GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
Sean@forge
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesxx01 View Post
Interesting! Only question is how well does this work in freezing temps?

Mike?
I already answered you on Vortex:

There is no reason to suspect there will be any detriment to the function of the setup in freezing temps.

Personally, I think the idea that the collected fluid will freeze in the tank is a misnomer, or at least not nearly as big of a problem as people make it out to be. I have never seen proof of this actually occuring.

First, the fluid itself is comprised not only of water vapor, but fuel and oil as well, both of which will not freeze, even when mixed with condensation. Even if the condensation portion of the mixture were to freeze, this still only represents a portion of the total volume, and will not result in a solid chunk of frozen liquid in the tank.

Secondary to that, as soon as the engine is started and reaches operating temp, and blow-by gases start passing through the tank again, the heat of those gases will effectively heat up the tank and the fluid contained therein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
sucks you have to cut the engine cover. why dont they just give you a longer piece of tubing? hopefully they will once the final product comes out.
Why provide an unnecessarily long piece of hose just to suit a cutout on the right side of the cover, when the tank is mounted on the left side of the motor?

As far as we're concerned, the kit is not specifically designed to retain the cover, but will accomodate it if you so choose.

If you want to utilize a different tank mounting location on the right of the motor or want to use a longer piece of hose to use the existing cover cutout but the same tank mounting location, you are welcome to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro89 View Post
im still trying to understand why one would buy this? Besides valves not being gunked up with oil (vw didnt think of this?) what else is good about this? im stage II and def wanna make sure my car will be running good many years from now. Thanks
The entire purpose of a catch tank kit is to bypass failure prone OEM PCV assemblies (or the check valves contained within them), and to collect vaporized oil, fuel, and water to prevent buildup on the intake valves which is far more prevalent and has no ability to be cleaned off on direct injected motors compared to port injected motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
Dude, I hate to pick but you asked for it:

You cut a new hole in your expensive engine cover for the Forge hose then you left the original cutout unused right next to it! What's up with that? IMO you should have fit the Forge hose without cutting new holes by looping the new Forge hose out the original hole.
See above.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM   #16
denny
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI
Mike, why not give a longer piece of hose, and if the owner chooses too, cut the tubing down. I would assume an engine cover is a lot more expensive than supplying a longer tube. Also cutting a piece of tubing is probably easier than cutting the cover.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #17
heartcoke

Drives: 2010 Candy White DSG GTI
Oh it's underneath the engine cover, eh.
2010 VW DSG 2 Door Candy White GTi // APR Stage II 1.2 Flash // APR Stage I Intake // USP Non-Catted Downpipe // 17" Denvers // Cloth Interior // Premium Dynaudio // Bi-Xenon Headlights // Tints: 5% Front, 15% Rear, 20% Strip on Front Window//
Bianca Build Thread (Other Mods Listed Here)
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #18
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Mike - are there install instructions on your site?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Tecni
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Mike, why not give a longer piece of hose, and if the owner chooses too, cut the tubing down. I would assume an engine cover is a lot more expensive than supplying a longer tube. Also cutting a piece of tubing is probably easier than cutting the cover.
See above. Some people here just can't read.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
FFAC40
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Black 4-Door MKVI - Sold
Lets get a price and a release date...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: cute, little red car
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonic View Post
in for pics with out the cover. big chunks of machined aluminum are always appealing
This is why your pics are whack. lol
I understand how a catch can works. If you look at my build thread you'll see that I've had one installed since practically day one. And I had one installed on my previous car too.
Mainly, I'm curious about the oddly shaped piece of metal that came with the kit.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
Sean@forge

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Mike - are there install instructions on your site?
Not yet. I still need to write them within the next couple of days.

The process is very simple. The most difficult/time consuming part is the removal of the noise pipe and its support bracket to make room for the tank. Once that's out of the way, it's bolt-on and go.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Sean@forge

Drives:
There are a couple installed photos floating around already that I have posted before.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Bender
Banned

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge View Post
Not yet. I still need to write them within the next couple of days.

The process is very simple. The most difficult/time consuming part is the removal of the noise pipe and its support bracket to make room for the tank. Once that's out of the way, it's bolt-on and go.
Thanks Mike!

Any chance there will be pricing and availability before Mrs. Bender starts to do her Santa Claus thing?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
Sean@forge

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Thanks Mike!

Any chance there will be pricing and availability before Mrs. Bender starts to do her Santa Claus thing?
I would definitely think so!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #26
Sean@forge

Drives:
Since a lot of people have been asking for more details on the "Africa plate".....

The outlet fitting is strategically positioned on the "Africa plate" at an ideal pickup location to draw out the crankcase pressure. It is positioned directly over a baffle/splash shield already integrated into the OEM valve cover that will minimize the pickup of liquid oil, and ensure that only gases and vapor are drawn into the tank.

The fan shaped cutout is a functional feature that allows the crankcase pressure from the lower portion of the block to merge and equalize with the pressure in the head/valve cover. It only requires that a small portion of the OEM PCV gasket be trimmed to accomplish this. This is normally done within the upper portion of the OEM PCV assembly in a complicated mess of check valves and channels, but we simplify the entire setup and keep all of that function hidden underneath the slim profile of the "Africa plate."

Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #27
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
Very interesting! Waiting for pricing..
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
Andyman
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: UG MK6 DSG APR Stg 2
Waiting for price. Subscribed.

Closed Thread