GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: k04 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonic View Post
in for pics with out the cover. big chunks of machined aluminum are always appealing
This is why your pics are whack. lol
I understand how a catch can works. If you look at my build thread you'll see that I've had one installed since practically day one. And I had one installed on my previous car too.
Mainly, I'm curious about the oddly shaped piece of metal that came with the kit.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
Sean@forge
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Mike - are there install instructions on your site?
Not yet. I still need to write them within the next couple of days.

The process is very simple. The most difficult/time consuming part is the removal of the noise pipe and its support bracket to make room for the tank. Once that's out of the way, it's bolt-on and go.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
Sean@forge

Drives:
There are a couple installed photos floating around already that I have posted before.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
Bender

Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge View Post
Not yet. I still need to write them within the next couple of days.

The process is very simple. The most difficult/time consuming part is the removal of the noise pipe and its support bracket to make room for the tank. Once that's out of the way, it's bolt-on and go.
Thanks Mike!

Any chance there will be pricing and availability before Mrs. Bender starts to do her Santa Claus thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle
Everything is a dildo if you're brave enough.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
Sean@forge

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Thanks Mike!

Any chance there will be pricing and availability before Mrs. Bender starts to do her Santa Claus thing?
I would definitely think so!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #26
Sean@forge

Drives:
Since a lot of people have been asking for more details on the "Africa plate".....

The outlet fitting is strategically positioned on the "Africa plate" at an ideal pickup location to draw out the crankcase pressure. It is positioned directly over a baffle/splash shield already integrated into the OEM valve cover that will minimize the pickup of liquid oil, and ensure that only gases and vapor are drawn into the tank.

The fan shaped cutout is a functional feature that allows the crankcase pressure from the lower portion of the block to merge and equalize with the pressure in the head/valve cover. It only requires that a small portion of the OEM PCV gasket be trimmed to accomplish this. This is normally done within the upper portion of the OEM PCV assembly in a complicated mess of check valves and channels, but we simplify the entire setup and keep all of that function hidden underneath the slim profile of the "Africa plate."

Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #27
euro89
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CW MK6 GTI, Manual
Very interesting! Waiting for pricing..
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
Andyman
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: UG MK6 DSG APR Stg 2
Waiting for price. Subscribed.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
omes4life
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Send a message via AIM to omes4life
Price? And where to buy?
The forge atmospheric blow off valve is required for vtec to kick in
Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #30
jerm
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFAC40 View Post
Pictures of the "Africa Plate" in the engine bay can be seen here:

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread...ht=forge+catch
Wow, it really is shaped like Africa!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #31
DubbinIt
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 CSGTI
Must you remove the noise pipe? What if someone plans on using it for a DV relocation in the future?

And is there going to be any way to fit the tubing through the stock cutout?

2013 TT-RS--in safe storage
2013 MINI Cooper S

Last edited by DubbinIt; 11-09-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #32
denny
Oval Newbie

Drives: MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbinIt View Post
Must you remove the noise pipe? What if someone plans on using it for a DV relocation in the future?

Forge said it will not fit the stock cut out unless you place the catch can on the right side (no space). I even asked this question and they said they made it that way since it looks better. I personally would want to use the stock cut out, but unfortunately it doesnt.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #33
Sean@forge

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbinIt View Post

Yes, the OEM noise pipe must be removed. It's location/proximity to the passenger side headlight will simply not allow enough room for the tank. The earlier FSI motor has a differently shaped noise pipe so this was not an issue and this same tank would fit just fine with it, but VW decided to change the noise pipe for the TSI motor and this particular tank will simply not fit.

Rather completely redesign a new smaller tank for the TSI motor, which is still within the same engine bay as a MK5 with an FSI motor, and since most people want the largest possible tank they can get anyway, we chose to remove the noise pipe.

We are looking into potentially offering our own valve relocation setup soon that will utilize a flexible return hose that can more easily be routed out of the way rather than a rigid hard pipe that is takes up otherwise usable space.

Right now, the supplied tubing will not extend through the cutout in the stock cover. You will need to make a small relief hole in the cover or use your own supplied longer tubing.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #34
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

To make way for my BSH catch can, I actually modified the entire front of the engine cover. Take a look at my build pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.
It gives the engine cover a much more symmetrical appearance.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
DubbinIt
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 CSGTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Forge said it will not fit the stock cut out unless you place the catch can on the right side (no space). I even asked this question and they said they made it that way since it looks better. I personally would want to use the stock cut out, but unfortunately it doesnt.
I was thinking that it was possible just to use their hose to exit through the stock cutout then use an elbow to redirect it directly to the passenger's side.

Quote:
Yes, the OEM noise pipe must be removed. It's location/proximity to the passenger side headlight will simply not allow enough room for the tank. The earlier FSI motor has a differently shaped noise pipe so this was not an issue and this same tank would fit just fine with it, but VW decided to change the noise pipe for the TSI motor and this particular tank will simply not fit.

Rather completely redesign a new smaller tank for the TSI motor, which is still within the same engine bay as a MK5 with an FSI motor, and since most people want the largest possible tank they can get anyway, we chose to remove the noise pipe.

We are looking into potentially offering our own valve relocation setup soon that will utilize a flexible return hose that can more easily be routed out of the way rather than a rigid hard pipe that is takes up otherwise usable space.

Right now, the supplied tubing will not extend through the cutout in the stock cover. You will need to make a small relief hole in the cover or use your own supplied longer tubing.
Nice theory, nice product, and I hope to see your solutions soon!

2013 TT-RS--in safe storage
2013 MINI Cooper S
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #36
burtomr
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI DSG+APR S2
Quote:
Please fix this.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #37
denny
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
Please fix this.
i concur
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #38
dsm1983
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtomr View Post
Please fix this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
i concur
If either of you were serious about having a cc, then you wouldn't let this bother you.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
burtomr
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI DSG+APR S2
Say what...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1983 View Post
If either of you were serious about having a cc, then you wouldn't let this bother you.
Really? How did you become the 'authority' on catch cans?

FYI I am serious about a "cc" and I would like it to fit without any cutting. As Forge Mike said: It would work at stock cutout location if I "use (my) own supplied longer tubing". IMO it looks alot better and functions just as well using the stock cutout location. Just because the OP decided to cut his own hole doesn't make me any less serious because I don't want to cut mine.

Summary: A nice looking product that would be alot nicer if it fit without cutting the expensive engine cover. Peace '83.

Last edited by burtomr; 11-10-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #40
denny
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1983 View Post
dsm, maybe people dont want be cutting through there engine cover. Ever think about that? its not a matter of functionality, its a matter of aesthetics. Not everybody is a hardcore racer like you.

Closed Thread