GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird rusty coolant? help please

Yanik

Hello Golf MK6 forum,

First, off I should start with the fact that my mechanical terminology is terrible so please bare with me. I know how to do a few things like changing the tires, oil, coolant, windows wipers etc all the basic bits, and bobs, but nothing mechanical.

As you guys can see from the title I have some sort of rusty substance floating around where you put your coolant. I brought this golf 2 years back and she has never had a problem, she gets her by-monthly services and then me touching her up along the way. Anyway, as I was touching her up this time round there is a rusty substance in the container where you add the liquid. I have tried different brands of coolant for sale from the cheapest coolant to the most expensive over the past 2 months it has just gotten worse, maybe it's time to look for a coolant pump for sale? there are some cheap ones on the site below, time to make a move.
http://www.used.forsale/
Specs:
Year: 2011
Model: MK6
Engine: 2.5L
Mileage: 48,000
Doors: 2
Drive: Front wheel

So, Any advice or knowledge that you guys could share with me would be awesome even if the problem is unfixable by me then I will still have an idea of what the problem is when I take it into the mechanics.

Really looking forward to some replies guys

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Is your coolant pink or brown ? If it's brown it could be due to the fact that many different coolant type have been used, there was more water instead of coolant causing some corrosion, it could be oil (when your car will be cold, put your finger in the coolant and look if it's oil or not).

Something you could try it's to do a full flush of your coolant and fill up to the max (not the top of the reservoir, but under the higher black line).

For the coolant I use this :

https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/products/productDetail/0293093P/false/false/false?selectedSku=0293093

And I mix it up with deionized water :

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp.h...cts/canadian-tire-goods/765/902/P6902765.html

I mix it 50% water / 50% coolant. For DIY about coolant flush, I'm pretty sure you can find it on the web.

Good luck with that ;)

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
If you're adding coolant you have a leak, I replaced my Rad around the milage you have indicated, when I drained the coolant it was full of rust scales. Get a mechanic to do a pressure test.

Yanik

Thanks for the replies guys!

I will give the flush out a go first and see where that leaves me. But I have a very bad feeling that it will be what "Mlue1" above has mentioned.

I will also be checking out the link provided and seeing what mixes I can do! Thanks

Yanik

The whole system is getting flushed today in a few hours. Depending on what all the coolant comes out like will determine my next move but if all goes well, I will be replacing the fluid with a 50/50 like advised above and see what the results are.

Thanks

Yanik

When I flushed out the Coolant there was flakey brown rust and rusty water. My friend who helped suggested that it is the water pump??? What do you guys think?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
When I flushed out the Coolant there was flakey brown rust and rusty water. My friend who helped suggested that it is the water pump??? What do you guys think?

I don't know how the water pump would cause rust, if your water pump is failling, you would lose coolant.

Once you have fully flush, when you will pump the new water, the water should be clear, otherwise you got some corosion somewhere.

Here is a few notes I have found on VWVortex, posted by thygreyt:

Anyways, all done!!! I did it the stupid way...

I did it the following way:
Open the bottle.
Remove the lower rad hose.
Let it drain, I only got 3 quarts. Leave open.
Remove the upper rad hose.
Pump water on the hose that goes to the radiator, flush until clear water come out.
Pump water on the hose that goes to the block. Pump until clear comes out.

Plug everything, and fill up... Follow the manual as it says.

If the bottle remains clear then you have only water on the system.

Then drain the 3 quarts and fill with coolant for a 40-60 mix.
(Source: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5663460-DIY-coolant-flush)

Maybe it could help you, he said 40-60 mix, but I recommand 50-50 and deionized water.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I use the 60/40 coolant to water mix as it extends the anti corrosion protection as well as the freeze protection as it has gotten to -42 degrees Celsius a few times in the last several years in Ontario.

For UK 50/50 should be fine.

Last edited: