GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
edlevy
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 Golf R
Going to stage 2+ with intercooler on 2012 R w/68k miles

I'm thinking about a catted downpipe, fuel pump, intercooler and, of course, the stage 2 file. My Mark VI R has 68,000 miles on it. Is the car too 'used' to make this kind of investment? Will it hasten it's eventual demise?

Thanks, Ed
edlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
skl007
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: MK6 Golf R, E92 M3, R35 GT-R
I would say you're fine. Warranty is gone anyways, so you might as well play around with it. That being said, whenever performance is added, you're most likely increasing wear.
skl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Trnado_2.5
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: A3 Quattro
You're fine plenty of people get tuned or even go bigger turbo at high miles. The engine on the R is also pretty bullet proof so you are fine. Unlike the gti the mk6 golf R has forged internals that are good up to something like 5 or 600 horsepower.
Trnado_2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
-SnowmanMafia-
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Be sure that the first thing you do is swap the cam follower. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
MKJBM05
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 VW GTI Autobahn
Go for it man, stage 3 golf rs on the road close to 100k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MKJBM05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
wuc73

I'm looking to do the same. I'm in the same year and mileage. NGP says stock internals are good up to about 450-500 hp. Cam follower is a must though.
wuc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
vdubbn
Ready to race!

Don't forget the worthless stock clutch . I wanted to go Stage 2 but dollar to hp ratio too high to me.
vdubbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
-SnowmanMafia-
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubbn View Post
Don't forget the worthless stock clutch . I wanted to go Stage 2 but dollar to hp ratio too high to me.
You think? I welcome it coming from a G37S. I poured a solid amount of money into that car for okay gains on the N/A motor. It was a great platform though it handled so well.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SnowmanMafia- View Post
You think? I welcome it coming from a G37S. I poured a solid amount of money into that car for okay gains on the N/A motor. It was a great platform though it handled so well.
$/hp is a pretty narrow way to look at things because it only considers 1 point on the curve. What happens in between is pretty damn important. Think something like an intercooler where $/hp is zero... no added benefit when you look at it that way but in reality it is very beneficial.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
bebersol
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
Agree with the dude,

Also,think about doing the clutch at the same time, stock is probably pretty worn at 68K if it's the original, and going stage 2 will probably finish it off.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:10 AM   #11
changchewsoon
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R MK6
Stage 2+ 2013 Golf R owner here, yes I agree with the rest you definitely want to swap the cam follower.

Other than that, the car have not given me any problems at all.

The difference between stock and stage 2+ is day and night so that is self explanatory, some might argue that an intercooler upgrade does not increase any horsepower, but to me it is well worth as the hot climate here in my country can be very punishing when it gets nasty.

At least when I strap the car on the dyno and after multiple pulls you can see that the intercooler is a lot more resistant to heat soak.

I also added a layer of boron nitride to the intercooler surface as well to help dissipate heat quicker.
2013 Golf R | 313 WHP | Unitronic Stage 2+ & Stage 2 DSG | Integrated Engineering HPFP | Unitronic Turbo-Back Exhaust System | Unitronic Intake | Unitronic Intercooler | HPA Competition Haldex Controller
Toyota Yaris Turbo | 501 WHP | Built Engine
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #12
bebersol
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
boron nitride increases the heat sink capability of the intercooler?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
changchewsoon
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 Golf R MK6
Plenty of information online
2013 Golf R | 313 WHP | Unitronic Stage 2+ & Stage 2 DSG | Integrated Engineering HPFP | Unitronic Turbo-Back Exhaust System | Unitronic Intake | Unitronic Intercooler | HPA Competition Haldex Controller
Toyota Yaris Turbo | 501 WHP | Built Engine
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #14
Zac#1
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '13 R
Kinda on the same page here.

I had my car for a couple months now. She's at 42,000 miles but she has a odd history, which I later found out after purchasing. I guess the car was for sale for over a year here in So Cal by a VW dealer. They couldn't sell it. The car was then sent to a auction somewhere up state. Then within a month a used car salesman bought it, (the guy who I bought from) and he brought it back down here to So Cal. He had the car for 6 months!, then put it for sale. Kinda fishy. (Again I got all this info after purchase). The car had a little knock at idle, and I know some of these cars are known for that so I didnt think much of it. 2nd day of owning the car, check engine light comes on. I take it to the dealer, they said the car needed a long block, turbo and cat. $8,5000. I decided to get a second opinion, I take it to a shop who found the problem and noted that the car had all these aftermarket sealants on the engine. Which the dealer had told me too. First we did the cam follower, did nothing. Then swapped the fuel pump, nothing. Then we found this broken pin.

Swapped it, the engine runs smooth as butter. How this broke in the first place, I have no idea. The previous owner had installed a neuspeed power pulley, the car has an aftermarket boost gauge, and the rev limiter is disabled. But the car is making stock power. I'm guessing the last owner put it back to stock before he traded it? Not sure...

Now the aftermarket sealant on the engine has been replaced with OEM sealant by Pacific German which they had recommended should be done ASAP or engine failure could occur. I had my rotors and pads done as well. Everything about the car is to be dead solid now. At this point a hope I'm good for stage 2, and clutch of course. I know most of us here are APR guys but doesn't anyone have any input on Revo? I'm getting mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stage 2+