GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Wheel Sizes Actually Fit?

ksing44

Ready to race!
To speak to the orignal thread question about wheels sizes and lowering cars "slightly" I wanted to share my experience.

I did thorough research into my combination of wheels, tires, and suspension setup to ensure I wouldn't have clearance issues (rubbing).

Well, after hearing people give testimony after testimony (even seeing that same chart above posted over and over again in different threads, even on different forums), I purposefully chose the least aggressive/least evasive setup to ensure I did not push the limits.

The choice: 18x8 ET45 w/225/40 Michelin PS2s + Neuspeed Sport Spring + Koni FSD shocks.

The result: RUBBING!

You are a great help to many for speaking out. As I posted just before the chart, the 18" x 8.5" ET 45 is clearly not flush. Many say they run that size without issue, but how can that really be true considering the wheels are outside of the fenders. It just doesn't make sense.

I have seen that size wheel with the tires tucked under the fenders, but they must be running excessive negative camber to get them under the fenders. There are also guys doing fender pulling, tire stretching, and whatever it takes to get the tires under that car. It is a bit ridiculous, even though it looks cool.

I decided not to go with the Interlagos, 18" x 8" ET41, because of the front poke. Many seem to run the set-up, but I do not want poke. I thought 18" x 8" ET45 might be OK, although it was a little too close for me. I am going with 17" x 7.5 ET47. I'm very confident I will be fine, even after going lower.

18" X 8.5 et. 35 is pretty flush front and back if ur going for that
I'm sure you are a great guy and your car is probably gorgeous, but I doubt that is true.

Last edited:

RedlineMotorworks

Go Kart Champion
I just want to clear something up...flush does NOT mean it won't rub....it is simply a term to indicate where the wheel sits with reference to the outer most part of the fender. Flush means the wheel and fender are on the same plane.

With that said, 18x8.5 ET35 is certainly not flush. That setup will definitely poke and if you're lowered any amount, you will rub.

I ran 19x8.5 ET45 on my Mk5. That was flush. A 1.5" drop gave me very slight rubbing on the track and big dips in the road.

My new wheels are 19x8 ET45. It's pretty damn close to flush but I'm now lowered over 2" so I needed to stiffen up the suspension to ensure no rubbing. If I was on my old 1.5" drop, I wouldn't have rubbed.

So when asking the question, what wheel sizes actually fit, you need to know what your suspension setup will be to choose the best wheel for you.

ksing44

Ready to race!
You know, I think we are getting somewhere with all of this. The truth can set you free.

One other thing about being flush, on the MKVI the front wheels stick out more than the rear wheels. If you are flush in the back, you will poke in the front. If you are flush in the front, then you will be short of flush in the rear. That is unless you run staggered wheels or you use spacers. I don't want spacers or a staggered set-up, so I am going to be close to flush in front, and just a bit tucked in the rear.

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
hmmm...decisions decisions, oh and a little live n learn needs to be made here i suppose? every account is different i live in wv so the dips are pretty big, i wont be on a track, so no worries there, i guess just pretty aggressive street driving is what id be worried about at a maximum....

another question.rolling the fenders. what exactly does that do to the fender? and i dont want responses such as it rolls the fender... maybe if someone had a simple cross section of the fender rolled and non rolled would help point out exactly what it does.

mk6GTIvenom

Ready to race!
This is a very good thread. Many people including myself need this info to help out on our choice of wheels, tires and lowering. My conclusion since I already have Eibach Sportlines [1.4"] is to go to a 18x8 ET45 OZ Ultraleggera wheel and keep my Hankook v12 evos. This should result in a 12mm gain from the outside edge of the wheel. My current wheel is a VW 18x7.5 ET51 with no rubbing issues. Any thoughts on this?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
This is a very good thread. Many people including myself need this info to help out on our choice of wheels, tires and lowering. My conclusion since I already have Eibach Sportlines [1.4"] is to go to a 18x8 ET45 OZ Ultraleggera wheel and keep my Hankook v12 evos. This should result in a 12mm gain from the outside edge of the wheel. My current wheel is a VW 18x7.5 ET51 with no rubbing issues. Any thoughts on this?

you would be perfectly fine with that set up

Trainwreck

Ready to race!
hmmm...decisions decisions, oh and a little live n learn needs to be made here i suppose? every account is different.....

Yerp... My 18x8.5 et 45 wheels come in today. I am putting 225/40/18s on. I am at stock height. though come spring time. I am installing koni coils.

I am a little nervous, we'll see how it turns out.

evosky

Passed Driver's Ed
fender rolling basically means you are pushing the inner fender lip up and out of the way (feel the inside of the wheelwell, the is usually a little lip there).

there is also fender pulling, where the fender bulge is actually pulled out to create a wider stance to fit wider wheels under the flare.

so the conclusion is that with a 1"-1.5" drop, 18x8+45 with 225/40 tires all around should be perfect with no issues if you remove that top screw in the fender liners in the front?

OneHotHatch

Ready to race!
fender rolling basically means you are pushing the inner fender lip up and out of the way (feel the inside of the wheelwell, the is usually a little lip there).

there is also fender pulling, where the fender bulge is actually pulled out to create a wider stance to fit wider wheels under the flare.

so the conclusion is that with a 1"-1.5" drop, 18x8+45 with 225/40 tires all around should be perfect with no issues if you remove that top screw in the fender liners in the front?

:thumbup: thanks man!!

mk6GTIvenom

Ready to race!

ksing44

Ready to race!
Just got them mounted. They are Monte Carlo wheels from a Passat (B6). I actually copied "71sbeetle", he was a genius to find these wheels!!! The car is dirty and I'm clearly not a great photographer, but I just had to show you all. I love them!!! 5 nice simple sturdy spokes, 17" x 7.5" ET47, almost flush in front with just a little tuck in the back. I think they are perfect!!!

new wheels from the side

new wheels from the front

I had to show you this reflection, even in my dirty car (rear wheel)

What the heck, front wheel too

I plan to go a little lower in the future and I am going to go to a slightly taller and wider 235/45/17 tire.

Last edited:

rodga

Passed Driver's Ed
hi guys
im sure it wont work
but on the slight chance that it might....

will 19x8,5 ET32 work on G6 gti??