GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
_Nick_
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf
Intake worth the money

I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting money into an intake for my 2.5l. I want it to be a little quicker, but with out having a turbo people keep telling me it won't do much. How do u guys like your intakes?
_Nick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
megacollect
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MK6 Golf Base
I mean it sounds good
megacollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Make you're own for under $80.
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
FlowMK6
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Golf 2.5 5spd
It might improve the throttle response a bit, but it won't give performance really, it's more for the sound

As said above, you can make your own or if you want to buy an intake, I would recommend the USP intake and to avoid hydrolock, you could get an air filter wrap from K&N
FlowMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
No
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Rickybobbi
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 golf 2.5 MT / 2013 MB GLK-250
made my own for under 80..gives good sound and maybe tiny bit of better acceleration but mostly for the sound. Don't waste your money on those 300+ intakes, much better to make it yourself if that's all your doing to your motor.
2011 GOLF 2.5// LED TAILS // 18" BLACK RIMS // 2 12" KICKER SUBS // REAR EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // FRONT EMBLEM BLACKED OUT // DE-BADGE REAR // LED INTERIOR // HID HEADLIGHTS // 8" ANDROID HEAD UNIT // 35% TINT ALL AROUND // FK STREETLINES //
Rickybobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Staver
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 MKVI Golf - 2.5L
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
I'm trying to decide if it's worth putting money into an intake for my 2.5l. I want it to be a little quicker, but with out having a turbo people keep telling me it won't do much. How do u guys like your intakes?
Hi Nick,

Putting an intake on my 2012 Golf was the first thing I did. Being an avid motorcyclist, one of the first things that many people do on a bike is to get a better air filter and improve how the engine breathes. So with this in mind I looked for an intake and went with an AEM intake. Installation was pretty straightforward with a few areas that required patience and staying focused, took me about 3 hours from start to finish.

Is it worth the money ? Well I found it a little pricey but was pleased with the result. Yes there are some claimed power curves that came with the intake, don't know how true that is, but all and all I was pleased with the changes to my golf... bit more responsive, enjoyed the change in the engine sound, and it was a great starter project... with either some real or placebo hp and torque changes.

Mark
Staver is offline   Reply With Quote