GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 01-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #29
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGti1990 View Post
I got into a very small fender bender about a year ago. I inched forward in 1st gear and ran into a bike rack.... this bent a small section of my hood straight down where the hood meets the front grill. So I have been looking at new hoods and while I'm at it I mind as well look at hoods that save weight. But I really think I'm just going to get that small dent fixed instead (if its under $700). No paint came off so I might be lucky?

I like to save weight where ever possible but I just can't justify $700 for 20lbs of weight savings. And add another 3/400 for paint if you want to paint it.

Seems like after lightweight rims, lightweight battery, and removing the spare/jack from the rear to becomes difficult to shed the weight (keeping the rear seats in). Still, with just those 3 things taken care of its around 100lbs of weight saved. And the lightweight rims and battery cost me well under $700.

Seems to get rather expensive to shed weight after all of the things mentioned above.

Brakes, suspension, control arms, and exhaust all have a lot of weight and are easy to cut on. I think I took 6 pounds off per side by getting a bbk. 2 pounds on each control arm, and I forgot to weigh my exhaust like a n00b.
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #30
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
and i guess to chime back in we should all know by now that a few pounds here and there in suspension/wheel type mods make a nice difference in handling, but not much for accerleration. In fact, even 20 lbs here and there collectively does not really make a difference. A few hundred pounds will but boy would that take a ton of money, may as well just swap engine to a tiny different chassis. I will say though, and i think most would agree, you can notice a difference in handling and acceleration when you have passenger/s or a full trunk. funny how that works
Old 01-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #31
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
the biggest feel I had was adding a 6lb battery and corner balancing, man it's on rails. I want to delete my entire rear seat but I have a 4-door, it looks like garbage.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #32
GreyGti1990
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
the biggest feel I had was adding a 6lb battery and corner balancing, man it's on rails. I want to delete my entire rear seat but I have a 4-door, it looks like garbage.
My thoughts exactly. I went to an 11lb battery and i felt the difference right away. Haven't autcrossed it yet though.

And I share the same thoughts as you with the rear seats. My car is literally the same car as yours from the factory. 6-speed, grey, 4-door, 2011. Although i've got a sunroof. Was really cool to see your car at last years waterfest.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #33
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
The easiest way to turn your GTI into a lightweight track car is to sell it and buy a Miata. Weight reduction on these cars is mostly pointless.
This is simply not true. After dropping 350lbs in my mk6 I can assure you it is formidable on the track and even more so in roll races.

Mx5s are stellar track cars but no where near the power output or functionality. Weight reduction in these cars serves to preserve the latter while increasing its aggressiveness in the circuit

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I went to an 11lb battery and i felt the difference right away. Haven't autcrossed it yet though.

And I share the same thoughts as you with the rear seats. My car is literally the same car as yours from the factory. 6-speed, grey, 4-door, 2011. Although i've got a sunroof. Was really cool to see your car at last years waterfest.
The biggest downside to the 4doors is weight IMO. Its weight not so easily removed either

Radical Edward
Injen1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:51 PM   #34
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injen1us View Post
This is simply not true. After dropping 350lbs in my mk6 I can assure you it is formidable on the track and even more so in roll races.

Mx5s are stellar track cars but no where near the power output or functionality. Weight reduction in these cars serves to preserve the latter while increasing its aggressiveness in the circuit

The biggest downside to the 4doors is weight IMO. Its weight not so easily removed either
All this.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 PM   #35
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:

Thank you. Waterfest will move this year as they shut down Englishtown. If you saw the car now it would look different, port fuel is done, direct port meth has a new layout with a stage 2 PWM solenoid, new headlights, new front splitter, Corbeau seats, etc.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #36
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

What is the difference from 2dr to 4door? 100 lbs max?

The good thing is at ~3000-3200lbs, these are MUCH lighter than most 'sports cars' these days

IDK, I pulled around 200 lbs from my cobalt, from ~3000 to ~2800 lbs, it sure was a rocket but hard to tell the baseline for sure since i was building it during the time as well.

Without an interior, cars are far to visceral to be streetable without gritting your teeth everywhere you go
Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 PM   #37
Cadubya
DUBYA

Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 4DR 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
Thank you. Waterfest will move this year as they shut down Englishtown. If you saw the car now it would look different, port fuel is done, direct port meth has a new layout with a stage 2 PWM solenoid, new headlights, new front splitter, Corbeau seats, etc.

Has the venue change been confirmed for Waterfest? I thought in the press release it said they’d be holding already scheduled summer events.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #38
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
What is the difference from 2dr to 4door? 100 lbs max?

The good thing is at ~3000-3200lbs, these are MUCH lighter than most 'sports cars' these days

IDK, I pulled around 200 lbs from my cobalt, from ~3000 to ~2800 lbs, it sure was a rocket but hard to tell the baseline for sure since i was building it during the time as well.

Without an interior, cars are far to visceral to be streetable without gritting your teeth everywhere you go
I want to say its 80lbs or so. Sure it doesnt sound like much initially but as you mentioned it does make quite a bit of difference.

Case in point is that my k04 car pulls better 30-100 times than most other even though there is a 25hp/25tq differential favoring the lower hp car (91oct map vs 93).

My philosophy on weight reduction is function too. I drive my car every day. I want radio and blutooth and airbags... I want the sound to be a bit tamer... I want carpet. But there is a balance ya know?

Radical Edward
Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 PM   #39
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Injen, can you list what all you've done & dropped to achieve your weight loss?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #40
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Injen, can you list what all you've done & dropped to achieve your weight loss?
Sure:

Base weight 3120 ish (2dr, no sunroof, 6mt)

-Bride seat (30lbs lighter)
-CF hood (20lbs lighter)
-Braille battery (29lbs lighter)
-Flywheel (12 lbs lighter)
-Wheels (44lbs lighter/ 11 per corner)
-rear seats removed (80lbs lighter)

Then lots of odds and ends... brake rotors, lower control arms, exhaust (aluminium steel) Intercooler, lighter tires, removed rear wiper etc

When i weighed my car shortly after buying it (moving overseas in the army you have to) it was 3140. when you weight it you have to have 1/4 a tank of fuel or they will not ship, so i use that as my baseline. Now with the same fuel i weigh 2790

some variables are my meth tank... full its an additional 10lbs or so

Radical Edward
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #41
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

not bad at all man! To take a step back from my statement above, I was saying dropping like 50-100 lbs is not a huge deal. 300 lbs on the other hand, now we're talking.

I have certainly tossed around the idea of taking the rear seat out for a while to see how I like it... car rubs with rear passengers anyway, and shit it's not that hard to put back in if need be. Such an easy 80 lb's GONE.

Dont forget, I bet you removed the rear tire and tools, XYZ - that's another ~40 lbs right there.

Also I just know one day i'm going to get some aftermarket front seats which also will be shedding some weight.

I should get a baseline weight taken sometime...

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #42
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
not bad at all man! To take a step back from my statement above, I was saying dropping like 50-100 lbs is not a huge deal. 300 lbs on the other hand, now we're talking.

I have certainly tossed around the idea of taking the rear seat out for a while to see how I like it... car rubs with rear passengers anyway, and shit it's not that hard to put back in if need be. Such an easy 80 lb's GONE.

Dont forget, I bet you removed the rear tire and tools, XYZ - that's another ~40 lbs right there.

Also I just know one day i'm going to get some aftermarket front seats which also will be shedding some weight.

I should get a baseline weight taken sometime...

Thanks!
Forgot about the tools and spare!

Radical Edward