GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
GTI doesn't go straight down the road very well.

Im at about 64k Miles. Recently aligned and I dont have any suspension mods except Hitchkiss 27mm Sways front and back and a Whiteline anti lift kit (rear lower control arm bushings and housing).

My car handles really well in turns but I have to put so much goddamn effort into keeping it tracking straight down the highway. It seems to want to wander in either direction instead of staying straight. Ive gotten several alignments and its always the same. Could it be the sway bars are too aggressive? Or any suggestion of a suspension part that may need replacing that could be the culprit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Also this is my thousandth post.
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
sniper27
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DE
What setting do you have on your sways? How are your tires?
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper27 View Post
What setting do you have on your sways? How are your tires?
im on medium on both

happens on both my summer rims and tires and my winter setup. in varying degrees of wear. Right now my winters will be at the wear bar by march
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
sniper27
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DE
try setting the rears to soft. I had my 22mm H&R rsb at hard and the car felt really squirrelly at freeway speed over every little bump. when I set it to soft, it was much better. tires almost to the wear bar will cause this as well.
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper27 View Post
try setting the rears to soft. I had my 22mm H&R rsb at hard and the car felt really squirrelly at freeway speed over every little bump. when I set it to soft, it was much better. tires almost to the wear bar will cause this as well.
thanks im gonna try em both on soft.
I had the same issues on my summers that were new this season.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
It is hard to say, but to me it seems like the toe is not correct. Sounds like some toe-out. & it will cause what you are experiencing. You say you have a good alignment so that probably isn't it. I don't think your swaybars are going to cause this issue. Back them off, but I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

Lastly who is doing your alignments? You need a person who knows what they are doing. Just because a shop has an alignment rack doesn't mean they know how to use it.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ashchuckton View Post
It is hard to say, but to me it seems like the toe is not correct. Sounds like some toe-out. & it will cause what you are experiencing. You say you have a good alignment so that probably isn't it. I don't think your swaybars are going to cause this issue. Back them off, but I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

Lastly who is doing your alignments? You need a person who knows what they are doing. Just because a shop has an alignment rack doesn't mean they know how to use it.
yeah so the one i just got a month ago was by a vw dealer in my area who just got one of those hunter alignment machines so I figured it would be perfect. Its possible i just need to go somewhere where i can specifically request a little toe in

Quote:
Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
RudeJr
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
What became of this issue? I'm curious.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

I went soft on both front and rear sways and have a lot less sideways movement at speed

Quote:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
dadbodk04
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
I went soft on both front and rear sways and have a lot less sideways movement at speed
I find it interesting that stiffness would cause that, I've even offset my sway bar adjustment to set it for certain tracks and it didn't track funny on the highway. Did you ever get your car on a frame machine? Possible it is tweaked just a little from a previous owner?
dadbodk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #11
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

no but its tracking perfectly at this point so im good

Quote: