure my carbon build up is happening much quicker than others.
hbrown0509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
walker
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '12 GTI 6MT-DBP '12 Golf Black
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was coming up on my 80,000 service when I got a CEL. Same code, P2015 Intake Manifold. I did some googling and learned about the pre-2012 warranty extension for that part. At the dealer I asked about getting the carbon cleaning done while they had the Intake Manifold off, and they quoted me $300 also. So I'm getting that all done right now, hoping the car runs like new when I get it back.

For the record I've got a MY2012 GTI with a build date of 10/26/2011. The service manager printed me out a copy of the vehicle data, says the intake manifold, fuel injectors, and injection pump have the extended coverage to 120K.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Syze00
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 GTI
What type of gas where you putting into it? I've never put anything but premium from either Mobil/Exxon, Shell, or Chevron. I just had to get my intake manifold replaced and a new seal put on around the timing chain housing since it was starting to seep oil. The dealer gave me a little VW bottle of gas treatment, and I did run Techron fuel treatment a few hundred miles ago. It just seems odd that my GTI has under 50k and the intake manifold already had to be replaced. I'm wondering if I should give it a full seafoam treatment after this VW fuel treatment runs through
Syze00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
twovalvekid
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Have this code as well. Just did carbon cleaning at 99.3k on the clock. Have P2015 code. Sounds like it's still under the extended warranty?
Old 08-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
gtimk6spd
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
I'm pretty sure you are covered as well. 10 years/120k I believe.
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2 | APR DP | APR Cabonio Intake | APR Catch Can | APR Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC | ARM TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone | 034 Subframe | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Blakcard
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Seafoam. Does nothing. For our cars. Nuff threads out there regarding. You'd be wasting time effort and money. It's either chem soak and picks or media blast..

Seriously
Old 08-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Pre95
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 10 GTI DSG, 83 URQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
Seafoam. Does nothing. For our cars. Nuff threads out there regarding. You'd be wasting time effort and money. It's either chem soak and picks or media blast..

Seriously
This ^^ Where the deposits build up on the valves are not in an area that seafoam will actually clean. Most reputable VW shops are using bead blasting techniques now which has sped up the cleaning process exponentially.
Pre95 is offline   Reply With Quote