GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-04-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2014 GTI 6MT Wolfsburg Edition
What's everyone's exhaust setup?

Hi everyone, thought I'd do a quick census of what exhaust everyone's running here.

I bought mine bone-stock and about 500 miles later got a Eurojet exhaust. I'm not sure if it's the v1 or v2 (supposed to reduce drone). Highway under 70 MPH, there is no drone at all, but when I start to get on the throttle above 70 MPH I do get a little bit of a drone.

I'm thinking of switching the resonator that came with the Eurojet with a Vibrant 2.5" Ultra-quiet.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone's running.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
MJ_Media
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 2.5L Golf Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset9 View Post
Hi everyone, thought I'd do a quick census of what exhaust everyone's running here.

I bought mine bone-stock and about 500 miles later got a Eurojet exhaust. I'm not sure if it's the v1 or v2 (supposed to reduce drone). Highway under 70 MPH, there is no drone at all, but when I start to get on the throttle above 70 MPH I do get a little bit of a drone.

I'm thinking of switching the resonator that came with the Eurojet with a Vibrant 2.5" Ultra-quiet.

Anyway, I'm curious what everyone's running.
I have a Eurojet exhaust and i will admit it is one of the louder exhausts that i looked at. However i dont notice alot of drone at highway speeds 110km on average. if i do get on it a bit more it does get louder but i mean thats to be expected. maybe it does have drone but i dont find it as bad as other people do, who knows
MJ_Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Media View Post
I have a Eurojet exhaust and i will admit it is one of the louder exhausts that i looked at. However i dont notice alot of drone at highway speeds 110km on average. if i do get on it a bit more it does get louder but i mean thats to be expected. maybe it does have drone but i dont find it as bad as other people do, who knows
As far as 2.5 catback go I heard it's one of the quieter ones. Awe is louder, single borla is similar, and dual borla is more quiet. I've seen some vids with suitcase delete/GTI (mk5 and mk6) or catbacks on a 2.5 and wasn't impressed.

It's not an unbearable drone, but I listen to a lot of classical music. I expect my car to be a concert hall, but I should probably pick my battles.

Last edited by somerset9; 04-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.
somerset9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
I did run a TechtonicsTuning Single Borla Muffler without resonator paired with a high flow catalytic converter, drone isn't too bad, but I had to remove it due to the tickets I was receiving, I also did look on the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, it looks like a resonator made for big engine, it might reduce / remove the drone but it don't think that it will make the exhaust less loud. Anyway, I'm planning to put back my cat-back in 2 weeks To me the tone of the exhaust is a music that I won't get tired of ^^
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
As far as 2.5 catback go I heard it's one of the quieter ones. Awe is louder, single borla is similar, and dual borla is more quiet. I've seen some vids with suitcase delete/GTI (mk5 and mk6) or catbacks on a 2.5 and wasn't impressed.

It's not an unbearable drone, but I listen to a lot of classical music. I expect my car to be a concert hall, but I should probably pick my battles.

You wouldn't be impressed by my GTI muffler then.

The 2.5 does have a nice tone but seriously the car is not fast so why make a lot of noise and go slow... embarrassing , no? LOL

Last edited by MLue1; 04-04-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: fuk up the quote
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
Rickybobbi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
[quote=MLue1;2516523]
Quote:
The 2.5 does have a nice tone but seriously the car is not fast so why make a lot of noise and go slow... embarrassing , no? LOL
https://youtu.be/y4BFxse8yUg

im stock for now but want to get the GTI exhaust, just for the look.
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
spm catted dp and gutted stock muffler
Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
spm catted dp and gutted stock muffler
Thanks but this is for the Golf 2.5
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #9
MJ_Media
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 2.5L Golf Coupe
Quote:

I'll have to upload a recent vid showing my exhaust, all I know is it sure isn't quiet haha. it likes to scream anywhere past 3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ_Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 AM   #10
somerset9
Rally Car Newbie

I sometimes get a little conscious of my exhaust. It isn't all that fast, but I firmly believe it's how you drive than what you drive. Slowcarfast rather than fastcarslow
Old 04-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Beluga Racing Exhaust.

Catless non-resonated downpipe down to a dual muffler catback. (one muffler box a little before each exhaust tip.
Cost me ~$500 for the turbo back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #12
Rickybobbi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Thanks but this is for the Golf 2.5
^^^

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #13
lacesoutvic
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 2.5L Golf
USP catted pipe to EJ catback. drone kicks in around 2200-2500rpm and seems worst at ~2350 (according to tach). really isn't bad overall but makes highway cruising around 70-80mph a little loud.

eventual plan is equal length header to catted downpipe, swap the EJ muffler for a borla for tone and custom R-style center tips. i'll debate keeping the EJ resonator vs swapping with a straight pipe after everything else is setup, as well as a drone pipe at that time.

current calculation for the effective drone pipe length is ~34.5 inches so hopefully that will fit next to the downpipe without too much hassle.
lacesoutvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
madbikes
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf 2.5L 5-speed
I used to have the AWE exhaust. As much as no drone is advertised, it is present at a small RPM range because there is no resonator. You either drive at 65 so it's fairly quiet or you drive faster to avoid the drone (pre-2012 5-speed yields different result due to shorter gearing).

It definitely sounds nice and plenty loud, but I was having a little hard time hearing my friends talking to me on the phone after driving 400 miles
APR-Carbonio intake/United Motorsports Tuned/Black Forest Industries 2.5L Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch kit/Black Forest Industries Stage 1 Motor mount+transmission mount+dogbone insert/Bilstein PSS coilovers/034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar/StopTech ST-40 328mm Big Brake Kit/StopTech stainless steel brake lines
madbikes is offline   Reply With Quote